the WALKING DEAD Comics/AMC TV Series

Dom

That's the problem with trying to convert comics into live-action. The viewer sees humans acting out scenes, and automatically compare it to realistic expectations.

It's weird, with comics you don't really second guess how realistic the scenarios are, but at the same time you're not constantly thinking "this isn't real".

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the rate the episodes are going, which is similar to the comic, this series should last for-fucking-ever, if it doesn't get canceled that is.

The comics are almost at issue 80 without an end in sight. That's good for at least 6 seasons.

Oh, and since we're on Sufu and all.. Who else noticed Glenn's jeans (the asian guy)? The back pocket design looked familiar, and it's probably some typical brand name, but just was curious.

And speaking of Asian, he does a good job at portraying Glenn's personality in that he's assertive, talkative, and lively, all in good ways. He also doesn't come off as a "typical" Asian actor; he doesn't stand out but rather meshes nicely with the rest of the cast.

i'm the only person i think that is somewhat disappointed with the series so far

rick has a weird accent cause he is english, though in the 2nd episode it is not as noticeable

amc showing laurie getting buttrammed kinda surprised me

of course the comic is better, but i will continue to support this because i love kirkman so much

Only disappointed when I compare it to the comics, and I'm sure most people have a hard time not. Comic withstanding, the show is good, not great though, or at least not yet.

Accent seemed fine to me; I didn't even know he was English.

+1 for buttramming.

read books 1-4 last year. forgot about the series a little bit. watched the first two episodes of the series. walked to barnes and noble, bought book 5, read it in 45 minutes, walked back to barnes and noble and copped book 6. re-read them both this morning before i left for work.

rick grimes bitch

i'm the only person i think that is somewhat disappointed with the series so far

I'm still baffled by people who don't think the first episode was good (if not great). It displayed the horrors of an apocalyptic mass murder and zombies in moving manner. Andrew Lincoln (Rick) does an amazing job actually acting - his expressions, movements, and overall gait throughout the hospital scenes were perfect. The way they reimagined Morgan's character and Lennie James' acting were both superb.

2nd episode was considerably weaker. Really unexpected, really weird overall plot. Part of the problem is that I've read the whole series multiple times so I'm pretty set on what the comic plot is. However, the 2nd ep was pretty universally liked less than the 1st. Having the crazy, uncontrollable redneck there without context was really stupid.

I read a good point: all they had to do was explain that he was a militia man or survivalist with a knack for guns and such. That's it. Instead he's just there for no reason but to be Instigator #1. Such a terrible introduction to the main concept of the comic: people are usually more dangerous than the dead.

rick has a weird accent cause he is english, though in the 2nd episode it is not as noticeable

It's less noticeable because he gives up the ghost and just turns to a basic American accent.

And for the person that asked: the makeup for the half-zombie by the bike took 3.5 hours. Video of the application sped up to 3.5 minutes or so.

http://www.movieweb.com/tv/TVhRXkhqQE3nlj/season-1-on-set-bicycle-girl

Having the crazy, uncontrollable redneck there without context was really stupid.

]

99% sure the redneck will come back in a later episode to harass the group.

When the black guy goes back to uncuff him, he knocks over the toolbox containing the hacksaw somewhat towards the redneck fellow. When the black guy leaves him there, he deadbolts the door to keep him out, or rather to keep the zombies out and him safe.

I say he somehow uses his shirt/tool to make a hook to drag the hacksaw, cuts open the lock, seeks revenge on those who abandoned him. Or he just dies and this was an over the top prediction.

Posted · Hidden by High Monika, February 28, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by High Monika, February 28, 2012 - No reason given

Well, the guy from Boondock Saints is his brother in the series so at the very least there's that issue. The preview for the next ep showed them going after him so we'll see. I figured the thing about the hacksaw was just to show that it was also unreachable since it had fallen between the pipes.

I like it, it has the classic AMC pacing, which kinda turned me off breaking bad eventually...

I think this works in the show's favor. That direct but methodical plot movement will make the violence and brutality (inflicted by zombies and people) more effective, not to mention when longstanding cast members get offed. The best example I can think of is A History of Violence, though I'm sure there are better.

just say it american hearts

well put Hang the DJ

i'm off my nerd lawyering game, although an integral part of being a nerd and posting on a forum is to argue your point eloquently such as DJ, school as simply sucked the gas out of me

can't wait for the rick grimes/laurie/shane conflict, really want to see that dynamic

2nd episode was kinda weak. cheesy, bad dialog like calvin said.

i agree DJ.

i think they introduced too many characters in the 2nd episode. not to mention they are all stereotypical and uninteresting. i feel no connection with any of them. accept for asian dude. i hope he stays solo. (i havn't read the comics)

i could also care less about the love triangle bull shit.

ep3 better shape up.

Compared to the comic, 90% of episode 2's events and dialog were made up. Originally it was just Rick and Glenn (asian guy).

It most definitely seemed a little too cluttered. Too many characters to connect to. Very multicultural group... (trying too hard).

You'll be thankful for the love triangle come episode 3.

Magnetic, do you selectively read my posts and ignore the ones right before them?

My only two posts that mentioned the comics being better were merely responses. They weren't reminders to how the comics were better, but rather reassurances to disappointed posters that the TV show is still good.

A pretty aggravating episode. Considering how far they've deviated from the comics and (from the preview) will continue to deviate, it seems like it would've been smarter for the creators to be more forthright about how different they'll be.

Possible Spoilers

Good

-The acting continues to be pretty decent.

-When I paid attention, Rick's accent was much better.

Bad

-Yet another shitty caricature of a bad guy. Terrific.

-Why advertise the episode as an action-packed rescue when it actually takes about 45 seconds of the episode? It only accentuated how long and drawn out everything about this episode felt. Something about the pacing or direction feels off. Maybe it's because the zombies are pretty slow moving, but there's no sense of real danger to me. So when the zombie shows up near camp it just seems like "hey, there's a zombie" rather than huge sign they need to be wary.

-Norman Reedus' southern accent is worse than his Irish accent.

I feel like I need to take a minute and re-watch the last two episodes without thinking of the comics at all. It felt like nothing was accomplished this episode but c'mon - Rick was reunited with his family, Shane was shittily put out by Lori then beat someone half to death, and the one racist guy went delusional and sawed his arm off (where'd he go, anyways?).

Being that Ive neverseen the comics before, I find it a pretty decent show. Although this last episod kinda sucked, to much dialogue. Yet being the one of the 1st of its Zombie-series kind, its not to shabby. Just personal oopinon though.

Id say try to focus on the show itself, more than worrying about the comparison. Then again, I sorta know how you feel.

I agree DJ. I don't mind the pacing so much, but the transitions throughout this particular episode weren't exactly fluid; felt off for sure.

@tsxser, though I agree the quality of the dialogue was subpar, the amount of dialogue shouldn't really be a problem if you understand what the show is based off of. I know I'm comparing it to the comic again, but this time it's necessary. The main idea of The Walking Dead in general is to show how real people who react to a zombie apocalypse; their emotions, thoughts, and actions. You need a decent amount of dialogue to depict these in depth. (Alliteration up in this bitch)

I think it's best to watch this show with that in mind, rather than expecting a dawn of the dead, fast paced, zombie attacks, massive explosions.

this show falls more into the survival horror zombie thangs, a la early resident evil. there wasn't much fast paced action and just because it's about zombies and there have been a lot of games about em doesn't mean it has to go down the saem boring lane.

i quite like the show to be honest but there have been too many new characters in the last couple episodes, so they all seem kinda 2 dimensional and not very interesting. like i don't really care what happens to any of em. but the series makes an interesting statement how the humans in the group are potentially and actually far more dangerous than the zombies themselves.

ke1, Yeah I understand. I think, they were to change things up, referring to comic-->TV series, because it was beingdirected to the general public. Where as if they were going to make a direct interpretation, they would of made a movie. Something that dedicated readers would purchase/rent. just an idea though.

The dialogue for me, is a bit much, because of just what you said, fast paced, action. I do like the idea that they offer more than just that, they provided some drama, and a story line to go with it. At this rate though, only 3 more episodes to go, I feel we are going to be left hanging severely.