ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

zissou has really got something going on with those whiskers and they are nice indeed. i love those huge cuffs as well (even though you're planning to double cuff) and think you should wear them the way they are since you're probably tall enough to go with the huge cuff.

roy6 nice touch with the suspenders they look perfect. fit is spot on as well. havent seen a terrible fit yet on these. this thread is going to be gold once all of us get our pairs (i hope). great stuff all around guys.

Boyd Fowler? :P Just kidding. Jeans look great. I've been rocking the mustache for a while now too.

I just googled this dude. Haha. That was the look I was going for!!

I like that fit. Baggy jeans give some real cool fades that are a nice change from the defined creases of tight jeans.

By the way, what shirt is that?

rnr, my wife got me that blue chambray shirt from the new Dry Goods Levi store, I think it was around 50 bucks.....aho It looks like I got a little shrinkage in the thighs and that's about it. Roy6 I really like the suspender buttons, I was thinking of taking some of my original A.B elfelt brass buttons off some of my pieces but i am not sure yet?

hoolyyyy shit. Thirty six pages in this thread since I last looked at it. Just returned to the parents' house and opened my package. Excited. Very. Hot soaking will happen tomorrow, as well as catching up on this damn thread.

Also, bummed I didn't get to see roy6's fit in person whilst in the bay area. Stars did not align this time, but hopefully they do next time!

rnr, my wife got me that blue chambray shirt from the new Dry Goods Levi store, I think it was around 50 bucks.....aho It looks like I got a little shrinkage in the thighs and that's about it. Roy6 I really like the suspender buttons, I was thinking of taking some of my original A.B elfelt brass buttons off some of my pieces but i am not sure yet?

You've gotta. How perfect to use old vintage hardware to customize your ROYs. One more dimension on an already multi-dimensional jean.

Truth be told, I was considering having a tool pocket made for mine from some of the 1800s fabric samples you sent me last year.

Also, bummed I didn't get to see roy6's fit in person whilst in the bay area. Stars did not align this time, but hopefully they do next time!

I know- stupid holiday and alcohol getting in the way. I wasn't feeling so pretty yesterday.

You've gotta. How perfect to use old vintage hardware to customize your ROYs. One more dimension on an already multi-dimensional jean.

Truth be told, I was considering having a tool pocket made for mine from some of the 1800s fabric samples you sent me last year.

Tool pocket sounds like a good idea, I think I gave you a piece of some dark blue 1890's denim when I saw you in S.F. You should use that piece.

Sansome, I think that fit is cool. It's close to how that shape was designed to fit.

I'm quite serious when I say that if anyone wants to get maximum shrinking, a hot wash without soap at 95 degrees (european temp, rnr, ie just short of boiling) will take over two inches off the waist, and won't lose any indigo - in fact, they're likely to get darker. It takes out more of the starch, and gives a look very like that Sugar Cane one wash.

dkatz, I"m happy for you, but even more forlorn at the thought that your ROYs might reach africa before mine reach London...

Sansome, I think that fit is cool. It's close to how that shape was designed to fit.

I'm quite serious when I say that if anyone wants to get maximum shrinking, a hot wash without soap at 95 degrees (european temp, rnr, ie just short of boiling) will take over two inches off the waist, and won't lose any indigo - in fact, they're likely to get darker. It takes out more of the starch, and gives a look very like that Sugar Cane one wash.

dkatz, I"m happy for you, but even more forlorn at the thought that your ROYs might reach africa before mine reach London...

Paul - I have a pair of SEXFHXRR10's that are about 2-2 1/2 inches too big in the waist. I'm assuming the 95 degree wash would help me get max shrinkage on the waist as well?

The sizing guide states that I should only get about .75 inch, which would still leave them pretty big.

thanks!

Overall, I am loving the fit! I have been telling myself for a while that I need to try some jeans that are a little roomier, and I think these are it. The waist is still a little snug, and I have some kind of little wedgie going on, but I think that will all stretch out in a week or so. I'll likely double cuff once the jeans relax and I know where I want the cuffs to sit.

Zissou, I have some of that wedgie action going on too. Not as bad as with my first pair of Roys though which took about twenty wears to get comfortable.

I'm in the same boat as Sansome. Two soaks and the seat is still huge. Rest of the jean fits as expected.

They look great.

Remember, we need the room to put our hands in our pockets!

Nice pic and lighting, too.

Paul - I have a pair of SEXFHXRR10's that are about 2-2 1/2 inches too big in the waist. I'm assuming the 95 degree wash would help me get max shrinkage on the waist as well?

The sizing guide states that I should only get about .75 inch, which would still leave them pretty big.

thanks!

COuldn't really say, it's different denim so shrinkage etc might vary. That said, I think one hot soak - or wash - is better than several warm ones. NIce jeans, the most interesting ones unveiled in the last few months alongside the ROYs, good luck with them.

Yea very good fits indeed.

(IMO Roy6 kills it for the moment)

but i think that we didnt see more than 25% of the contestants so far....

Hopefully that's just because they're outside the US and still waiting to recieve them.

Interesting pair of jeans you guys got. I'm digging the back pockets, and really like style of cinch being used and the patch (though I'm suprised the patch is on the inside). Best part, so far it doesn't look like anyone tried to size down three. Glad to see most are sporting a manly, pre WWII fit.

Roy_1.jpg

Looking good. I like the relaxed look a lot.

I'll feel more comfortable with the "relaxed look" once the denim relaxes a bit (something of a bubble butt going on right now). I dig that my hands go to my pockets without any problem (big benefit for a wanker like me, sup UK).

I dig the tighter look on some of you gents, but I didn't want to risk an unwearable jean after two or three washes and opted for middle-of-the-road sizing. After reading Paul's excellent interview with R. Tharpe, however, I'm convinced we won't see "extreme" secondary shrinkage, er, constriction, once these girls hit the washing machines.

The fabric is otherworldly. I have some macro shots that will show up later this week where the Pima puffed up like a marshmallow in some loom chatter.

^Agreed. Sansome and cash have a great relaxed fit going. Roy6's is spot on as well.

zissou, they fit you so well...Your whiskers will be epic whereas I cannot form any...My thighs fit large relative to the rest of the cut now that things have settled a bit more and they fit more like spring bottoms on me at the moment. Won't be getting any sharp hige but the combs have pretty much set!

Thanks, man. I bet if you gave the top block another hot soak, it would help. Mine are roomier than any other jeans I've worn, but not dramatically so.

haha...your daughter under the desk...great! :D

She insisted on being part of it :)

Right on Zissou! Looking very fine.

How did you attach the suspender button? With thread, right, but how many stitches through, what type/weight thread, with a wind-up finish or not?

I sewed them on with heavy black silk thread from a very old spool that my Mom gave me ages ago. It's from Max Pollock & Co, which operated a silk thread mill from 1900-1940 about an hour from where I grew up in CT. So, the thread could be as old as the buttons (WWI). Two passes through each of the pairs of holes, with a tight wind up finish

conantvillemillsm.jpg

zissou has really got something going on with those whiskers and they are nice indeed. i love those huge cuffs as well (even though you're planning to double cuff) and think you should wear them the way they are since you're probably tall enough to go with the huge cuff.

We'll see about the cuffs. If I do double cuff, they'll be at least 2" still.

where is your fitpic farhad?

Yeah!! :)

Roy6 and Zissou - top of the class

Cheers, beats!