usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mid-range restaurants

The Corner Shop CafeÌ â€“ Cnr of Broadway and Bleecker Street – truffle mac & cheese is v

good!

Freeman’s – Freeman’s Alley on Rivington Street btw Chrystie Street and Bowery

Stanton Social – Stanton Street btw Ludlow & Orchard Streets Great tapas-style bar food and good drinks; also good for brunch.

The Spotted Pig – cnr W11th Street & Greenwich Street, Far West Village Great food, nice bar upstairs. No reservations. Always super-busy. Bono is one of the owners.

Tortilla Flats – cnr of W11th Street & Washington Street, Meatpacking District Cool, casual Mexican place – they do Tequila Bingo on Tuesday nights.

Public – Elizabeth Street between Prince & Spring Street, NoLiTa. REALLY good cocktails.

Rosa Mexicano – E18th Street between 5th Avenue and Broadway (v close to Union Square); Lincoln Center on the Upper West Side.

Coffee Shop – Union Square

Bit of a “scene†but open 24/7 and a good spot to stop into if you’re around Union Square.

Fatty Crab – Hudson Street btw Horatio and Gansevoort Street; Broadway at W77th Street Really good Malaysian food; cosy atmosphere.

Petite Abeille – Hudson Street btw Barrow and Christopher Streets

Belgian cafeÌ â€“ all you can eat mussels on Wednesday nights ($20 incl a beer); good spot to stop for lunch in the West Village.

Moustache – Bedford Street btw Grove & Morton Streets, West Village

REALLY good Lebanese food

Westville – W10th btw Hudson & W4th, West Village; and W18th Street Chelsea. Cheap feed; always busy. Choose a main with a variety of sides. Good Apple Pie

Cafeteria – Cnr W17th and 7th Avenue – 24hrs, 7 days.

Little Owl – Cnr of Grove Street & Bedford Street, West Village

More pricey Restaurants

Tao – Madison & 58th

Awesome asian restaurant.

They used to do a $24.07 3-course set menu lunch – worth checking out if they still do it as it’s really good value.

Bond Street – Bond Street btw Broadway and Lafayette Really cool Japanese restaurant

Upstairs / street level restaurant is quite expensive Downstairs bar is great and reasonably priced

Il Buco – Bond Street btw Broadway and Lafayette

Gorgeous Italian food in a restaurant that also sells genuine Italian goods.

Sushi Samba – 7th Ave between Grove & Barrow Streets, West Village

Gramercy Tavern – W20th btw 6th & 5th Avenues, Gramercy Park

Absolutely love this place. The front section is really comfortable, affordable and delicious. No reservations. Flatiron Bar is nearby (see bars).

Spice Market – 9th Avenue & W13th Street, Meatpacking District

A reservation is pretty essential here unless you’re happy to eat at 5pm or 11pm. It’s a great spot in the heart of the Meatpacking District and a celeb spotting isn’t out of the question.

Tribeca Grill – cnr Greenwich Street & Franklin Street, Tribeca

Robert De Niro owns this restaurant. It’s old school but still cool. Great food. De Niro’s dad’s artwork hangs on the walls. The Bubble Bar isn’t far from here and a nice wine bar called The Other Room is nearby too.

Edited by JayPee

• 4 months later...

Mid-range restaurants

The Corner Shop CafeÌ â€“ Cnr of Broadway and Bleecker Street – truffle mac & cheese is v

good!

Freeman’s – Freeman’s Alley on Rivington Street btw Chrystie Street and Bowery

Stanton Social – Stanton Street btw Ludlow & Orchard Streets Great tapas-style bar food and good drinks; also good for brunch.

The Spotted Pig – cnr W11th Street & Greenwich Street, Far West Village Great food, nice bar upstairs. No reservations. Always super-busy. Bono is one of the owners.

Tortilla Flats – cnr of W11th Street & Washington Street, Meatpacking District Cool, casual Mexican place – they do Tequila Bingo on Tuesday nights.

Public – Elizabeth Street between Prince & Spring Street, NoLiTa. REALLY good cocktails.

Rosa Mexicano – E18th Street between 5th Avenue and Broadway (v close to Union Square); Lincoln Center on the Upper West Side.

Coffee Shop – Union Square

Bit of a “scene†but open 24/7 and a good spot to stop into if you’re around Union Square.

Fatty Crab – Hudson Street btw Horatio and Gansevoort Street; Broadway at W77th Street Really good Malaysian food; cosy atmosphere.

Petite Abeille – Hudson Street btw Barrow and Christopher Streets

Belgian cafeÌ â€“ all you can eat mussels on Wednesday nights ($20 incl a beer); good spot to stop for lunch in the West Village.

Moustache – Bedford Street btw Grove & Morton Streets, West Village

REALLY good Lebanese food

Westville – W10th btw Hudson & W4th, West Village; and W18th Street Chelsea. Cheap feed; always busy. Choose a main with a variety of sides. Good Apple Pie

Cafeteria – Cnr W17th and 7th Avenue – 24hrs, 7 days.

Little Owl – Cnr of Grove Street & Bedford Street, West Village

When you say mid-range how much $$$ are you talking?

I'm also visiting for the first time early february.

• 2 weeks later...

goin to new york in a couple days heres some things id like to check out:

shopping:

inventory

self edge

barneys (gotta try on some dior jeans SOEXCITED)

food/drink:

freemans

maialino

shake shack

ramen totto

could anyone recommend similar things (list is kinda random, sorry) that i would hate to have missed?

thank you

I was kind of underwhelmed with B&B -- never had the burger at Spotted but I'm sure it doesn't suck.

The burger at Masak is really good plus, well, you can get some chicken hearts. :D

One of my friends swears by Northeast Kingdom, but it's out in Africa and I've never been.

Honestly though, Shake Shack is pretty good...and half the price of everything else mentioned. I've only been to the MSP one, but even then, I never felt it was super touristy. (I'm not a local though) It's a short walk to Ace as well.

• 3 months later...

will be spending the summer in nyc working on a start-up investment fund with an mba classmate. need a place to stay for july - august, potentially with my little dog (not sure if i'll be able to bring him anyway cause us airlines won't take boston terrier in the summer). holla if you know of anything.

Need a good place to get a haircut anywhere in Manhattan. Prefer walk-in as I prolly won't have time to make an appointment since I'll only be there 2 days. Any recommendations are appreciated...

Been there several times so I know where go for shopping and stuff but going solo for the first time so any good places to go eat by myself would be welcome too...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey, just going for a quick trip with my family from tomorrow until saturday morning.  Already have night/dinner plans, and was looking for some good day activities.  We really enjoy walking activities such as walking through the park and looking through museums, but we've already seen most of the main museums (moma, met, guggenheim).  Most of us are also into fashion/shopping, so walking through cool neighborhoods and shopping districts are also good options.  Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

Looking for a great place to stay in the SoHo and or surrounding area that is affordable? I'd prefer to save some cash for food and shopping.

Any recommendations that are not chain hotels?

Thanks in advance

Sohotel is pretty great, especially for the value.

Plus it's located on the fringes of soho– like 5 minutes walk from the center, which means outside of all of the central Broadway touristy shit.. Plus good restaurants and bars, Nolita shopping, Chinatown..

I stayed there for a couple of weeks there last year, it was clean– nice staff, well located as I mentioned. Great spot overall.

thesohotel.com

• 1 month later...

Moving Tokyo -> NY, and debating whether to pick up a suit here before I leave or wait till I get to the states.   Im thick in the chest and upper back so the only Japanese suits I can wear are more expensive United Arrows stuff (about 700US).  Where in NY is a good to pick up a good, slim / modern suit?  Sounds silly but I havent lived in the US in 10 years and have never lived in a major US city so not sure whats what. 

Also, would a gore-tex shell, uniqlo premium down jacket, sweater and some danners with smart wool socks be enough for winters (might do something like Veilance Insulated Field Jacket instead) or do I need a full on parka/down jacket.