ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

The belt looks FANTASTIC, markus. I've been wanting to tan mine, but we haven't had a sunny day in ages. The tanned leather goes so well with the brass.

Today my friend Julian and I were out early again, for our Market People project. Often I start these posts with "out early". But we were out early!

Billingsgate market, London, 4.50 am. This is where all the restaurants and retailers across London source their fish.

1outsidemarket.jpg

We were off for a shoot involving market holders. We had one guy we were pretty sure would do it, then it was all on spec. Slightly intimidating, as these are old school traders - Billingsgate has been famous for centuries for its loud foul language (Hence the phrase "swearing like a fish wife"). Course, they were sweeties. Went like a frickin' dream.

2marketfloor.jpg

We had to wait around for our first fella… every stall holder is crazy-busy, taking orders, moving fish around, writing up entries in their book. But obviously, you have real characters.

THis is one of them. "Mick eels".

3mickeels.jpg

We'd been taken in to the market by a friend who runs a fish shop. She told us Mick was "abrupt". But I march up, give him a business card and a quick spiel, then his daughter kate goes "it's for a Blog, dad, you should do it." And then this big bear of a man, real East Ender, poses for photos with a tray of jellied eels.

They supply eels to pie'n'mash shops across the East End. Perfect for us.

4jelliedeels.jpg

I love this place. Filled with noise… we photographed five people. One of them, Ali, at the back here, is muslim, his stall is called Billingsgate Exotic Fish. We get him posing with a huge frozen kingish, this stern looking guy but with a huge smile on his face. Meanwhile, all the East End traders are shouting "Here ali, you know when they print that photo, you'll be holding an AK47!".

7Exoticfish.jpg

8Harring.jpg

All around, trays of fish; high quality, fresh, no fishy smell at all.

11pointy.jpg

We photographed the white-haired gentleman on the left - they are the Bush family, one of the longest-established traders here. again, sweet people, when you maybe expected them all to be a bit… hard-boiled.

5Bushfamily.jpg

We'd got enough, but I fancied someone holding a big old crab. I'd tried this fella's dad, he put me on to the son, Gary. I was disappointed until I looked at that big granite face, and then he picked up a huge blue lobster in one hand, big brown crab in the other. still the market is manic busy, more people shouting and getting in the frame and ruining the shot. Julian, my photog mate, showed me: one perfect frame. Yes.

9Gary.jpg

His stall stretches over two units, hundreds of crabs, lobsters - we got him with the huge blue fella.

lobster.jpg

crabs.jpg

6am. Suddenly it's getting quieter.

10gettingquiet.jpg

Time for a cheap breakfast.

12cupoftea.jpg

Dawn was breaking as we emerged

14dawn.jpg

Billingsgate was based by the Thames, from the 16th century. In 1982 it moved out of the city, close to Canary Wharf. At the time it was a quiet area, now the finance district is moving east - and the city is crowing the new area. Two phallic monuments to banking have popped up to flank the market.

15billingsgateandbarcalys.jpg

Finally. Home. Dawn over Greenwich. Espresso machine is warming up, and an hour of peace before the school run…

Dawn.jpg

So far we've photographed junk dealers, clothes, antiques, war surplus, textiles, books, you name it. When we launch the site will be here/.

Many thanks for the soap recipe Zissou! Hats off to you - I'm not sure I will have the patience to try this when the time comes for a wash!

Mike - lovely Melbourne shots & evo pics. Gawd - the food!! :eek: Where is that place??

Paul - fantastic pics - I am really looking forward to seeing more of the Market People project :) And our little one will be going on a school trip in a couple of weeks too - only one night, but Mrs Riff & I already have plans... :D

A mini update. These won't be getting a wash anytime soon....

e15b0312.jpg

7a7b40fa.jpg

09f6c4e5.jpg

a5e76fe2.jpg

12d7e184.jpg

Still cant rep mate.

Looks great with the B-10 and the roy's. emailed Warren at SFVmercantile this morning, expect to be ordering later this evening.

Thanks for the headsup!

do it,caps are worth every penny.couldnt justify the salt'n peppers for myself,but fully satisfied with the duck and denim ones.shipping took 8 days.(and slipped through customs,ha!)

A catch up from the past couple of weeks....

My ROYS and I took my boy on his first trip to the zoo. Among others we saw bears...

5595965784_b3fd49fae9_z.jpg

And a giraffe

5595967202_e1cc0a62f8_z.jpg

We spent the weekend in Tuscany, eating fine cured pig fat, drinking coffee and strolling the streets of Pistoia and Lucca.

5595384925_3150d19dce_z.jpg

5595972630_67df19c9df_z.jpg

5595970010_4e0c2cee1b_z.jpg

Today has been such nice weather here, it's time to start taking back control of the garden. Starting with cutting the grass....

5595390875_ac6ccde3da_z.jpg

I have done a few days of fencing and garden work in my ROYS they could do with a second wash. I'm trying to hold off for a few more weeks though.

Denim pics to follow at the weekend.

Some what I was wearing.

RNR vest

KTH shirt

good ole ROYs

008medium.jpg

013medium.jpg

My old lady was given me shit about posing for the camera so me and the little guy did one of these. This is my avant garde interpretation of blue steel.

007small.jpg

We took some time this weekend to hit up the Long Beach aquarium. Great joint and pretty cheap thrills.

This is me and the son with the shark. My son had to let the shark know that he isn't suppose to have feet. He should have a fin. "Sharks don't have feet daddy." Was his excuse.

038small.jpg

Us touching the goodies. Some sea cucumbers, starfish, anemones, etc.

030small.jpg

the son was just amazed at the "nemo" fishes. I thought him staring at them was pretty cute.

033small.jpg

Nice pics rnr.

Rnr junior will be a real heart-breaker someday. Oh wait, that's Past rnr, so he won't. Or will he? Can Past rnr retain his innocent cuteness and avoid becoming the snarky hype-deflating internet dandy that Present rnr is, or the raging egomaniacal laws-of-physics scofflaw that Future Rnr will have become?

Anyway, gotta spread...

edit- and cash- nice lighting!

Lots of posts since I went to sleep, time to catch up~

Mike - lovely Melbourne shots & evo pics. Gawd - the food!! :eek: Where is that place??

Thanks riff!

Melba restaurant, attached to the Langham Melbourne Hotel.

walking around town today intending to take some pics for a wayjdt post. so as i was taking some pictures I walked past a building I was not entirely familiar with saw a shot and took it. There were no posted signs. I was across the street from a Family Dollar, on a main street. I didn't really think about where I might be in town.I made a very very stupid snapshot, turns out the building I took of was the county jail.

I was questioned and had to show all 323 pictures on my SD card (mostly of my Roys) to the cops. Fortunately I have no priors, and don't know anyone currently incarcerated or else i'd be getting jail fades.

I was shaking, and was ___ that close to being in need of a second wash in 2 weeks of the ole roys.

Needless to say I won't be taking pictures in downtown Lexington ever.

The moral of the story is when you have a camera in your hands don't be stupid.

Whoa robbie, that's a crazy story, I've gotten yelled at a fair number of times while taking photos, but I've never been arrested, let alone had an official confiscate my SD cards.

While I'm not a lawyer by any means, I'm actually fairly sure you were illegally detained, and basically had your rights violated. There was a recent ruling that allowed photographers to take photos of anything from a public street (http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/27/see-officer-i-can-too-take-that-picture/), there's actually a document in there you can print and show to people. There's another great document here: http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

I'd also notify this site: http://www.copblock.org/cameramap/ about what happened.

Sorry that happened, that's absolutely insane.

Nice pics rnr.

Rnr junior will be a real heart-breaker someday. Oh wait, that's Past rnr, so he won't. Or will he? Can Past rnr retain his innocent cuteness and avoid becoming the snarky hype-deflating internet dandy that Present rnr is, or the raging egomaniacal laws-of-physics scofflaw that Future Rnr will have become?

Anyway, gotta spread...

edit- and cash- nice lighting!

Dude, he's getting cooler and cooler by the day. He will be mind exploding cool by the time it matters.

Whoa robbie, that's a crazy story, I've gotten yelled at a fair number of times while taking photos, but I've never been arrested, let alone had an official confiscate my SD cards.

While I'm not a lawyer by any means, I'm actually fairly sure you were illegally detained, and basically had your rights violated. There was a recent ruling that allowed photographers to take photos of anything from a public street (http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/27/see-officer-i-can-too-take-that-picture/), there's actually a document in there you can print and show to people. There's another great document here: http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

I'd also notify this site: http://www.copblock.org/cameramap/ about what happened.

Sorry that happened, that's absolutely insane.

I was not arrested. The officer asked me to delete the picture of the building from my SD card , and they asked me several questions about where I lived, where I worked, et cetera. The Sheriff was very cool. He explained how sensitive the security is around his prison, and how this type of behavior is extremely suspicious. I was completely compliant, and explained it was a matter of seeing something and not realizing what I'd photographed was a jail.

I live very close to this jail, so it being secure is within my best interest. I have no problems with anything that happened, honestly I am more embarassed than anything.

I do appreciate that though, I am totally printing a copy off and tucking it in my wallet/camera bag.

Must spread, Rob-0, but that's a crazy story. Did I ever tell you about the guy in my photography class who took a picture of the US Bank building in downtown Lincoln for our architecture project and the cops showed up at his place of employment later that afternoon? Apparently someone with the exact same make, model, year, and color of truck as him had robbed several US Bank locations in Lincoln and Omaha that month.

Haha, As I was recounting the story to the wife she reminded me of a time I almost got arrested when I was at Union. We were downtown taking pictures of the penis of the plains, and 4 cops pulled up sirens blazing.

Also, I was almost arrested for taking pictures in Omaha at an abandoned gas station.

Basically cops seem to get sensitive when they see a person with a camera.

@ ran: Nice area where your friend lives! Funny that 15 years ago that area was a red-light district :P

You should come back and visit Melbourne some times!

@ entertainment!: Haha, it's mostly Women's Day and assorted gossip magazines now...

Haha, As I was recounting the story to the wife she reminded me of a time I almost got arrested when I was at Union. We were downtown taking pictures of the penis of the plains, and 4 cops pulled up sirens blazing.

Also, I was almost arrested for taking pictures in Omaha at an abandoned gas station.

Basically cops seem to get sensitive when they see a person with a camera.

Wow... very different situation where I live.

Right near my house is our state's parliament house, and everyday you'll see tourists and wedding parties snapping photos there.

Wow... very different situation where I live.

Right near my house is our state's parliament house, and everyday you'll see tourists and wedding parties snapping photos there.

Land of the Free bro!!!!!!!!! :(

The Sheriff was very cool. He explained how sensitive the security is around his prison, and how this type of behavior is extremely suspicious.

No, it's not. And he probably did not have the right to stop you, request to see your photos, or ask you to delete any of them. If you have his name I would speak to one of his superiors about the incident.

located straight across of the Redwing Hamburg store you find Feldenkirchen,who share our passion for quality garments.today they held a little party,showing two lovely bikes from Ehinger Kraftrad(http://ehingerkraftrad.com/),a Hamburg based company,building classic bikes with their distinguishable design blended perfectly in with todays standards.

5598052505_93577715cc_z.jpg

5598050369_40ff646d70_z.jpg

5598050035_5e1f7464ff_z.jpg

if you cant effort a complete engine rebuild go for their classy merchandising stuff

5598050615_16e81cff8b_z.jpg

their trademarkdesign,a true peace of art

5598633326_c26475ab9e_z.jpg

what a beauty,so bad i sold my soul to Lambrettas and Vespas

5598050885_8689f41ee1_z.jpg

the bellmouth is needed to protect dogs and kids to get sucked in

5598051527_1e9f35ac33_z.jpg

5598053087_fef0c064ce_z.jpg

any clue what used to be in that canister?

5598634452_0d61166f03_z.jpg

surprise of the day was meeting my old friend Dan,which i hadnt seen for years.was very pleased to see him wearing LVC and RW engineers.good boy.

5598635756_7a63af762d_z.jpg

and no,it didnt stop there,i had about four more beers.and cigarettes.oh well.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

http://diary.burgundschild.com/

Wabash and Roys, two great tastes that taste great together. Have to say Fresco is Kinging that so far, but taking nothing away from switch.

Off topic a bit, but.....

I guess I took offense to this. What you talking about willis? This isn't even with the Freewheeler's chore coat I snagged out from under your nose on ebay. I guess you are still smarting from that.

007medium.jpg

Chiggity check yo' self before you riggity wreck yo' self.