Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

rnrswitch

These are the 601RB I just got. The puckering is amazing for having gone thru just one wash apparently.

How is that possible? Settings on the sewing machines?

My RMCs have been worn for almost 8 months, washed once and been soaking wet from rain many times and no where close to that level of puckering. ???IMG_6191.thumb.jpeg.cc8bfbe6874fb32f46941d339d18e26d.jpegIMG_6192.thumb.jpeg.7549079bd6a3341c95547ab1e6cc96f2.jpegIMG_6193.thumb.jpeg.c99202adfe215a48ab012501baa3228a.jpeg

22 minutes ago, julian-wolf said:

How did you wash them? Wearing them for 8 months isn’t going to do as much to pucker the seams as one good trip through an industrial washer & dryer

Just in the washing machine on gentle cycle at 40 degrees C. Hang dried them. And that was 8 months ago. 

Edited by vlad_III

Wash them again and see what happens. But yeah, as Julian said a hot wash and a tumble dry can do wonders on seam puckering.

Re the uneven selvedge, I am a bit surprised this causes such a shock :D

Maybe I'm just used to subpar brands 

Edited by beautiful_FrEaK

24 minutes ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Wash them again and see what happens. But yeah, as Julian said a hit wash and a tumble dry can do wonders on seam puckering.

Re the uneven selvedge, I am a bit surprised this causes such a shock :D

Maybe I'm just used to subpar brands 

Exactly, I had no issue with the subpar brands I owned.

That's why I expect more from Freewheelers which caused the disappointment :biggrin:

12 minutes ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Can happen, conditioning the patch helps and don't overdue it.

@Flash that's exactly how I see it, too.

Interesting. Condition the patch before and maybe wash at 40 degrees again and tumble dry on low heat?

2 minutes ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Yes that can work. No guarantee of course.

And yeah, some brands pucker more than others. Has to do with the setting of the sewing machines, the sewing thread they used and the overall shrinkage of the denim. 

Probably also best to get most shrinkage out with the first wash. I think if I wash them hot now I’ll have the honeycombs on my hamstrings. 

1 hour ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Yep, thats why buying a one-wash version or hot wash to start a pair is a good thing vs.  the "I'll do a cold soak because I fear they might shrink too much "-method :D

For some reason not entirely clear to myself, I always prefer to buy non-wash and do everything myself. And yes, if I'm not sure, I soak in cold water first and see what happens... B)

1 hour ago, beautiful_FrEaK said:

Yep, thats why buying a one-wash version or hot wash to start a pair is a good thing vs.  the "I'll do a cold soak because I fear they might shrink too much "-method :D

I mean I did wash them in the machine at 40 degrees and then put them in the hot bathtub for an hour as well. Just didn’t tumble dry them. 

35 minutes ago, Talan said:

If I'm not mistaken, FW recommends lukewarm wash + hot tumble drying for shrinking out.

Any reference to that? Would be interesting to see 

Jeez - what’s the obsession with ‘puckering’?

That’s all due to the thread tension and the fabric choice - certainly not something that makes sense comparing to some other random pair that will have be built in a different factory, on different machines, with different thread and different fabric.

Washing regimes will play a part - especially using a dryer as @julian-wolf mentioned - but that aside it’s really just down to how the materials have been used.

@vlad_III what you see on your jeans is normal - and different from your other pair of jeans which are also normal

Here’s my 601RB just out of a wash:

CE69669B-B402-4794-88D5-6B24D83DB2C2.jpeg

Edited by Duke Mantee

The grass is always greener on the other side, thats what the obsession is about. I’m not gonna hot wash my RMC jeans after 8 months and move the fades up. But my type three is a litte long in the arms. I’m just fighting it and its only three weeks old. Maybe I’ll try to hot wash that and or tumble dry. 

7 minutes ago, vlad_III said:

The grass is always greener on the other side, thats what the obsession is about. I’m not gonna hot wash my RMC jeans after 8 months and move the fades up. But my type three is a litte long in the arms. I’m just fighting it and its only three weeks old. Maybe I’ll try to hot wash that and or tumble dry. 

?

Hot wash and hot dry will help with pucker action. But that’s how I wash all my jeans. 
the dryer won’t hurt the patch. 
wife had adjusted setting on the wash machine and I now have some beef jerky tags on my FW jeans. It’s all good. Looks like vintage jeans to me. 
have fun. Break the rules. Hot wash, hot dry, wash once every couple weeks, iron the leather patch if you wanna shrink it. 

6 hours ago, vlad_III said:

Any reference to that? Would be interesting to see 

If I had a reference I'd be pretty sure, and wouldn't write "if I am not mistaken". Try flicking through the pages of this thread, it must be somewhere here. Or just wash in warm water and hot tumble dry. I do this regularly with different jeans and other things, so far so good.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:49 AM, vlad_III said:

Good plan. If you move the fades, people will point at you and laugh in the streets.
This happens even if the jeans are clean and smell less. 
;)

13 hours ago, UkeNo said:

Good plan. If you move the fades, people will point at you and laugh in the streets.
This happens even if the jeans are clean and smell less. 
;)

I’m a foreigner living in Japan. Got used to people pointing at me all the time. 

My new S601XX arrived, the version with the red and black pocket lining, non wash. Might be of certain interest to those who haven't had a chance to get this cut yet, the non-wash is just huge in size. My first thought was that FW made a mistake by putting the wrong label on the bigger size piece. However, a warm soak and following washing + tumble drying put everything in its place, the shrinkage was just colossal, I can't remember when I've encountered this before with other brands. After wash/dry measurements are right to the size. 

And, Seiichiro is a treasure, his support is second to none and he was so kind to add warms socks into the package. Our winter here is quite chilly.

Edited by Talan