usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

hey while we're talking about instant ramen, how about the incredible instant ramen that is available in japan.

i have two very favorite brands. one is Goota. "goota" is a made up japanese word, but it kinda translates into "lots of fixin's" meaning lots of topings, lots of good ingredients in the ramen. to make goota instant ramen, it's a little bit of a chore. it's the "ramen-in-a-styrofoam-bowl" kind, but there can be up to 6 flavor packs that you have to put in at specific times. the result is a bowl of ramen that is better than almost any bowl that you can get in NYC.

the other brand i like is Chuuka Zanmai. this brand only has 2 flavor packets but you have to boil the noodles yourself. if you add your own toppings and fixins, you get a great bowl of ramen--definitely better than most of the ramen you can get in new york.

chuuka zanmai is available at the japanese markets in NYC. goota might be available but i'm sure it's very expensive.

I actually like pho and ramen. Sometimes at the same time. I was just adding fuel to the fire to see what people would say. Anyway, speaking of instant ramen, there are actual ramen kits that come with everything, down to the onions, menma, chashu and soup. Every ingredient is separated and then put into a box. Never seen it here in the states, though.

hey while we're talking about instant ramen, how about the incredible instant ramen that is available in japan.

i have two very favorite brands. one is Goota. "goota" is a made up japanese word, but it kinda translates into "lots of fixin's" meaning lots of topings, lots of good ingredients in the ramen. to make goota instant ramen, it's a little bit of a chore. it's the "ramen-in-a-styrofoam-bowl" kind, but there can be up to 6 flavor packs that you have to put in at specific times. the result is a bowl of ramen that is better than almost any bowl that you can get in NYC.

the other brand i like is Chuuka Zanmai. this brand only has 2 flavor packets but you have to boil the noodles yourself. if you add your own toppings and fixins, you get a great bowl of ramen--definitely better than most of the ramen you can get in new york.

chuuka zanmai is available at the japanese markets in NYC. goota might be available but i'm sure it's very expensive.

never had the pleasure of having instant ramen, but the RICE BALLS ARE DIVINE.

On a nyc noodle related tip (sorry i may be forcing this one in here), Honmura An is closing for good this Saturday, what a blow. I luckily managed to squeeze in two visits in the past 3 months or so after 2 year absence - but i still wish had i gone more frequently, or simply ate more when I was there.

Tried making a desparate resv for sometime today or tommorow few minutes ago, no luck. R.I.P.

I agree that the closing of Honmura An is tragic. IMO, it was the best soba restaurant in NYC. Their seasonal tasting menu (which I've had 4 or 5 times) has been the most memorable meal I've had in new york. Their ingredients were always a notch above. Bummer...

any more recommendations for top places to visit?

also, what is "if", and where is the number nine botique exactly?

thanks

IF is a quentissential New York boutique for interesting clothes. They introduced the work of Martin Margiela to the United States. They also carry Comme des Garcons, Junya Watanabe, Undercover (women only), Ann Demeulemeester, Dries van Noten, Carpe Diem, etc. etc. etc. It's my most favorite store besides Atelier.

Here's a little listy for ya...

Uptown:

Bergdorf Goodman / 745 5th Avenue

Dior Homme / 17 East 57th Street

Barney's / 660 Madison Avenue

Sak's Fifth Avenue / 611 5th Avenue

Meatpacking District:

Jean Shop / 435 West 14th Street

Jeffrey / 449 West 14th Street

SoHo:

R by 45 rpm / 169 Mercer Street

Atelier / 125 Crosby Steet

A.P.C. / 131 Mercer Street

Seven New York / 110 Mercer Street

If / 94 Grand Steet

Cloak / 10 Greene Street

Blue in Green / 8 Greene Street

Opening Ceremony / 35 Howard Street

East of SoHo:

Famous Friends / 616 East 9th Street (near Tompkins Square Park)

South of SoHo:

Century 21 / 22 Cortlandt Street (between Church/Broadway)

Pizza:

Lombardi's / 32 Spring Street

gawd century 21.....bad shopping experience for me

it takes hunting to find anything worthwhile

the prada and longchamp stores are awesome just to look at....amazing interiors

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently Chikubu on 44th btwn 5th and Madison is closing for good at the end of the month (I have yet to confirm this).

Besides serving one of the better, authentic Japanese food in the city, they are very popular for their Ramen special on Fridays and Saturdays. Their ramen is a no-frills, straight up shoyu-ramen, but its' simplicity def had the Japanese ex-pat community hooked for long time. You could walk in there on any Friday lunch and you would see 90% of the clientele enjoying ramen.

I will be going there this Friday for what could be the last serving of one of the better ramen in nyc.

I am gonna sneak out for lunch early on Friday for

that's too bad. i remember when tatany closed down a while back. that was the ultimate late night ramen spot. :(

in seattle, there was a place called kouraku that had the best ramen i ever had in the united states. they were a very small, hole-in-the-wall place in the international district. their prices and menu had changed very little since the 70s. anyways, they closed up a few years ago. japanese ex-pats lined up around the corner to get their last bowl of ramen. in the line was mariner's pitcher sasaki who was a regular. he always ate a bowl of ramen with saba teishoku. when people offered for him to go to the front of the line, he refused and said that he would wait in line like everyone else.

ramen is the great equalizer in japanese culture. no matter how famous or rich you are, you still wait in line outside for a good bowl of ramen.

Sorry to keep on bumping this thread guys, just got back from my last bowl of ramen at Chikubu - and while waiting for my ramen to come out, found an interesting item in the latest Japion.

Apparently, there is a new ramen shop opening on 1st Ave btwn St. Marks and 9th. It is called Setaga-ya, and it is a NY branch of a ramen shop that has 4 restaurants in Tokyo. Their forte is shio (salt) ramen, and tsuke-men (dipping kind) and they use lots of organic ingredients and whatnot. I am pretty excited to get a japanese franchise out here. their website pics seems pretty promising as well.

www.setaga-ya.com

There's the true coal fired brick oven pizza, which I would suggest Lombardi's or Patsy's, with the nod to Patsy's for being less touristy. If you've never had this type of pizza, I suggest you definately try it.

Then you have the neighborhood pizza shops with the regular gas overs of which there are plenty of good ones. Joes is usually mentioned, which is pretty good. Every New Yorker has their favorite spot they swear by. I would just avoid the generic Ray's pizza spots or the ones that look like it. My favorite neighborhood pizza spot is Sam's which is on West 231st st in the Bronx... it's been open for about 45 years. There are plenty of good places in the Bronx as well as the other boroughs though.