usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

ramen is usually made from boiling pork bones, preferably kurobuta pork. they have fat put aside(se-abura).thats why when you get the kotteri ramen there will be bits of fat that are melting.you ask yourself why the fuck would i want extra fat in my soup?it makes the soup richer,fuller flavored.

there are forms of shio (salt) ramen which are very, very light and subtle.

it is said in japan that as a child you love tonkotsu (thick pork broth). as an adult you love shoyou (soysauce broth), and as an old man, you love shio.

i still can't believe how ignorant that "ramen sucks compared to pho" comment was. you lost major asian points on that one dude. that's like saying japanese women suck compared to vietnamese women.

Ise on 49th btwn Lex and 3rd has 'niboshi ramen'...niboshi is small sardines. the soup is pretty good and it's a good change. but as an overall ramen, it needs lot of work.

If any of you are comfortable navigating through a Japanese websites (is that a given considering all the denim purchase from Japan?), check out the link below, it has rankings of ramen shops in different prefs. of Japan. looking at all the pics def made it clear that I am eating crap - must make plans to visit Japan soon...

http://www.walkerplus.com/ramen/sp/

There are so many varieties of ramen, it's kind of hard to compare it to pho. The pho I've had in the past few years are closer to Sul Loong Tang in terms of flavor.

to play devil's advocate, pho varies in different parts of the country as well. Northen Pho is MUCH different than Southern Pho, which is different that middle of the country. Most American variations of Pho are based on the Southern Pho, which is what I grew up on, so it's what most westerners know based solely on geography of dislplaced immigrants. But Northern Pho is good in it's own right as well. Both ramen and pho are artisan crafts in their own right. That's why I said after tony's comment, it's a good thing you made a disclaimer...because it really is apples and oranges.

that being said, the best place for tonkotsu (thick pork broth) ramen in NYC is?

there are forms of shio (salt) ramen which are very, very light and subtle.

it is said in japan that as a child you love tonkotsu (thick pork broth). as an adult you love shoyou (soysauce broth), and as an old man, you love shio.

i still can't believe how ignorant that "ramen sucks compared to pho" comment was. you lost major asian points on that one dude. that's like saying japanese women suck compared to vietnamese women.

yes, shio is very light and subtle and the stock is most likely taken from chicken bones.still nothing compares to a bowl from japan

SANTOUKA OPENED IN SANTA MONICA????????????????

WHY NOT NEW YORK??????????? WHY?????

Cause LA is better (not really........)

I will have to try this out when I am in LA in a few weeks. I have actually been pretty lucky here in the bay; we have some decent ramen places. This place by my house does a fantastic "Kuro" ramen, which to my knowledge, uses browned garlic as its base. Good stuff......

Santouka is being brought into the states by Mitsuwa Mkt (maybe discount on the rent). Mitsuwa does own JasMart apparently - I wouldn't be entirely opposed to them getting rid of the lame cafe on the 1st floor on St.Marks and replacing it with Santouka. All this talk of that spot has really got me thinking about trekking out to NJ soon.

I think Ramen kicks Pho's ass hands down…

while it is rule of thumb that everything japanese rules supreme on this board, you have no basis until you actually eat Pho in vietnam, it's a whole different game. THEY ARE APPLES AND ORANGES. I won't dismiss pho simply because I've recently fallen in love with ramen, as I've had plenty of good pho's that have beaten ramens. It's all personal preference....again, both are serious business.

while it is rule of thumb that everything japanese rules supreme on this board, you have no basis until you actually eat Pho in vietnam, it's a whole different game. THEY ARE APPLES AND ORANGES. I won't dismiss pho simply because I've recently fallen in love with ramen, as I've had plenty of good pho's that have beaten ramens. It's all personal preference....again, both are serious business.

100% agree...

mizanation seems like your fit to have an aneurysm over this..i think you should go over to chowhound and vent :P

there IS a $2 bus from port authority to mitsuwa... but just for ramen, it's kind of a trek, no?

it would be awesome if they had santouka in st. marks. i would sacrifice any of the crappy ramen spots, even cafes for santouka.

what would be great is if ippuudo opened up in nyc. but that's wishful thinking.

http://www.ippudo.com/index.html

It's only worth trekking up there from the bus when they have like a kyushu, hokkaido, osaka festival going on(check the nj mitsuwa site), when they bring ramen and streetfood vendors from those areas as well as sell fresh frozen food, ramen from famous restaurants. Go on the last day, usually sunday, thats when they mark down those bags of frozen ramen to a buck from 8. Other than that there isnt much to do or see around there, maybe play some golf at the driving range next door..

The bus ride is like an hour, only because it's through the lincoln tunnel, which itself is poorly designed. You have 4 lanes funneling into a 2 lane tunnel. It's actually a lot quicker to go uptown on the FDR to catch the GW bridge.

On my trip to mitsuwa last week, I noticed a lot of zip cars from ny there. I was like damn what's up with all these nissan versas, then I noticed the zip car logo on the window.