Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

rnrswitch

Hi. I’m in the UK. I just received a (Sag Harbor) shirt that I ordered from Desolation Row. I was very pleased with the service (and love the shirt). I’m curious why people order through Hoosier / Seiichiro, who, from what I gather on here, buys from Desolation Row himself. Cheers

10 hours ago, tjsma said:

Hi. I’m in the UK. I just received a (Sag Harbor) shirt that I ordered from Desolation Row. I was very pleased with the service (and love the shirt). I’m curious why people order through Hoosier / Seiichiro, who, from what I gather on here, buys from Desolation Row himself. Cheers

He might buy wholesale from Desolation Row. We’re not paying over Japanese retail price, so how else would they make profit? 

I use Hoosier because they’re very easy to communicate with, very helpful with questions and sizing and will source items if you ask too. 
Basically a very good store run by friendly people. 

In addition to what @UkeNo said about Hoosier's level of service, I'd add that for a given product, Hoosier will be cheaper because Seiichiro-san will remove the Japanese sales tax from the price, while Desolation Row does not (or did not when I used them last year).

11 hours ago, tjsma said:

Seiichiro doesn’t ‘buy’ from Desolation Row - he’s a retailer proper.

However, on occasion, he has bought items (from Desolation Row, Yahoo etc) via his own personal bank account to help a gaijin … that’s service

Fortunately although you did buy from DR it’ll still probably be cheaper than Son of a Stag even though you live in the UK

Edited by Duke Mantee

30 minutes ago, UkeNo said:

He doesn’t buy wholesale from Desolation Row. We’re not paying over Japanese retail price, so how else would they make profit? 

I use Hoosier because he’s very easy to communicate with, very helpful with questions and sizing and will source items if you ask too. 

Basically a very good store run by a friendly person. 

87001944-391F-40B7-B6D4-4ED145EA199D.png
fixed for you

Edited by Duke Mantee

18 hours ago, tjsma said:

Seiichiro-san is unbeatable help and very friendly. For us lazy foreigners who are unable to communicate with Japanese store personnel in Japanese and have obvious difficulty buying online, this is invaluable.

Thanks all. I was under the impression Hoosier offered a proxy service rather than being a retailer in their own right. Thanks for clearing this up for me. I’ll give Hoosier a go next time. 

Buying from Desolation Row was certainly much cheaper than from Son of a Stag - including shipping, I paid about 60% of what SoaS are charging.

^ Looking for any particular version? I have a green cotton / wool one in 17 that doesn’t fit

(The fabric they used for these shrinks up very weird; if you’re normally a 17 you may find you need a 17 1/2)

I've been considering getting another black pair, and those 601b's look like a perfect cut.  However, I've checked all of the sites I can find and nobody has them in stock (or maybe 1 size that isn't mine).  Do any of you know if that was a limited production or a standard production that is just due for a restock? Has anybody seen a store lately with pairs in the size 34 or 36 range in stock? 

Also, is there a difference in the cut between the 601b and the 601rb? Or is the denim the only difference? 

@shredwin_206 Had to go back through my Yahoo history to check—the model is #1333008, and it’s actually a 17 1/2 (and is still too small across the shoulders—go figure). Here’s the original listing: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g490535604

The 601b and 601rb are nearly souls out everywhere. Hoosier only has some small sizes left. 
My buddy wanted a pair after he saw mine and Hoosier said it’s not in stock anywhere 

I'd been waiting for a dry day with sunshine to wash my S516 XX... today was good for it...

I washed it at 40C - there'll be shrinkage as I'd previously only washed at 30C and only once  

Pre-wash pics... not much wear showing up but I've worn it quite a bit these last 12 months... great jacket, glad to have it

20230115 Freewheelers S516XX 1.JPG

20230115 Freewheelers S516XX 2.JPG

20230115 Freewheelers S516XX 4.JPG

20230115 Freewheelers S516XX 5.JPG

Edited by MJF9

On 12/1/2022 at 12:01 PM, julian-wolf said:

Is there precedent for Freewheelers using the same fabrics as other companies? I’ve gotten the impression that most of what they use is made to spec, but I recently picked up a flannel Stromberg shirt (1533006) and the fabric is a dead match to the fabric used by The Flat Head for their HN-52 and related shirts. Works out well for me—it’s a long-time favorite—but it does come as a bit of a surprise. Anyone have further info?

On 12/2/2022 at 12:35 PM, Duke Mantee said:

It’s very possible Julian - a lot of their fabrics are very much their own design - but not all. They always use their own threads and hardware AFAIK. There’s been a couple of fabrics I thought ‘looked familiar’ and I asked the same question … both times it was demonstrated they were different regardless of how similar they looked.

The Stromberg fabric does look like that Flathead shirt fabric (reversed) but I think I see slight differences in the weave too … but that’s only by looking at different pics (I have the Stromberg but never owned FH shirts)

On 12/2/2022 at 2:09 PM, julian-wolf said:

Good info, thanks. I’m pretty sure it’s a dead match (besides, as you say, being reversed), but will lay out the two next to each other later on and take some photos to compare more directly.

Tough to do a direct comparison since my HN-52 is pretty heavily worn, but:

A5t8bmO.jpg

JwlGrtl.jpg

Noa4SZl.jpg

BhcAbz1.jpg

17 hours ago, MJF9 said:

Pre-wash pics... not much wear showing up but I've worn it quite a bit these last 12 months... great jacket, glad to have it

Looking good @MJF9. In my experience blanket-lined jackets take an age to wear, but do yield up some lovely less contrasting blues. 

Edited by unders

On 1/14/2023 at 6:14 PM, fresh1 said:

I've been considering getting another black pair, and those 601b's look like a perfect cut.  However, I've checked all of the sites I can find and nobody has them in stock (or maybe 1 size that isn't mine).  Do any of you know if that was a limited production or a standard production that is just due for a restock? Has anybody seen a store lately with pairs in the size 34 or 36 range in stock? 

Also, is there a difference in the cut between the 601b and the 601rb? Or is the denim the only difference? 

I was told by the Hoosier guys that the 601rb wouldn’t be back until the spring. 
I was also hunting for a 33 or 34. 

Edited by UkeNo

Just got thoes 2022aw blank N-1,monstrous of a jacket weight like a dead mule

IMG_4648.thumb.JPG.7e06a67e403f4544af2324559680d840.JPG

IMG_4664.thumb.JPG.1fd47f007f105919afc78cedc60feafe.JPG

IMG_4665.thumb.JPG.784b95b84bae6af09cebb3268357d189.JPGIMG_4643(20230115-212526).thumb.JPG.6f5862b2e313739ad3c9252c7fa80a2e.JPG

Was tempting to get the new "S-3" winter flying jacket but after receiving this thing I realize that would have been overkill for the harsh 57f winter here, their regular 70&30 blend lining is already build for the arctic circle.

17 minutes ago, Maynard Friedman said:

I think you should listen to your wife :laugh2:

They're definitely not for everyone, I've seen a few Japanese guys on Instagram wearing them and they seem to pull them off well enough.
The fabric is nice and light, good for the spring and summer.