usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

if we're talking in the lines of spice market (which i don't think very highly of anymore, except for desserts...) i'd recommend public (in nolita, co-owned by the london kiwi peter gordon) which is excellent for sunday brunches also; wd-50 on clinton st (especially if you like the mix of flavour like spice market); riingo (inside the alex hotel) which is the new venture of aquavit's marcus samuelsson, a japanese-scandinavian crossover, jane's and prune - two small mediterranean bistros perfect for soho after-shopping dinners on each side of houston st (west and east respectively) + the soho hotel classics, mercer kitchen (divine wasabi pizza) and kittichai (thai food) inside 60 thompson. as for japanese above the line cuisine: kuruma zushi, honmura an, masa, bond in that order.

Quote:

I like Prune

Are Kuruma and Masa really worth it? Comparing it to Yasuda, Ushiwakumaru

I was never impressed by Bond Street

--- Original message by DaBestSpoona on Aug 15, 2005 09:50 PM

Quote: Are Kuruma and Masa really worth it? Comparing it to Yasuda, Ushiwakumaru

If someone's looking at a place like Spice Market, he's hardly looking for value for his money...

As for sushi, I still regard Kuruma Sushi as one of the best outside Japan but leave Masa, Matsuri, Sushi Samba and Bond to the tunnel & bridges crowd... Megu may be the only neo-jap on Manhattan "worth it".

btw - I have a conspiracy theory on the Nobu Cookbook that they've changed the recipes in the books so people won't be able to make the dishes at home to keep them coming to the restaurants....

I've havent been to Megu, dont really feel like it, but I did goto En when it first opened up. I wasnt too impressed by it either, other the fresh made tofu. But recently I bought fresh made tofu from Kyoto at Mitsuwa and it blew En's fresh made tofu away.

I think the key to replicating Nobu's recipes is the quality of ingredients used. I was able to do the miso cod pretty well, although I tend to over cook it because it's for me to gauge fish thats marinated in the miso\sake\mirin mixture for 3 days. Nobu's overrated too.

You should check out this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/9625936181/qid=1124329733/sr=1-22/ref=sr_1_22/002-2789082-3188050?v=glance&s=books

Went to En around Xmas and promised myself to never return. Not that it was bad, actually it was quite okay for the money, but they turned the bloody heating off (!) so we had to go back to the cloakroom and get our coats and jackets... ever had kinugoshi tofu while wearing coat, scarf and mittens?

other nyc eats of interest for the spice market loving visitor:

Bistro Moderne, Ono (only if you're staying there), Pastis, Per Se (the new french laundry spinoff), Frederick's & Opia (though the food is horrible)

anyone know what happened to the lunchbox btw?

• 1 month later...

my favourite one outside of manhattan is 'sea' in williamsburg, brooklyn. you should definately check it out.

look through my blackened eyes and you'll see ten thousand lies

after the excellent recommendations made by kiteless, the only other spot i would add is Freeman's. It's a cozy little destination on the lower east side (in an alley off Rivington), there's taxidermy on the walls, top notch cocktails, great service, and stick-to-your-ribs cuisine.

Quote:

after the excellent recommendations made by kiteless, the only other spot i would add is Freeman's. It's a cozy little destination on the lower east side (in an alley off Rivington), there's taxidermy on the walls, top notch cocktails, great service, and stick-to-your-ribs cuisine.

--- Original message by fmc on Sep 22, 2005 01:45 PM

thank you fmc. it's post like this that make narcissists like me re-visit this site ever so often.

• 10 months later...

well me and my friends are planning out heading out to NY before we each go off to college/separate ways...

i was wondering if anyone can tell me some cheap (but not like motel 6/ghetto cheap) hotels we can check out

our main priority for the trip is def. shopping...so it would be nice to find a hotel from walking distance or like a short cab/metro ride from the "hot" shopping districts...

now that i think about it, im not even sure where the shopping areas are...

but basically, we will be looking for kind of like a union square in SF type place...and maybe a few streetwear/sneaker shops...

im just trying to get some jeans, and some nice clothes..my friends wanna hit up some of the ny exclusive sneaker shops

i know there are alot (ive checked the superfuture shopping guide...i dunno even know where to begin)

so even a little info would be awesome

I stayed at the Afinia Dumont when I was there last time and it was great. (I love it coz they were super dog-friendly, heh)...

u can cab to places like 5th ave, madison, soho, meatpacking, etc, pretty cheaply from there... if you wanna hit williamsburgh i think it's just across the tunnel, but you have to pay both ways for the tunnel... I'd take the subway instead... check Yelp and TripAdvisor also...

you can find a lot of cool stuff in soho, like bws, supreme, flight club, jack spade, nom de guerre, union, 45rpm, blue in green, steve alan, apc, etc etc... check the supermaps for NYC and you should be set...

aw shiiit...

i just realized you have to be 18/21+ to even get a hotel...fuck

unfortunately for me and my friends...we're all pretty much 17

is there anyway around the age problem..

i know you need a valid id + credit card...but is there anyway maybe our parents can give them the info ahead of time or something...

or is it possible to just give our money to someones parent and maybe they can buy the room for us, or do we HAVE to have someone 18/21+ with us at the hotel?

is it really like that? I've stayed at hotels when I was underage but not sure if I ever did that in the US though..

check tripadvisor.com and lastminute.com for hotels, and supermaps for different shopping areas. theres also quite a few topics on nyc here so try browsing around.

im heading down to nyc in late august...

found a place for 70 bucks a night in upper manhatten but im not sure if its legit...

i hear its a pretty rich area and a hotel for 70 a night seems a bit odd since most places there are easily >150...

If anyone can give me any info it'd be much appreciated.

heres the address:

J And J Hotel Riverside Studios

Address: 342 W 71st St

NEW YORK NY 10023

The J And J Hotel Riverside Studios Is Located On Upper Westside Of Manhattan. Only A Couple Of Blocks From Broadway And Only A Walking Distance From Central Park. You Can Enjoy Beautiful River View From Inside Your Room. We Have About 80 Remodeled Rooms With Double Beds And Single Beds Also. We Have Candy Machines Soda Machines On The Premises And Coin Laundryals.

Try looking for a bed and breakfast on the outskirts of the city, and then use mass transit to get into the city. It would probably turn out much cheaper, and if you dont mind bunking with a bud, you could average out to about $50 a night, and get breakfast.

Upper 70's is a bit out of the way and a long train ride to where the cool shopping spots are. I wouldn't even say it's a rich area. So that's the only reason I can think why it's cheaper. But who cares, you're just going to crash for the night anyways. Just spend your time downtown 'til you legs don't move then go back up and retire.

if you're looking for a cheap, centrally located place to stay in NYC you can't beat a hostel. i know most people who have never travelled outside of america think that hostels are totally sketch, or don't even know what a hostel is. trust me, hosteling in europe is what ALL young people do, plus i've even stayed in hostels in NYC, so i can speak from experience.

they are by no means luxurious, and i wouldn't recommend one in NYC to a single girl but for some young fellas like your and your mates it will be perfect. just search google for hostels in new york, but do it waaaay ahead of time or all the tokyo kids will beat you to it.

hope this is of assistance

peace in the middle east, out

Yeah, keep in mind that NYC hotels are super small. I'm from NYC and every time I go in a friends hotel I am amazed at the size. Def. bunk lots of people in. You'll be happier if you are all within walking distance to the NRQW (yellow train that takes you to shopping on broadway - prince st. stop), L train (takes you to Williamsburg- bedford ave stop) or the F train (takes you to the LES - delancy or 2nd ave stop). Subways is super clean and easy and $7 a day per person which is mad cheaper then taxis and much easier.

You can be under 18 and get a hostel... not sure about a hotel but I know you'll need a credit card for it.

While here check out:

www.freenyc.net - most def. best site for awesome free stuff to do. Not crap but hip hop parties, street art openings, open bars, outdoor concerts, etc. this is my Bible

www.ohmyrockness.com - best concert listings in the city by far

www.woostercollective.com - street art galore

also, check the New York magazine site or Time Out New York and you'll find great cheap eats. just use the search.

damn.. long reply, hope it helps.

well im booked for NYC from aug 25th-28th. im gonna be scared to set foot in ndg for fear of maxing out my cards =S

thanks for your help people =)

well im booked for NYC from aug 25th-28th. im gonna be scared to set foot in ndg for fear of maxing out my cards =S

thanks for your help people =)

• 2 months later...

I have been occasionally browsing Craigslist for apartments in New York. I am not very familiar with the housing market, although I know it is comparable to LA and SF (both places I have lived) in terms of outrageous prices. I have been looking at places in the $1300 range and have noticed that often, there are apartments that look very nice (hardwood floors, etc.) for less than that; sometimes even nice two bedrooms for less than that.

For instance, one apartment was $1200 for a 2-bedroom and is right by Yankee Stadium. If I look at a place like that, is it cheap because it is in the ghetto, or are are there lots of deals to be found in NYC? In SF or LA you can barely get a 1-bedroom anywhere for anything less than $1300. What could it get me there? Any explanations?

Thanks!

:D