Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

rnrswitch

I hope someone might be able to help me out a little. I'm looking at the 'Sag Harbor' flannel shirt but I'm not familiar with Freewheelers fit. All the measurements look good in a size 17 exept for the sleeve which looks pretty short. Looking at the images the shoulder seam seems to be sitting rather far down the arm which might compensate for the shorter sleeve. However, the shoulder measurement doesn't indicate that this is the case but these things are generally a bit tricky to judge from measurements in my experience.

Does anyone have experience with this particular cut?

http://the-rising.co.jp/?action=item_detail&id=5164

Edited by Ar_thor

I’ve got the Sag Harbor in the Wool/Cotton serge - the sleeves aren’t ‘short’. I’m a 17 in FW shirts and average height (178cm) and have never found sleeve length issues in any of my shirts. I guess if you are extremely tall/long limbed then it might potentially be an issue.

I have witnessed individuals sizing their shirts purely on chest dimensions and, again, if you are particularly slim (or skinny) you will throw the whole pattern (collar will be tight, shoulders too narrow etc.) using this method since the majority of work style shirts are/were not designed to be worn super slim.

Thanks for that.

I'll probably be classified as very tall being 6'5 but my upper torso doesn't reflect this in an extreme way or at all really, it's more legs so to speak. Due to this I don't generally experience problems with work shirts as long as I keep an eye on the overall length.

In the meantime I've also found out that Speedway caries another shirt that I have as well as the Sag Harbor and comparing measurements I'm pretty sure I'll be fine.

Again, thanks for the input, I'll give it some thought over the weekend but I'm pretty positive I'll pull the trigger.

Edit: Fuck it, I pulled the trigger. I'll always be able to sell it if it fits like shite. :P

Edited by Ar_thor

@Duke Mantee the 1927 looks like a lighter color denim and maybe a bit hairier than the standard on 1947s but maybe my eyes are tricking me? 
trying  to convince myself I don’t need one ;) 

@Dr_Heech tough call, I think I like the FW variant more actually. I think the lighter color of the FW denim suits this style more. But honestly they’re both pretty similar. I’m not sure which one is more historically accurate. Which do you prefer?

30 minutes ago, shredwin_206 said:

@Duke Mantee the 1927 looks like a lighter color denim and maybe a bit hairier than the standard on 1947s but maybe my eyes are tricking me? 
trying  to convince myself I don’t need one ;) 

Same denim bro’ - maybe the dye mix isn’t exact but that’ll be the only variation

10 minutes ago, Broark said:

@Dr_Heech tough call, I think I like the FW variant more actually. I think the lighter color of the FW denim suits this style more. But honestly they’re both pretty similar. I’m not sure which one is more historically accurate. Which do you prefer?

I'm not sure at this point. So much to consider but without more detailed pics of both compared, to each other and an original, it is hard to tell. Maybe a comparison of the respective and similar dated jean from each brand would settle the score??

41 minutes ago, Dr_Heech said:

I'm not sure at this point. So much to consider but without more detailed pics of both compared, to each other and an original, it is hard to tell. Maybe a comparison of the respective and similar dated jean from each brand would settle the score??

So you’re sitting on the fence and Broark is going for FW. With my vote that makes a clear majority on the best ‘27 ...

The new type 1 sure is a beauty and has had me reflecting... 

I'm wondering how it would look sized up one to fit a sweatshirt - a winter denim jacket being the trojan horse here - then being a little oversized with a tee-shirt in warmer times

Warehouse jackets come in longer IIRC - I haven't seen a 1927 version though - anyone?

Does anyone have a view on the appropriate type 1 length in 1927?  Higher or lower than, for comparison, the belt-skimming CSF 1946 type 1? 

9 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

The new type 1 sure is a beauty and has had me reflecting... 

I'm wondering how it would look sized up one to fit a sweatshirt - a winter denim jacket being the trojan horse here - then being a little oversized with a tee-shirt in warmer times

Warehouse jackets come in longer IIRC - I haven't seen a 1927 version though - anyone?

Does anyone have a view on the appropriate type 1 length in 1927?  Higher or lower than, for comparison, the belt-skimming CSF 1946 type 1? 

Length is measured from collar seam to bottom of jacket

50F51630-4B3B-43F9-B258-456AA446889D.jpeg

I wear my denim jackets over both sweats and tees (as weather dictates) - but I never felt the need to size up

Edited by Duke Mantee

Yeah mate re the measurement - I'm wondering if the lengths in the table are consistent with the lengths in 1927 or if there has been some adaptation?

For comparison, my 1946 CSF type 1 comes on around 60cm length on a size 46

22 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

So you’re sitting on the fence and Broark is going for FW. With my vote that makes a clear majority on the best ‘27 ...

I'm not sitting on any fence Duke. As much as l get excited about certain new releases from various brands, I have 4 denim jackets (including 2 type 1's) and enough jeans. Was just interested in Broak's opinion as he's obviously been eyeing up the Warehouse 27 model, and now he's got his eye on this 27 model from Freewheelers. Up until now there has been very little repros delving into the 1920's styles so l was just curious.

And l didn't say 'best' ;)

20 minutes ago, Dr_Heech said:

I'm not sitting on any fence Duke. As much as l get excited about certain new releases from various brands, I have 4 denim jackets (including 2 type 1's) and enough jeans. Was just interested in Broak's opinion as he's obviously been eyeing up the Warehouse 27 model, and now he's got his eye on this 27 model from Freewheelers. Up until now there has been very little repros delving into the 1920's styles so l was just curious.

And l didn't say 'best' ;)

You’re sitting on the fence alright Doc - me and Broark have totally made our minds up and all you can do is shilly-shally ... just get your vote cast before the polls close at 18:42 GMT and stop the nonsense :laugh2:

35 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

Yeah mate re the measurement - I'm wondering if the lengths in the table are consistent with the lengths in 1927 or if there has been some adaptation?

For comparison, my 1946 CSF type 1 comes on around 60cm length on a size 46

I’m not sure of exact measurements for the vintage model - sorry. I’ll see if I can dig up some specifics

7 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

You’re sitting on the fence alright Doc - me and Broark have totally made our minds up and all you can do is shilly-shally ... just get your vote cast before the polls close at 18:42 GMT and stop the nonsense :laugh2:

Prolly get Yoshiaki to make me a 1927 506xx repro in that case, you know, as l am now a walking ambassador for the brand :P

11 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

I’m not sure of exact measurements for the vintage model - sorry. I’ll see if I can dig up some specifics

I'd be very interested in this Duke, appreciated, if it's possible

8 minutes ago, Dr_Heech said:

Prolly get Yoshiaki to make me a 1927 506xx repro in that case, you know, as l am now a walking ambassador for the brand :P

He’d probably forget the year and make the stitching wonky :dry:

... on that though, interesting to note FW adjusted the SPI to match how it was done originally 

34 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

He’d probably forget the year and make the stitching wonky :dry:

... on that though, interesting to note FW adjusted the SPI to match how it was done originally 

Still can't really tell the difference between the FW and Warehouse repros, must be the denim??

I would imagine the stitch per inch is similar too.

I certainly hope Yoshiaki would put in the necessary wonky stitches and other quirks that make the 1927 particularly special.

It's been a while since I was seriously tempted by anything from Freewheelers but I recently found a couple of items I couldn't do without. First class service from John Lofgren & Speedway. Unfortunately it's 85 degrees in the house today so  it'll be a while before I can wear them.

IMG_2559.jpg

IMG_2555.jpg

Edited by CSL