Show Off Your Leather Jacket

Megatron1505

I tried searching Superdenim for a thread broadly on leather jackets, but couldn't find one. And, as it was mentioned in the Small Questions Thread the other day, I thought we needed one.

Mods, if I am mistaken please delete this and move posts as you feel appropriate.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'll kick things off. I have just bought the original, vintage, 70's version of this beauty....

schott-r-police-1.jpg

schott-r-police-2.jpg

schott-r-police-3.jpg

schott-r-police-4.jpg

schott-r-police-7.jpg

schott-r-police-8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I'm loving Schott as a company too. They've been manufacturing in the New York area for almost 100 years, and they have a forum on their website where you can ask questions about your Schott products (new and vintage) and get an answer directly from Jason Schott, grandson of Irving Schott who founded the company. I never saw the same sort of interaction from James Jebbia or Nigo for all the piles of cash which I spent on their clothing over the years.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I stumbled across a pretty cool vintage-y shop and found this jacket which labels itself as being made from front quarter horsehide and looks old and beat up enough (though the leather's still remarkably strong) to be an original bomber jacket... but I know next to nothing on this front. Can anyone more knowledge offer some illumination? Unfortunately I only had a camera phone with me.

imag0073gh.jpg

imag0074y.jpg

imag0076wn.jpg

i recently got 4 leather jackets: one is a full length suede pimp coat lined with shearling, one is a half length duster in cowhide, a motorcycle esque rider jacket in cowhide and a "skin clothes"/ mildly western deerskin jacket lined with "rabbit" feet (i think the real animal is endangered, so rabbit will do just fine). my question is, since they have not been worn since about the 70s, and since they are tight fitting garments, should i oil them up with pecard oils or something? the duster split at the shoulder :(, so i really don't want that to happen to the other two leather jackets (suede is in great shape). any suggestions/ advice?

I stumbled across a pretty cool vintage-y shop and found this jacket which labels itself as being made from front quarter horsehide and looks old and beat up enough (though the leather's still remarkably strong) to be an original bomber jacket... but I know next to nothing on this front. Can anyone more knowledge offer some illumination? Unfortunately I only had a camera phone with me.

imag0073gh.jpg

imag0074y.jpg

imag0076wn.jpg

I think that was a San Francisco company, I believe they were operating in the '40s, and have seen another nice horsehide jacket from them. I would guess not an official military jacket with that label, but it looks fantastic anyway. If the price is under $150, it's a good deal, unless it's falling apart.

Ray- that jacket looks great, could you post a fit picture? I've never heard of anyone doing as good a job with repairs as Aero, unfortunately. Maybe it would be worth the wait...

• 3 weeks later...

found this vintage biker-ish jacket on the bootmarket this morning. think it's mid 70s, but that's only from the name on the press studs which are made by a company that stopped trading in the early 80s.

the label says it's made by lotus... doubt it's the shoemaker, but who knows...

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

and on...

utf-8BSU1HMDExMjctMjAxMTEwMzAtMTYzMS5qcGc.jpg?t=1320013024