Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

rnrswitch

28 minutes ago, shredwin_206 said:

NvIxwRv.jpg1927 jacket @mstax this is the one to grab
1937 jeans @Smallrod knee is 9.25” shrank about 0.5” after I literally boil washed em ;) 

Looking good! Isn’t that the 1933-1934 model? Or is the 1927 another one?

Edit: checked it and indeed another jacket. What’s the difference between the 33 and 27 apart from the buttons?

Edited by mstax

@mstax I believe pocket shape/flap, buttons, and the cut. The sleeves are short and wide on the 1927 which is period correct I’m told. It doesn’t work for most people and they’re borderline too short on me. Oh well. 

4 minutes ago, shredwin_206 said:

@mstax I believe pocket shape/flap, buttons, and the cut. The sleeves are short and wide on the 1927 which is period correct I’m told. It doesn’t work for most people and they’re borderline too short on me. Oh well. 

Hmm ok. Well the fit on you looks fine to me! Now I am in doubt, 46 or 33 version. I do like the buttons on the 27 and usually I’m in for short and boxy but can’t find the 27 in a size 48, the other two I can.

Yea I put the 1927 as my fav type 1, 1933 was a close second but I found a great deal on a lightly worn 27 so that made the decision for me. 
I don’t like the buttons or the pocket shape/flap on the 1946 haha 

35 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

Easier said than done

My bad. Didn’t realize it was the rarest type 1 they’ve produced! I now see it’s near impossible to find in stock 

So, I'm in for either the 1933 or the 1946 version, leaning more to the 1946 version because of the denim colour. Does anybody know the exact differences in denim? And also cut? I've looked online and it says the 1933 is a red cast denim, so can I expect a more green cast (which I generally like more) for the 1946? Also, the buttons on the 1933 seem to have an enamel coating which the 1946 does not seem to have. 

Also, I double checked with the webshop to see if all threads are 100% cotton stitched. At first I got the reply that all is 100% cotton, except the buttonholes which are core spun polycotton for durability. But, after then I had another email that they checked with Freewheelers and they say all is 100% cotton thread, including the buttonholes (which I prefer).

Many questions :)

Edited by mstax

It's a rainy bank holiday so I thought I'd add to the chat above...

A few type 1 pics and comparison between the 1927 and the 1933 blouses (I got the 1933 a month or so ago as just couldn't resist scratching the itch :))

The 1927 (the faded blouse) is the so-called standard denim… from the descriptions I’ve read, the 1946-47 type 1 uses the same standard denim

The 1933 uses red caste denim

Both, imo, are really lovely denim in their own right… I’m looking forward to seeing faded examples of the 30s denim, in due course

As we know, the 1944-45 WW2 type 1 is in another different denim which has beautiful vertical character – plenty of pics kicking around in this thread from the lads

Comparing the 1927 v 1933...

• Cut-wise, there's a hair's breadth between the two… see the measurements table comparing my well washed 1927 and my new 1933 (washed version)
  • They both have curved pocket flaps, reasonably wide sleeves, no red tab, smaller buttons (*), splayed collar (compared to the much pointier 40s collars) and both have wide shoulders to give the drop-shoulder period correct look
  • The differences are the denim, the colour of the stitching and the buttons (*) - the 1927's are unbranded, the 1933's are branded but both small-button

image.png.7cd5fc1e7f0b196a4d39ffe88d6d69bc.png

20230508 Freewheelers 1927 1.JPG

20230508 Freewheelers 1927 2.JPG

20230508 Freewheelers 1933 1.JPG

20230508 Freewheelers 1933 2.JPG

20230508 Freewheelers Comparison 1927 1933 1.JPG

Edited by MJF9

^that faded one is beautiful, makes me want to have a another go at finding a decent denim jacket. Gave away a couple of pretty but ill fitting ones during a move recently, now left with only a weird one from Chimala (which I love, but kind of feels more like a miner’s kimono than, you know, a denim jacket).

Anyone have suggestions where to start looking for a type 1 or type 2 that fits lanky people with long backs? I realize there are a hundred threads on the subject, but I like this one.

hi, by the way.

There have also been a few other 506 models by FW in the past. Not sure, if they will be rereleased or whether they have been subsituted now by the more specific year models.

About ten years ago there were:
Lot 506XX EARLY 1900s 1st Generation Denim Jacket 1930s MODEL

and six years ago:
"Lot 506 XX"  1st Generation Denim Jacket 1940s MODEL

I have the first one. It doesn't have a red tag, a black back cinch and the buttons are all normal size. The denim is similar to the current standard denim, coarse, but less neppy and not as blue, darker.

Edited by indigoeagle

Does anyone know why the buttons on most jeans and jackets by FW are enamel plated? Seems just a few denim pieces don’t have that and I don’t understand the ‘rule’. I mean the 1933 506 is enamel plated, the 1946 not, but the 507 jacket is.

57 minutes ago, indigoeagle said:

Do you mean the yellow colouring? That is a historic detail, to prevent rust.
Mister Freedom also has that on his jeans.
I'd think, it will wear off over time, not 100% sure though.

Interesting, I have never seen that on original ones. Maybe it was an option? Or only done on some pieces in the past?

23 hours ago, bloom said:

^that faded one is beautiful, makes me want to have a another go at finding a decent denim jacket. Gave away a couple of pretty but ill fitting ones during a move recently, now left with only a weird one from Chimala (which I love, but kind of feels more like a miner’s kimono than, you know, a denim jacket).

Anyone have suggestions where to start looking for a type 1 or type 2 that fits lanky people with long backs? I realize there are a hundred threads on the subject, but I like this one.

hi, by the way.

@bloom welcome mate... good to see you posting! 

Re your type 1 question, depends what length you need... out of Freewheelers, based on what I know, the WW2 1944-45 type 1s are a little longer than the 27 or 33 versions.  They're classed as a jacket rather than a blouse.  The truth is definitely in the tape measure though so your measurements will give the answer.  Good luck hunting. 

2 hours ago, JMS said:

Many thanks to @Duke Mantee for my new belt. Working on a remodel and I've been in desperate need of a quality belt to help keep things up :rolleyes:

I might add, a broken-in pair of Freewheelers and a belt of Duke's go together like peas and carrots.

Do not hesitate to give him your business! 

belt.jpg

Looks a fair match to the denim - thank you for that mate!

52 minutes ago, MJF9 said:

@bloom welcome mate... good to see you posting! 

Re your type 1 question, depends what length you need... out of Freewheelers, based on what I know, the WW2 1944-45 type 1s are a little longer than the 27 or 33 versions.  They're classed as a jacket rather than a blouse.  The truth is definitely in the tape measure though so your measurements will give the answer.  Good luck hunting. 

Thanks! From experience, they tend to look a bit like crop tops unless they're around 64 cms. As much to do with shape as with height. Tried to wear a shorter one for a while, after watching Martin Sheen in "Badlands". The effect was not quite the same. On the upside, unlike him, I didn't go on a killing spree either. So I'd still rather be me. But preferably while wearing a Freewheeler type 1, I'm now realizing.

Selling this chore jacket 

20230514_21283020230514_181142

Brand new never worn , looking for £150 free postage in the UK and ill split the cost with anyone worldwide 

Chest 22 

Length 29

Sleeve 25.5

Edited by Flash

7 hours ago, Flash said:

Selling this chore jacket 

20230514_21283020230514_181142

Brand new never worn , looking for £150 free postage in the UK and ill split the cost with anyone worldwide 

Prolly too small. But have measurements handy? 

Does anyone know if Freewheelers uses all 100% cotton thread on the denim garments? I’m on the verge of getting a 506xx 1946 model and I want 100% cotton thread stitching but none of the webshops mention that.

I'm no expert, but I'm confident in saying that the thread is 100% cotton.

What size are you looking for I have one like new for cheap. 

Edited by JMS