usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

Chinesegold- I thought the New York guide was helpful. Are you staying with friends or know anyone that can take you around? If your on your own I would pick up the guide, and also look back through this thread. 

Edited by MarkMorrison

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone in NYC willing to let me sleep on their floor for a couple days?

Long shot I know... I live in Atlanta. Just got my 4 year degree and saved enough for a plane/train ticket and some shopping money. Honestly you would never see me as I plan to shop all day for 2 or 3 days. Just need a floor to lay on at night. I'll buy my own food. A shower or two would be appreciated though. It would be a bonus if you knew of any stores/spots that aren't listed online.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's what I think I'm doing for my week trip in NY towards the end of this month.

Yasuda, Momofuku-ko (if I can get a reservation) (and maybe other momofuku stuff), shake shack, halal guys, cafe habana, grimaldi's, katz delicatessen, ippudo, pomme frites, blanca (maybe, if I can get a reservation and feel like dropping that much money on something that I may not appreciate).

I'm probably also gonna hit up all those touristy spots like central park, chinatown, BiG, museums, etc.

Question is is there anything I should go to? Anything I should avoid or drop from my list? Anything I should absolutely add? Imma always need more food choices. It's my first time in NY and I'm just looking to do random things. I don't have to hit all the touristy stuff, but I might as well.

Also, would staying in Brooklyn be a bad idea if apparently I'm heading out to the city most of the time? I don't exactly have money to spend on a hotel (especially cause I want to spend it on food), so I've been finding good deals on hostels in Brooklyn. Also I might be by myself, so if anyone wants to join me for food lemme know. Possibly my treat. It'd be great to make new friends.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone got a connection to Per Se? I'm in NY from the 13th to the 23rd, been spamming the open table but I have no idea when reservations open since their site is down.

Thanks. 

I hate to recommend this service, but try http://resy.com/. There's another one that doesn't let people resell reservations, it just aggregates but I can't recall it now. 

Another two options are going for lunch or stopping by during the day if you're in the neighborhood and sweet talking the host(ess) to try and get a dinner res. Good luck.

Anyone got a connection to Per Se? I'm in NY from the 13th to the 23rd, been spamming the open table but I have no idea when reservations open since their site is down.

Thanks. 

try lunch, i always see availability same day when I search for brunch.

Thanks guys. Gonna get a reservation at Atera and Momofoku KO. Found out they don't even take open table reservations for one as well as their booking period via phone is longer than open table.

Finally, anyone got a connect to Nowhere FC? Was looking for a jersey, gave em an email but still waiting

If anyone wants to do hang out I'm in New York from the 13th to the 23rd of August

Thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...

@Chinesegold, Nowhere pop-up shop closed, I tried to go a couple weekends ago and it's now a barber shop.  :mellow: Must have closed right around when the World Cup ended.

May be a long shot, but hit up @chefsez on twitter, he's one of the main people behind it. 

• 3 weeks later...

My girlfriend and I are going to NYC from the 13th to the 21st of September. We are staying in Williamsburg at North 8th street. We've both been to Ny before, so we don't have to do all the touristy stuff!

I'll kindly take tips on local places to eat(take away, pastry, dinner, whatever) and other stuff to do.

What's the best place to cop stuff like Vis? And is there any stores in NY that carry Neighborhood and wtaps?

• 2 weeks later...

Let me know how you like it. I wanna go when I get back.

I'll keep you posted!

I can't see what all the fuss is about when it comes to getting a reservation! I had no problem getting a reservation on my first try!

Yeah, that multiple months stuff is false? Good to know.

Do let me know what you think!

Knowing they take reservations 10 days ahead, and thinking it could be difficult I tried the first day possible(we're in NYC for 9 days). And I got reservations on my first try. I just logged on a couple of minutes before 10am. I checked back in the evening and there was still a spot left! Seem like the spots later in the evening are easier to get!

Yeah, that multiple months stuff is false? Good to know.

Do let me know what you think!

my girlfriend and I went to Momofuku Ko yesterday, and it wa really worth it!

The experience were great. the atmosphere was really relaxed. I would highly recommend it to everyone considering getting a reservation!

I am going for to NYC for the small span of the 2 days 3 nights.  Any recommendations of the places I should really eat at, I saw the Momofuku.  Any other high recommendations for eating and any bars? 

On a less important topic where should I shop just like 1 or 2 of your end all be all places.

^^ there are a few different momofokus that have different menus. walk around east village/st marks and you'll find a shitload of good food to eat w/in a few blocks. 

momofoku ko isn't as hard as people make it out to be to get a reservation. as long as you log in the morning that your date is released you're good.