the WALKING DEAD Comics/AMC TV Series

Dom

I'm not sure if it will be good for television. I'll hang in there though. It's all I'm really watching right now anyway. What's good about The Walking Dead is that it's outstanding within its medium in its depiction of the madness between people, byzantine fuckery, etc. Most comics are crap in this respect. When the story reaches a point of zombies becoming basically peripheral, can this television series handle it?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta be frank, the last episode was borderline painful to watch.

The dialogue, casting, acting, scene transitions, plot, all get progressively worse every episode. The dialogue and acting specifically.

Am I the only one to think so? Speak some sense into me.

Yeah, they kind of fucked themselves over by having so many filler characters in the camp to begin with. At least they took the easy way out and had them all killed off in the cheesy final scene.

I hate how they keep introducing transient, shallow characters that only serve to cause minor nuisances. This last episode piggybacked off the whole Merle ordeal, which then led to the vato ordeal. How much longer is this uninteresting Merle situation going to drag on for.

I swear to god, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

I liked episode 4 a lot too. The opening scene in the boat was unexpectedly touching, the gang stuff had an interesting twist and we got some zombie action.

This is really what TWD is about, groups of people in tight survival situations eventually letting their guards down and bad shit happening as a result.

I gotta be frank, the last episode was borderline painful to watch.

The dialogue, casting, acting, scene transitions, plot, all get progressively worse every episode. The dialogue and acting specifically.

Am I the only one to think so? Speak some sense into me.

I agree!

Saw the show advertised a month or so before the premier, and was pretty excited about it. I have no experience with the comic book, but a little research on the internet and I've got a basic understanding of where the story is going, who's going to make, and who's not.

First episode was good, things have stumbled since. Since making it to Atlanta, the pacing has really bogged down (and the flood of commercials after the first 20 minutes of each episode isn't helping that). Wouldn't have bothered with the Merle or Vatos story line. Neither add anything, and by bringing the characters back in to Atlanta it contributes to slowing the pace. I'd have had Rick and Glenn back to camp by the end of episode 2, spent episode 3 dealing with the camp members (the back story on some of them, what they've gone through) and the relationship between Rick, Lori and Shane. Episode 4 would have started with more of the same, and more than one zombie encounter near camp (gotta build some tension), with the last 10 to 15 minutes of the episode dealing with the zombie attack on camp. From there you move on to Rick, Shane, Carl, etc.

Lighting? I know it's summer, but broad day light isn't usually the best mood setter when it comes to a zombie story. Characters in general/costuming? I don't believe the survivors at camp have been through what they've been through, and have been living outdoors for the past month. They'd have all been severly traumatized, and some would border on nonfunctioning. They'd all be very tired, short tempered, nervous and wary. Even with a couple changes of clothes, and water to wash it and themselves with, they'd still probably be fairly dirty. And even with a supply of food, they'd probably just eat enough to keep their stomach from growling. They'd all show physical signs of weight loss and depression. Their clothes would fit too big, their posture would be slouched, and they'd probably be very dark and gaunt around the eyes. This might be nitpicking, but it's little things like that that sell a show or movie.

Some other complaints I have, and I know you're supposed to suspend disblief when it comes to comic books and zombies, and people gotta do stupid shit so somone winds up getting ate, but.... in the show their camp obviously isn't more than a few miles outside Atlanta. Why on earth would you camp so close to a threat? Why would Glenn drive all the way back to camp with a car alarm going off? Why would you camp in a wooded area? You need cover, but you want to be up high and have some clearing so you can see your surroundings and what's coming. It's summer in the south, why do you have a fire going at night? It should be plenty hot, and you can cook your food during the day. Like I said, you have to have people do stupid shit, but some of these things are such common sense it means the characters are complete idiots or the writers made no effort.

I'd give the entire series a 3 outta 5 so far. I do want to see it do well though, and I hope things improve over the next 13 episodes.

Setterman, I agree with your idea that people should've been more traumatized/delusional.

That's why I think the guy shoveling for hours because he had a magical premonition, should have rather been shoveling graves for his dead family members out of hysteria and guilt. Shit like that would be more realistic and powerful.

last episode was just redonculous... so many stereotypes so much bad acting. ugh that whole boat scene made me so bored i almost fell asleep

the ending was just too convenient to slim down the headcount of a camp that was just overfilled with fat and well nourished people. the moment they opened the beers i knew something was gonna go wrong (they have beer? are you fucking serious??)

I liked the last episode for one reason alone: it finally showed the audience why the survivors are scared. The comics made clear that while the zombies are slow, they're sneaky as fuck. Up until now, the zombies on the show have been slow and pretty easy to evade unless massed together. This time they were massed and sneaky. Now their fears seem plausible.

The first 10 minutes and last 10 minutes of this week was awesome (even if people you'd never, ever seen showed up at the campfire to die). The vatos were fucking horrible.

i like that white kid trying to play a vato

i liked the 4th ep and thought it was the strongest ep of the season

that tender moment of the vato reveal on how they take care of old people was nice, the comic is full of "humanity is not as fucked up nice people" interaction moments like that, just as much as it's full of "people are fucked up who can you trust" groups

Darabont has fired the writing staff for season 1 apparently. If so, that has to be a plus.

Whaaaaat? Kinda awesome.

Cause I mean, what the fuck is up with this CDC shit? It DOES feel like LOST.

If they're not going to follow some semblance of the comic, then its just another zombie thing... although I do appreciate the concentration being on the characters rather than super zombie action.

I read an interview with Kirkman where he talks about the show. He said they'll generally "stay the course," but allow little detours. It turns out that the CDC is actually located in Atlanta, so it made sense for them to check it out.

Most importantly, it sounds confirmed that eventually we'll see Michonne and the Governor, which will be AWESOME

ok

so you hate this show without having seen it because you saw the advert a few too many times.

most people would be thankful that a good show is being given publicity, but perhaps it's a bad thing?

not really

you're an idiot

I was going to insult you so passively, but not worth it really.

never said i hated the show, or even that i disliked it. i simply stated that the barrage of ads was really annoying.

and i don't really get your second point... i've never seen the show so i don't know whether it's good or not. and even for things that I do like, too much advertising eventually gets annoying.

just watched the finale and it was pretty solid.

can't believe i have to wait another year for the second season... i'm thinking about reading the comics just to figure out what happens, but i kind of like the suspense i'm feeling with every episode with not knowing what happens... thoughts on this? read or just wait?

season finale left me kinda flat. It was basically an informational episode, something I'd expect a few episodes in, but not what I'd expect to wrap up what was originally planned as a six part mini series.

Don't know if I'd believe either character's decision to stay in the CDC as it blew up. Everyone who's made it this far is a fighter, and they know there are other survivors out there. If they were going to quit, they'd have done it by now.

that is true, but maybe the characters were holding in hopes of some government agency still being out there to protect them. for one thing, andrea was pretty grief-stricken after the death of her sister so that might have swayed her. the doctor from the CDC really did give a pretty logical speech saying that it was the most humane way to die also...