ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

It's unoxidized indigo. I noticed when I soaked my nipper's 302, the water was completely yellow without a hint of blue. I am guessing that a mill can keep dipping yarn in oxidised indigo and it will look darker but the colour will lift off straight away because it's not formed a bond with the yarn. With a yellow tinge, I'm hoping that colour wlll stick better, like 60s Levi's.

It's unoxidized indigo. I noticed when I soaked my nipper's 302, the water was completely yellow without a hint of blue. I am guessing that a mill can keep dipping yarn in oxidised indigo and it will look darker but the colour will lift off straight away because it's not formed a bond with the yarn. With a yellow tinge, I'm hoping that colour wlll stick better, like 60s Levi's.

I always assumed it was starch. But, these shouldn't be starched if they are loomstate, correct?

I always assumed it was starch. But, these shouldn't be starched if they are loomstate, correct?

I think they're starched as they smell like starch. Isn't starch added during the weaving process and if not I assume ROY adds starch to stiffen up the fabric when sewing.

well i am like everyone else in europe waiting for those babies to land here.

i guess that with snow storms they might be delayed a bit more. ...

the patch is killer tho

any info on the 33/35 pair of Farhad?

how many received their pair already ?

I think they're starched as they smell like starch. Isn't starch added during the weaving process and if not I assume ROY adds starch to stiffen up the fabric when sewing.

Starch is added to the warp yearns; normally the factory applies more starch or sizeing during the finishing but that hasn't been done here. The fabric I've handed has much less starch than normal.

Zissou is right, though, some of that yellow is definitely sdtarch or other sizeing agents. But it's always a good sign when you don't lose indigo with soaking.

By the way, I think people should chill re sizeing, these jeans will suit being one inch under or one inch oversize. After all, early Levi's were only available in two inch increments. But it would be great if people who've got theirs would post pre-shrink dimensions.

I think when we were sizing, Roy asked what size we wanted to be left with after soaks/washing as the denim is proper STF due to it's untreated 'loomstate' (I asked for a 34, so am assuming it will measure 36), hence Farhads 35's will shrink to a 33. I think aho just asked for a 32, 'cos they'll shrink down to a 30 (approx) which is what he wanted to end up with. Correct me If I'm wrong guys.

you are correct

got home today to find a package waiting for me at home that said "jeans" on the box. opened it and found out that it was actually LVCs that i thought were lost after disappearing for 2.5 months. not sure whether to be happy or not.

that patch looks so amazing i cant believe roy actually made all the effort to do it for just 30 pairs. curious with everyone else's experience with regards to what size they ordered and what their pair measured in the waist. leg opening looks bigger than what im used to. hope they shrink down a bit after the soak if not they're gonna be balloon pants on me..

Patch on the inside - stealth cool, or what?

We haven't discussed this before, but I think the notion of a duck patch, as on the tour pants too, is super-cool. I can't think of other people who've done it.

As far as posting detail shots, or anything, I vote we wait until 1 Jan. It's good to keep the surprise element, but those of us in farflung places will at least be able to enjoy them vicariously at that point. Fair enough?

Hilarious all these people worrying about size issues - I had a dispute with parcelforce over their service charges... what if they hold my pants to ransom? Hopefully ROY didn't send recorded, in which case I (and, er, Dr Heech) might be ok.

I say, we can post fit pics on Jan 1st, but no detail shots until at least most of the ROY citizens have received them.

Also, patch on the inside, very cool. It will make the patch age really well. I think the way these jeans are made an outside patch would not fit well.

Another cool thing about the duck patch is that it will most likely shrink less than the denim, so it will get kinda wavey after a soak. For those that have soaked and dried, does that appear to be the case?

I say, we can post fit pics on Jan 1st, but no detail shots until at least most of the ROY citizens have received them.

Also, patch on the inside, very cool. It will make the patch age really well. I think the way these jeans are made an outside patch would not fit well.

Another cool thing about the duck patch is that it will most likely shrink less than the denim, so it will get kinda wavey after a soak. For those that have soaked and dried, does that appear to be the case?

Yea the patch is a little wavy.

^Duck patch is sorta wavy. Pants were still wet when I left.

Soak only produced yellow water.

Boxers where hand washed and bled like a stuffed pig.

Lost roughly 2" in the waist and 3" in the inseam. Came in just as requested.

Nice line of loom chatter below the knee on one leg.

Paul T is no photographer -- his photos did not do the fabric justice.

Thanks again for everyone that put this together: Paul T, RNR, Roy6, real Roy, Almostnice, Ralph Tharpe and Pima Phil.

^Duck patch is sorta wavy. Pants were still wet when I left.

Soak only produced yellow water.

Boxers where hand washed and bled like a stuffed pig.

Lost roughly 2" in the waist and 3" in the inseam. Came in just as requested.

Nice line of loom chatter below the knee on one leg.

Paul T is no photographer -- his photos did not do the fabric justice.

Thanks again for everyone that put this together: Paul T, RNR, Roy6, real Roy, Almostnice, Ralph Tharpe and Pima Phil.

I already wore the boxers to the gym twice. No wash. Raw baby, cuz I am fucking hardcore! Crotch fades already.

Also, ditto on Paul T not being a photographer (I've always thought he sucked, but since it was brought up). The denim is nuts. I haven't soaked yet, but it looks like it will tighten up nicely to yield some really nice dark jeans.

My question is: Has eltopo gotten his jeans yet?

switch- I hope you wore something over the boxer's at the gym lol

Boxer's are way better than I thought btw. pretty dope. I would love a shirt made out of that stuff.

I'm about to soak these bitches.

If they don't shrink enough seems my brotha fardin has offered a trade.

And people stop emailing me to buy my jeans off me. I'm here to stay with all you crazys.

Edit: mine are soaking now. Small amount of Yellow stuff for me. water is turning a little blue which always freaks me out. I did agitate a lot and out in a small amount of bronner's lavender soap. seems like they have shrank quite a bit. I hot soaked for an a hour and did a quick rinse in cold.

Dang, and I almost went to the parents place yesterday (where I get parcels delivered), but thought 'nah'. They're probably waiting. Gotta slurp down this coffee and warm up the truck!

Wist I could post pictures, got a lot to share about these beauties...They are still hang drying now but I've placed a fan directly in front of them now to speed things up. The denim will be amazing! (BTW, is it possible the yellow water could also be more to do with the duck? Forgot to mention it turned darker brown with a bit more agitation on that first soak) Post soak measurements in a bit...And for reference my waist measures around 31-33 (33 on a lazy day) and I was hoping these would shrink to a 30, stretch out back to the 32 as was guessed earlier in the thread...Not sure if my pair's measurements are just an irregularity or not though

I love the way that cash and rnrswitch are dissin Paul T's photography ('cos their's is Soo much better).

So it is apparent that you have seen my work. Thanks for the compliment.;)

The brown/yellow could be from the duck. I think the duck used is the same as for my ROY duck pants and when I washed those the first time there was a lot of brown in the water.

Take my measurements with a grain of salt (probably not the most accurate) All in inches:

Pre-soak -----> Post-soak

Asked for a size 32:

Waist: 32----->31

Front: 11.25----->10 3/8

Back: 13.8----->12.75

Thigh (BiG): 12.5 (might be off)----->12

Knee: 9 1/8----->8.6

Inseam: 33.5 (wanted to shrink to 31)----->30

LO: 8.75----->8.25

Of course, post soak fit pics January 1st...No worries, I won't wear them yet!