Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

rnrswitch

2 minutes ago, Talan said:

My new S601XX arrived, the version with the red and black pocket lining, non wash. Might be of certain interest to those who haven't had a chance to get this cut yet, the non-wash is just huge in size. My first thought was that FW made a mistake by putting the wrong label on the bigger size piece. However, a warm soak and following washing + tumble drying put everything in its place, the shrinkage was just colossal, I can't remember when I've encountered this before with other brands. After wash/dry measurements are right to the size. 

And, Siichiro is a treasure, his support is second to none and he was so kind to add warms socks into the package. Our winter here is quite chilly.

Any before/after pictures?

who is Siichiro?

52 minutes ago, vlad_III said:

Any before/after pictures?

who is Siichiro?

I haven't got to the selfie culture yet, sorry B)

Seiichiro is the guy who sells FWs.

Edited by Talan

4 hours ago, Talan said:

My new S601XX arrived, the version with the red and black pocket lining, non wash. Might be of certain interest to those who haven't had a chance to get this cut yet, the non-wash is just huge in size. My first thought was that FW made a mistake by putting the wrong label on the bigger size piece. However, a warm soak and following washing + tumble drying put everything in its place, the shrinkage was just colossal, I can't remember when I've encountered this before with other brands. After wash/dry measurements are right to the size. 

And, Seiichiro is a treasure, his support is second to none and he was so kind to add warms socks into the package. Our winter here is quite chilly.

Their denim(s) shrink a lot … but very consistently to the wash version sizes. War denim here

IMG_5856.JPG

Edited by Duke Mantee

This might be a little in the weeds but since we're on the topic - I put my jacket through a warm wash about 30 min followed by a hot (steaming) agitated soak/rinse (since I pulled it out before spin cycle) - but no dry. I'd prefer to get out all the shrink as early as possible - is a dry recommended to really get there? I almost never put my denim through a dryer. Since I never had FW denim I'm not sure quite what to expect. 

The jacket will probably never see a dryer in normal wash cycles, however. 

On 11/9/2022 at 2:10 AM, Talan said:

Tell what they'll answer. 

I have got the reply from Freewheelers as below:

In our opinion, this is not a quality issue. We’re not judging this case as an defect.

Basically our thoughts(wish) for our products is to express the ambience of old times, not only producing old style products.

And so, for us, a difference by hands of craftsman like this case is very enjoyable.

We hope you enjoy our concept from the bottom of our heart.

9 minutes ago, ken1123 said:

In our opinion, this is not a quality issue. We’re not judging this case as an defect.

Basically our thoughts(wish) for our products is to express the ambience of old times, not only producing old style products.

And so, for us, a difference by hands of craftsman like this case is very enjoyable.

I’m no @Dr_Heech so there’ll be many tiny details I’ll not be aware of in Levi’s history - and I certainly wasn’t aware that varying selvedge width might have been one of them.

1 hour ago, Duke Mantee said:

I’m no @Dr_Heech so there’ll be many tiny details I’ll not be aware of in Levi’s history - and I certainly wasn’t aware that varying selvedge width might have been one of them.

I'm no @Dr_Heech either, but yes the widths varied depending on vintage era and most pre-1975 redline models have some small width discrepancies on each pair. Just turn them inside out.

Also, could've been dependent on the  factory and the operator putting them together.  

2 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

I wouldn’t put any denim in a dryer (although @shredwin_206 would :laugh:) - and I’ve never had to for FW denim. Normally a couple of warm washes seems to get them to size.

I live in Seattle and I’m inpatient. Can’t wait 4-5 days for my jeans to air dry. Haha plus I’m a rule breaker 

7 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

I wouldn’t put any denim in a dryer (although @shredwin_206 would :laugh:) - and I’ve never had to for FW denim. Normally a couple of warm washes seems to get them to size.

I put denim that I think might shrink in the dryer. Including FW too, for some time. Maybe a month or two. Before that, I thought or heard that the dryer was not an option for real denim. On the other hand, I don't choose the cruelest mode for the dryer. 

7 hours ago, Dr_Heech said:

I'm no @Dr_Heech either, but yes the widths varied depending on vintage era and most pre-1975 redline models have some small width discrepancies on each pair. Just turn them inside out.

Also, could've been dependent on the  factory and the operator putting them together.  

:wink:

Thanks for chipping in mate 

14 hours ago, ken1123 said:

I think its kind of a cool detail or flaw however you wanna look at it. The cutting of the pattern might have been an issue. I assume they cut in layers and maybe the top and bottom layee end up slightly different. The width of the hem is the same you said. So the person making them was probably aware of the difference and made the selvesge line narrower to accommodate. 
just a guess. 

4 hours ago, vlad_III said:

I think its kind of a cool detail or flaw however you wanna look at it. The cutting of the pattern might have been an issue. I assume they cut in layers and maybe the top and bottom layee end up slightly different. The width of the hem is the same you said. So the person making them was probably aware of the difference and made the selvesge line narrower to accommodate. 
just a guess. 

That’s a hugely knowledgeable and informed piece of guess work!

On 11/11/2022 at 12:49 PM, beautiful_FrEaK said:

His shop is called Hoosier (just to clarify)

This is quite easy to find through web search for anyone truly interested, but I know you're kind..)

8 minutes ago, Duke Mantee said:

Based on what knowledge? Tell us more … it sounds we’re getting into factory production methods - very very interesting. 

Based on videos I’ve seen where they cut many layers of fabric at once. Forget what brand now but was one of the Japanese. Something on YouTube. I always thought about how accurate each of those would be. Top and bottom layer could shift a bit more than the ones sandwiched. 
then he said the hem is the same width. That sounds to me like they sacrificed the width of the selvage to keep left and right leg equal. 
my RMC has this too. Measured both legs at several points and they are equal. Like I said it Was just a guess.  

Edited by vlad_III

1 minute ago, Talan said:

Are you? If anything, didn't want to claim your place.

No mate. If I were I wouldn’t have to ask you. You sounded a bit over protective there when it came to his granny. 

@ken1123 I'm curious... what's wrong with uneven selvedge?  

Has the uneven selvedge resulted in any draping differences?

If no draping or wear related issues, it sounds like you got lucky with these.  It makes your pair (most likely) unique. Possibly your own dirty little denim secret :)