Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

rnrswitch

On 1/15/2023 at 4:31 PM, MJF9 said:

I washed it at 40C - there'll be shrinkage as I'd previously only washed at 30C and only once  

516XX measurements after 40C wash (cm)... small changes, better fit

• P2P 65 ---> 63 (-2)
  • Shoulder 53 ---> 52 (-1)
  • Arm 63.5 ---> 63 (-0.5)
  • Length 63 ---> 62 (-1)

As you do, I weighed the flannel lined 1946 and compared with the 1944-45 type 1, both size 46, both same denim

• 1946 flannel lined = 1.35 kg / 3 lb (lb for my American friends)
  • 1944-45 = 0.95 kg / 2.1 lb

So that’s 0.4 kg / 0.9 lb  for the flannel and pocket flap then... I can sleep easy now knowing that :)

My order from speedway arrived today! 

CF3F20DA-A7DD-4E6C-9559-08230B17456A.thumb.jpeg.3a48c66064d3e0d6433ffdd26c7163ab.jpeg

83BBF174-A24F-4FA7-A9F2-8A0D23C6EB17.thumb.jpeg.e3fdb982dabf4f6ad2bdb136aa5a208d.jpeg

3E58FC62-6435-4E6D-9E53-E8403DDB88C5.thumb.jpeg.8202ce716eea7cecafe8facd5d74ac53.jpeg

F6C9E511-1B1C-400D-A7E8-645F3505CDEE.thumb.jpeg.bd984f6e230898e14512c1edbcf96523.jpeg

8A1EC319-7990-47CC-B589-98A340E93588.thumb.jpeg.3aadd0699cb5684262d1ecff473125fa.jpeg

37DEDDE9-FA92-46E2-B895-4ABB051E2D84.thumb.jpeg.0c7212dcbc7aa8ed9f6da12851cd4aad.jpeg

66E3EB2A-2AA9-4B4D-89DF-A494099BB015.thumb.jpeg.80fd2159d98fa21d5613e67145456e18.jpeg

The construction on the Lumber Jack Trousers is incredible.  I love the double layer seat with the pockets sewn in between.  Corduroy is hot right now, seems like every brand dropped corduroy something this season.  These trousers, to me, are the most interesting with a very different fit and a wide wale heavy fabric.  

The fabric on the skid row shirt has a ton of character and the buttons… just lovely.

Do FW denim jackets run as small as their T-shirts?

Their XL t-shirts fit like a US M or maybe L. I’m interested in their type 2 jacket. Looks like they become available in the spring again

2 hours ago, vlad_III said:

Their XL t-shirts fit like a US M or maybe L.

I don't find this to be true at all? I have a bunch of their tees, all size XL and they fit pretty close to a US XL. For reference I'd never come close to fitting into a US medium tee. :D
I find their denim jackets run true to size as well, I have 3 all size 46 and they fit similarly.
The black type 2 I have is the slimmest, but only by a hair. Could have to do with the fact that that one was once washed by the factory and my others were raw.

Interesting. Their jeans fit true to size. I’m 186cm 92kg (6.1 202lbs)

For reference I wear L in Patagonia. Got an XL Tee from FW and only washed it cold once. It still fit but was uncomfortably tight in chest and shoulders. They said they’re gonna make XXL for their spring collection. I’ll try those again. 
I want to get a type 2 jacket and in-between sizes. Usually I’m a 44 but listening to you I should go for a 46 instead. Not sure about the T back on the 46 and up sizes. That’s maybe something to get used to. Sugarcane, FULLCOUNT or TCB don’t have that on their type 2s. 

38 minutes ago, vlad_III said:

I want to get a type 2 jacket and in-between sizes. Usually I’m a 44 but listening to you I should go for a 46 instead.

I might not be the best person to take advice from since I only have the black type 2, but I find it to be in line with my other FW jackets in the same size.
It feels a touch slimmer in the chest, but not enough to warrant a size up. I can still wear it buttoned up over a sweatshirt.
What brands do you typically wear a 44 in? I think it's best to size up when in doubt, as a denim jacket that is too tight looks odd in my opinion.

Real McCoys are slightly big in 44. Tried on a Momotaro in 44 ages ago and that felt big too. On the other hand Studio Dartisan is small in 44. 
i agree, sizing up is probably best. Cant stand it when I cant move my arms. The T back on the FW 46 is something I’m not sure about yet. 

Rather than tag size, I'd go with actual measurements. That way you know where you stand. A number of retailers give trustworthy measurements e.g. Hoosier send you actual photos of the garment being measured.

Worth checking the arm hole measurement on the jacket too - the bigger, the lower the pit to pit will be which will change the fit, potentially a lot.

I have both size 44 and 46 FW denim jackets. Both work well - depends what fit you want and what you plan to wear under them

Go off measurements not tags size. 
hoosier will gladly measure for you. 
I tend to find. That FW runs slim in the shoulders. So that’s alway an issue for me but not enough to warrant going up a size. 

I'd agree - except for me it did warrant go up a size. If I had to get really nitpicky I'd say my FW flannel lined (sz 40) fits like I'd expect a size 39 to fit in the shoulders. But I also went by measurements to get there and it was what it said it was. I tend to be more of a 38 everywhere but shoulders/chest - so this sizing is always a project for me.

Also, patagonia basics tend to be at least 1/2 size large IMO - their mediums on me are just too large and for most companies it's workable. and a patagonia small on me fits me like an M in other brands. 

7 hours ago, MJF9 said:

Rather than tag size, I'd go with actual measurements. That way you know where you stand. A number of retailers give trustworthy measurements e.g. Hoosier send you actual photos of the garment being measured.

Worth checking the arm hole measurement on the jacket too - the bigger, the lower the pit to pit will be which will change the fit, potentially a lot.

I have both size 44 and 46 FW denim jackets. Both work well - depends what fit you want and what you plan to wear under them

Correct

Label size is the worst reference you could ever use to ‘size’ clothing - there’s no reason that, for example, a Patagonia Large is the same as Freewheelers Large or any other Large.

… and don’t get me started on the cut / pattern … fuck :laugh:

Edited by Duke Mantee

I only half agree with that.

It’s true that there’s no reason to expect tag sizes to be comparable between brands, but there’s also not much reason to expect patterns to align well enough between brands (or even between models within any one brand’s catalog) for measurements to be a good point of reference—after all, measurements don’t tell anywhere close to the full story about how a piece of clothing is going to fit in practice. They can be useful to count certain things out all together—for instance, I know I can’t wear jeans with upper thigh measurements anywhere below ~13”—but, on the other hand, I have some shirts with ~17” shoulders that are appreciably less constricting through the upper back than other shirts with ~18” shoulders, just because they’re cut so qualitatively differently.

If you’re going in totally blind, measurements will obviously offer a much better jumping-off point than tag sizes, but if you know someone with a similar body type to you and can compare directly what tag sizes the two of you wear from different brands, I feel that that will generally be a more reliable approach than assuming measurements transfer arbitrarily between different cuts.

All FW type 2 are sold out everywhere. Will have to wait until spring to get measurements from Hoosier unless they have pictures from last year. Pre-ordering won’t work in that case. Hopefully they won’t sell out right away. 

tried on other type 2s yesterday:

FULLCOUNT fit in a 46

TCB I needed size 50!!

Looks like label sizes are all over the place. sugar cane type 2 look interesting too but is also sold out everywhere and only goes up to 44. 
WH also sold out and they said might not come back until 2024, which seemed odd. Lots of type 1s available 

@JohnM - it's size 42. That's what I always get for their sweats & coats. It's going to shrink a bit after the first wash. I typically wear size 17 for shirts, but it depends on the exact measurements.

FW has produced a number of bicolor sweats in the past, and they all look great. I'm partial to plain sweats (no patches, etc), and I have a couple of their old henley-necked hoodies in 2 colors, including one with exactly the same colors, but reversed (crimson body, black trims).

Edited by JDelage

Desolation Row had the 507RB, same cut as 507XX they say, in 44 and 46 washed. I’m definitely a 46, which is a little surprising to me. I pre-ordered one and it comes with the T-back. That’ll be interesting too. 

On 1/30/2023 at 7:29 AM, Duke Mantee said:

Correct

Label size is the worst reference you could ever use to ‘size’ clothing - there’s no reason that, for example, a Patagonia Large is the same as Freewheelers Large or any other Large.

… and don’t get me started on the cut / pattern … fuck :laugh:

Duke, you gotta start somewhere. 

Based on the measurements online I thought a 44 would be enough. Luckily Desolation Row had a the 507b in 44 and 46.

Since the T-back is growing on me I pre-ordered one in 46. 

12 hours ago, vlad_III said:

Duke, you gotta start somewhere. 

Based on the measurements online I thought a 44 would be enough. Luckily Desolation Row had a the 507b in 44 and 46.

Since the T-back is growing on me I pre-ordered one in 46. 

Start with real world measurements mate and even then check as many shops as possible (they might measure different) … it’s an expensive problem to get wrong

Anyway I thought you were talking about PowerWear, no? Jackets and tees will be sized different for obvious reasons.

Edited by Duke Mantee

Freewheelers Grizzly jacket. I debated this one for awhile but I'm happy I decided to get it.
British wool tweed outer, nylon lining, 50's vintage Crown zipper. It's actually not incredibly warm which is good for the climate here.
It's a bit of a chameleon in photos, the first two photos probably the most accurate in color.
The fit is fairly oversized, so I can wear it with a denim jacket underneath or a heavy sweater for more warmth.
OxZOCQS.jpg
kSS6qsj.jpg
skPV287.jpg
OnL2DYK.jpg
Vcflmed.jpg
D1TiBzM.jpg
hgtDOSa.jpg
KBc7QMe.jpg
YU1Bvmp.jpg
gVBZlEN.jpg
GpoKQtV.jpg

6 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Start with real world measurements mate and even then check as many shops as possible (they might measure different) … it’s an expensive problem to get wrong

Anyway I thought you were talking about PowerWear, no? Jackets and tees will be sized different for obvious reasons.

Yeah don’t wanna drop 42,000 yen on the wrong size. Luckily I didn’t have to commit to buying it. Will have a chance to try it on before purchase. They are supposed to come in late April to early May they said. 

I was talking about powerwear. Had a t-shirt in XL, which was super small on me. XL in champion, Nike etc is usually baggy on me. Just wanted to find out if people felt their jackets run small in general.