ROY X CONE contest, 1.1.11 - 2.1.12

Paul T

A judging panel of Roy, Ralph and RR/Henry Wong will be super awesome, and the most logical way to proceed me thinks... the maker of the jeans, one of the creators of the fabric, and a celebrity denim judge.

I reckon with all the updates in this thread to come, it will be all too easy to recognize a pair of jeans as belonging to a particular contestant when it comes to a group vote - but if Roy really doesn't want to do it, I'm fine with whatever mechanism the group agrees on.

A judging panel of Roy, Ralph and RR/Henry Wong will be super awesome, and the most logical way to proceed me thinks... the maker of the jeans, one of the creators of the fabric, and a celebrity denim judge.

I reckon with all the updates in this thread to come, it will be all too easy to recognize a pair of jeans as belonging to a particular contestant when it comes to a group vote - but if Roy really doesn't want to do it, I'm fine with whatever mechanism the group agrees on.

I did ask Ralph at the beginning to be a judge, I was thinking with Roy; I don't mind the idea of a third, altho of course Henry would be great, as would ringring.

but do either ringring or Henry have any stake in or made any contribution to this whole shebang? I like the idea of external judges (actually I like the idea of a popular vote down to the top 3 or 5 and then having a few judges make the final decision), but I think it should be people who will (have a reason to) care.

^ Henry used to work at Cone and was one of the first people to make Roy known outside a very select circle of people (certainly his custom-made Roy's influenced me to make my first Roy purchase) - I think he qualifies as a judge.

but do either ringring or Henry have any stake in or made any contribution to this whole shebang? I like the idea of external judges (actually I like the idea of a popular vote down to the top 3 or 5 and then having a few judges make the final decision), but I think it should be people who will (have a reason to) care.

I think Henry has a reason to care seeing as how his blog and Ralph Tharpe's blog led me on to ROY, which in turn, led me to start a thread about ROY, which in turn led to Roy6 spitting the idea of the contest, which in turn led us to reach out to Paul T, which in turn led him to reach out to Ralph. Hmmm. Full circle for Ralph. We could make it full circle for Henry as well. If he actually cares enough.

I am down for a popular vote of top 3 or 5 then turning it over to the celebrity judges. RingRing might care less about this whole thing though.

I am down for a popular vote of top 3 or 5 then turning it over to the celebrity judges.

Now, that would be a good idea. Otherwise, how would three judges in different places agree on one winner out of thirty?

I think Henry has a reason to care seeing as how his blog and Ralph Tharpe's blog led me on to ROY, which in turn, led me to start a thread about ROY, which in turn led to Roy6 spitting the idea of the contest, which in turn led us to reach out to Paul T, which in turn led him to reach out to Ralph. Hmmm. Full circle for Ralph. We could make it full circle for Henry as well. If he actually cares enough.

I am down for a popular vote of top 3 or 5 then turning it over to the celebrity judges. RingRing might care less about this whole thing though.

I like the idea of having the people of sUFu vote, as it seems like that would be the most fair way.

But judges would be cool too.

I think if we let the community in, all submissions should be submitted to the 3-4 judges first. Then when the judges have collaborated,and determined a top 5 these 5 submissions are made public anonymously and a vote is held.

I realize that any rep a contestant has was earned, but I'd hate to see rep and popularity beat kick-ass wear.

We're human, so without anonymity there will be inherent partiality, regardless of attempts to the contrary.

-rF

Just my tu'pence worth, but I like the idea of Roy, Ralph and Ringxring as judges. But I'll leave deciding on the details to the Big reps.

I'm reluctantly back in snowy Gloucestershire, as usual,the seasonal airport chaos at heathrow ensured that all flights were cancelled to Sydney until after new years' eve. You just gotta love the UK!

Hopefully re-arrange things for early 2011. Unfortunately that means less wear on the Roys as the temp down under is in the late 20's

Ho ho ho hum... :(

i would actually think that a good way would be to send all our final day evo pics to someone who isn't involved in this competition, a neutral party maybe beatle or somebody else who isn't participating, and from there that person can randomly number each pair's pictures and we set up a poll so that the general public can decide. it cuts down on the amount of bias significantly since each pair is tied to a number instead of a name.

from there, we can probably get 3 special judges to deliberate on which is the best out of the top 3. thats my take on it.

Just my tu'pence worth, but I like the idea of Roy, Ralph and Ringxring as judges. But I'll leave deciding on the details to the Big reps.

I'm reluctantly back in snowy Gloucestershire, as usual,the seasonal airport chaos at heathrow ensured that all flights were cancelled to Sydney until after new years' eve. You just gotta love the UK!

Hopefully re-arrange things for early 2011. Unfortunately that means less wear on the Roys as the temp down under is in the late 20's

Oh, that's a shame :(

Do come visit us soon~ weather is very nice in Sydney at the moment so I hear.

yay for +20's weather(hit 28 today) + 100% humidity... and 6 weeks off work, when they arrive i will be sitting round in my boxers giving you all a head start on the jeans

im thinking we could talk about how to do the judging in about ten months, a lot of time for things to change

^ Oh man, it's freakishly cold for this time of the year in Melbourne these few days - it was 19 maximum in the city today :(

I hope the jeans arrive in time for our annual 40+ degrees week/s - epic crotch-sweat fadez!!!

I feel for you Dr and hope it all turns out ok.

I'm off to New Zealand in early Jan so have my fingers crossed that everything's ok for then.

In other breaking news. ROY emailed me that stuff should be wrapped up 100% by the end of today. Seems the boxers were the headache for him. Oddly enough.

He also said apologies for the delay, but that we all should be happy with our jeans.

I also think we should wait for another 10 months or so before we think about judging. By then there should be a clear front runner that it might not even be worthwhile having judges.

^This begs the question: 3-5 days?

I suspect the mailman wants Friday off as well as Saturday this week. So no present under the tree for me this year -- I was sort of a shitty little snot and don't deserve a goddamn thing, but it would have been nice. Here's hoping for a Christmas miracle.

Anyway, start date?

I say we all start on Jan. 1 we just hold off on photos until the Euros get there pants -- they have plenty of culture and fine food to hold them over.

Photos of New Year's Eve debauchery with the blurred-out jeans?

i doubt i'll be receiving them 1st Jan but it doesnt bother me if everybody wants to start on 1st Jan, if we stick to the agreement that there will be no pictures till everybody gets their jeans though. dont want to spoil any little surprise or details that ROY has in store for us, do we?

^^ agree with ran here, it would be unfair to spoil the suprise.

@cash

culture? fine food? am I missing something?

(that's a rhetorical one btw)

[edit] thanks for the kind words guys.

@cash

culture? fine food? am I missing something?

Fine. The Euros have plenty of pretense and self-importance for a continent full of faded imperial powers to hold them over. There, I said it. I said what I was really thinking. Does that make any of you feel better?

Did you really think I was talking about the British food with names that sound like venereal diseases?

My apologies to folks in Australia, Asia and New Zealand, none of you deserve this extended wait.

(The Britons have suspiciously stayed out of the trash talk?)

I think it's pretty obvious who will be the Judge. Kevin Bacon!

Fine. The Euros have plenty of pretense and self-importance for a continent full of faded imperial powers to hold them over. There, I said it. I said what I was really thinking. Does that make any of you feel better?

Did you really think I was talking about the British food with names that sound like venereal diseases?

My apologies to folks in Australia, Asia and New Zealand, none of you deserve this extended wait.

(The Britons have suspiciously stayed out of the trash talk?)

Hahaha

You obviously are a well travelled, cultured historian-type person, unfortunately us brits have an island mentality and dont like to hob-nob with the Euro-types (unless its footie)

Wtf, Our imperial powers are fading?

(.. shit mate, think i've got a dose of the hot-pots! )