usa :: new york :: general

Analyst

don't go to sea. that place has really trashy clientele. instead hit up kamui den on ave a and 12th street, it's byob so you can pick up a bottle of wine or sake and they will even chill it for you. there is also a good mexican spot on elizabeth between kenmare and spring. it's one of the best mexican restaurants in the city but gets packed at night. if you come in early you can catch them handmaking tortillas.

ushiwakamaru is BANGIN! omakase is on point.

jadis is a great place for good wine and small plates.

chikalicious for dessert. chika and her husband are too nice.

on a related note, i need to take my parents out to dinner in a week.

aside from momofuku ko, any recommendations?

i have about $500 to blow for 3 ppl, and we dont drink.

there is also a good mexican spot on elizabeth between kenmare and spring. it's one of the best mexican restaurants in the city but gets packed at night. if you come in early you can catch them handmaking tortillas.

cafe el portal? that place is good but not great. there's a newish place called papatzul on grand st next to lucky strike that's better. or the cafe at la esquina....

I went to Perry Street last nite and it was one of the most disappointing meals I've ever had. The food was nothing home to write about, kind of bland, oily. The decor looked like a unfinished hotel. I dont see how it garnered a 3 star review in the ny tmes.

I couldn't find a thread like this using tags or the search function but feel free to call me an idiot and post a link if I missed them (search using google did turn up some stuff, but the links were all broken).

I know SUFU doesn't really do "cheap" but I am in NYC (Manhattan) for a little over a month on a student's budget so I need some cheap things to do/eat.

What are some good cheap/free things to do? What galleries/museums other than MoMA have free/PWYC days? (and when are they?) What galleries/museums are free/cheap and fly under the tourist radar? What sort of strange, rarely mentioned landmarks should I check out? I will have a transit pass and I am willing to venture outside of Manhattan if stuff is interesting and free.

By the same token: Where can I eat dinner for under $10? Even cheaper lunches?

I am looking mainly for stuff that people who live in the city do, since tourist stuff tends to always be a rip off and is often boring as hell. Give me suggestions, superfuture!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am also planning a quick trip to NYC all the way from Finland. The only problem is that I need a single room that has 18 years as the minimum age of entry. I found a few good options from hotels.com, but all of them were with the minimum age of entry as 21 years. I suppose those age limits are pretty much non-negotiable?

So a private single room at a hostel seems like the thing to look for? Or are there any hotels that would allow a 19-year old tourist to book a room only for himself.

My budget is around 30-80usd per night and I would be staying for 5 nights during the next 2 weeks.

Chinatown for everything food related.

Some museums are donation based. If you don't feel like a douchebag only paying $0.50 then you're set.

I am okay feeling like a douche bag if I can get into a museum for a pocket full of change.

Any specific recomendations for places to look for/avoid in China town?