usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

• 3 weeks later...

i'd appreciate some help and suggestions for looking for apartments in nyc. i'm going to be there for the summer (may to august) for an internship. don't really know much about housing. any suggestions on where to find housings/reliable sources would be great. looking for a place downtown or close to it. i'm not too picky but still would like a nice place that isn't too dingy and broken down and affordable would be great. just a small place, bachelor/one room. also willing to room with others.

Edited by TheTisciTribe

i'd appreciate some help and suggestions for looking for apartments in nyc. i'm going to be there for the summer (may to august) for an internship. don't really know much about housing. any suggestions on where to find housings/reliable sources would be great. looking for a place downtown or close to it. i'm not too picky but still would like a nice place that isn't too dingy and broken down and affordable would be great. just a small place, bachelor/one room. also willing to room with others.

Craigslist sublet, don't sign a lease because you can't get out of it. You're not going to find a one-bedroom or bachelor for cheap in Manhattan except for maybe somewhere in Harlem for what is objectively cheap in other cities (except London or Tokyo). Depending on the location of your internship it might be possible to have a place like that in Brooklyn or Queens. Your best bet is rolling the dice with a sublet and hoping you end up with a dope roommate who can introduce you to people and show you a good time.

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on how you define "affordable". Like the post above, I recommend craigslist and subletting. I don't know where you are but shortly before the move you should go there one day and look at all your choices and make a decision. Things come and go like a revolving door. "Downtown" is not specific enough to describe what you're looking for. Where is the internship? Look at what subways/buses take you to it and decide where to live based on accessibility to those lines and how quickly you need to be at work. relatively cheap places "downtown" include far east village, like alphabet city, some parts of lower east side, some parts of chinatown, battery park. You should also consider crossing the bridges to places like Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, Prospect Heights, maybe even Park Slope in Brooklyn (but these are not that cheap) or Long Island City, or Roosevelt Island in Queens.

advice to all new ppl moving in for internships: spend as little as possible on housing (still going to run you at least $700-1k/month in manhattan) because if you're doing it right, you won't be spending any time in your apartment.

best stretches of nyc are the ones where you don't go home for a whole week even though you haven't left the city.

and this city is about the hustle. if you want it bad enough, then find a way to make it work.

• 1 month later...

I'm in NYC (living in the LES) for the summer and I'm not 21. I have a fake that works at shitty bars in Philly but it's not good enough to work here/doesn't scan and I don't know any older brown dudes who look like me. Am I fucked?

Edited by xerrox

^ which neighborhood you in?

http://qa.romio.com

Yo guys. For any small neighborhood specific questions, try out Romio's Q&A (we're in beta atm). We are only open to five neighborhoods (Chelsea, LES, Chinatown, Soho, and Greenwich Village) but we will be opening city-wide in NYC next Monday. We have local bloggers and organization members answering questions. We have some cool features rolling out in the next month or two ;)

Edited by Augustus

I'm in the city, right by grand central station. But I'd be willing to go anywhere in manhattan for a good haircut

^ which neighborhood you in?

http://qa.romio.com

Yo guys. For any small neighborhood specific questions, try out Romio's Q&A (we're in beta atm). We are only open to five neighborhoods (Chelsea, LES, Chinatown, Soho, and Greenwich Village) but we will be opening city-wide in NYC next Monday. We have local bloggers and organization members answering questions. We have some cool features rolling out in the next month or two ;)

• 2 weeks later...

drycleaners?

i need a *real* dry cleaner now that my gf's been working a bergdorf. if something gets lost or ruined by the cleaner i would literally go fucking postal. i'm thinking something in UES would fit the bill since, anyone heard of anything in particular? yelp is a crapshoot with this type of stuff.. thanks.

also, is anyone going to Yelp - Brooklyn event tonight? what up

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

My company is having a small marketing campaign for our Q&A Tool where you can win $150 in food and drinks at one of these popular SoHo restaurants:

Felix

Antique Garage

Emporio

To play place your vote on your choice of restaurant here:

http://qa.romio.com/question/show?question_id=260

You will get a notification via e-mail and the game will begin on the 12th!

Rules etc:

https://www.facebook.com/RomioSoHoNYC?v=app_158086484245654

It'll be cool to see a sufu member win lol