usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

• 4 weeks later...

^ Schadenfreude going to get "rich man's disease" aka mercury poisoning from all that sushi.

Siu yuk + roast duck rice

TB6tZke.jpg

where are some of your favorite places in NY to get this dish?

I only been to one in CHINATOWN and cant really fuq with this for its price and quantity,

http://www.yelp.com/biz/wah-fung-1-fast-food-new-york-2?osq=bbq+pork

but looking for other places that I can sit down

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Any rec's for a competent shoe repair place?  I went to the best ranked one on Yelp (fuck Yelp) and the heels started peeling off my boots and I've got nails sticking everywhere 3 days later.

Need to get a resole done and may stretch my bison Virgils so don't want some joker.

I'd recommend North 11th Shoe Repair in Williamsburg.  I've had them do two resole jobs and both have been impeccable.  Turn around can be 24 hours too.

Address is - 18 N 11th St, Brooklyn, NY 11249

I've also been to Firm Shoe Repair.  Good work, but turnaround is +/- 1 week and they don't listen as well as the guys at N. 11th.  Good work though.  It's on - 116 4th Ave, between 12th St. and 2nd Ave.

Any rec's for a competent shoe repair place?  I went to the best ranked one on Yelp (fuck Yelp) and the heels started peeling off my boots and I've got nails sticking everywhere 3 days later.

Need to get a resole done and may stretch my bison Virgils so don't want some joker.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

have any of you eaten @ momofuku's mainline restaurants

i've had stuff from the milk bar which tasted very delicious, but i'm debating whether to take some people to noodle bar or ma peche. i've heard terrible stuff and great stuff. not sure if it gets crowded near midnight as i love to eat mad late

i've had stuff from the milk bar which tasted very delicious, but i'm debating whether to take some people to noodle bar or ma peche. i've heard terrible stuff and great stuff. not sure if it gets crowded near midnight as i love to eat mad late

Most of the restaurants have gotten worse IMO.

I would recommend booking the group meals in advance if you're going to go with friends anyways. The fried chicken group meal @ Noodle Bar is stellar. I also enjoy the bo ssam & duck group meals @ Ssam.

That being said - I haven't tried Fuku or the new Ko. I would like to try the latter at some point. $$ withstanding as prices have consistently risen.

Went to Ma Peche last weekend. It's a fun place to go with a group (you need to get the fried chicken), although location isn't ideal (we got an early diner before going to see Morrissey at MSG, but otherwise why would you be in midtown on the weekend). you need a reservation. 

Noodle bar is ok, there's some better ramen place IMO. Plus their ramen bowl is like 1,300 calories....

i'll be in nyc from 12/5 to 12/13. planning on finding a place through airbnb.

if anyone wants to give me the low down on rooftop bars with a great view, menswear stores, hole in the wall places to eat.

basically anything would help. thanks guys. 

ssam bar is the best bang for your buck.  haven't been to the new Ko but i'm sure it's still stellar.   not huge on ramen but the cold spicy noodles at noodle bar are great if you can handle them.

anyone know a decent tailor in downtown manhattan?

i'll be in nyc from 12/5 to 12/13. planning on finding a place through airbnb.

if anyone wants to give me the low down on rooftop bars with a great view, menswear stores, hole in the wall places to eat.

basically anything would help. thanks guys. 

menswear:

+dover st market

+blue in green soho for denim or otherwise mij needs (they stock some other stuff too, primarily denim though)

+nepenthes on west 38th in hells kitchen is really, really nice. check their tumblr out.

for rooftop bars, brooklyn terrace is good, but a bit clubby(?disputable)

gu shine taiwanese restaurant in queens is sooo good.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bump a thread from 6 months back but I'm heading to New York in may and looking for some more tips if anyone fancies helping me out? I have the guide but a lot of that seems quite 'general' almost and shopping orientated.

It'll be my first time and staying LES kind of area - looking at experiencing the city for 4-5 days as much as I can and also the shopping/tourist attractions side of things for the same amount of time.

Tips on good eateries (Pizza, Burgers, Steaks, Indian and Mexican mainly), good bars for a couple of chilled drinks and coffee for the mornings would be appreciated. Areas of LES/Manhattan & Brooklyn/Williamsburg mainly.

Also, is In-N-Out near JFK (only one in NYC it appears) worth the trip or is Shake Shack just as good?