Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

rnrswitch

Hammersmith.
74W6msE.jpeg
Special heavy weight Power-wear sweat, this one came in a little big big so I gave it a warm wash.
Shrunk up nicely, I have a t-shirt on underneath in this photo.
Some of the nicest sweat material I've handled, and that's compared to RMC, SG, WH, Stevenson, etc.
d3U3jO0.jpeg

On 12/17/2021 at 5:19 PM, Talan said:

Bootleggers & Co 601XX labels contain wealth of names and cultural references from the 40-60s of last century. Kerouac, Cassady, whose signature is in the bottom right corner and who came from a family of real Denver's bootleggers, acid tests, psychedelia, hipsters, subterraneans, skeleton horses, roses, skulls, bones, hearts, swastikas, and even a bus (Furthur?) -- there seem to be transparent hints to Grateful Dead here as well. I'd love to know the details of how the owners of the tiny Japanese brand were related to all this? Does anyone know details? Is there any reading about Bootleggers brand online? Thanks in advance.

IMG_bl.jpg

https://avenuewebstore.com/freewheelers.html

Not a lot of information really, but it might be of some interest as it mentions Hipsters Reunion and I’d advise searching through shop/stockists blogs (those that sell FW probably sold Bootleggers if they’ve been open long enough), or if you have specific questions I might be able to help.

644DE4C9-15B1-445D-B20B-AA856891955B.jpeg

Edited by Duke Mantee

4 hours ago, Cozzie said:

@Duke. Hipster reunion is a different sub label then bootleggers? For some reason I was thinking it was branding under the bootleggers sub label. My bad…

Hipsters Reunion is a sub brand. Bootleggers was the old company before Freewheelers. A good number of FW designs have been over from the old days, but it was really when the new company started that the sub branding became a more obvious strategy.

7 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

https://avenuewebstore.com/freewheelers.html

Not a lot of information really, but it might be of some interest as it mentions Hipsters Reunion and I’d advise searching through shop/stockists blogs (those that sell FW probably sold Bootleggers if they’ve been open long enough), or if you have specific questions I might be able to help.

644DE4C9-15B1-445D-B20B-AA856891955B.jpeg

Thank you!

9 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Hipsters Reunion is a sub brand. Bootleggers was the old company before Freewheelers. A good number of FW designs have been over from the old days, but it was really when the new company started that the sub branding became a more obvious strategy.

Aahh, I see now. thx for straightening me out duke.  When did the company name switch from bootleggers to freewheelers? 

“Lost now on the country mile with his Cadillac.” Geez I’m all sorts of lost haha, thx @Duke.  I kno the bootleggers branding is not still around I didn’t realize they r treated as separate companies.  Really appreciate the knowledge. That’s y I hang around here.  That’s a sweeeeet label with “cowboy Neil” there.

Edited by Cozzie
Typo

3 hours ago, Cozzie said:

“Lost now on the country mile with his Cadillac.” Geez I’m all sorts of lost haha, thx @Duke.  I kno the bootleggers branding is not still around I didn’t realize they r treated as separate companies.  Really appreciate the knowledge. That’s y I hang around here.  That’s a sweeeeet label with “cowboy Neil” there.

Well they’re not ‘treated’ as separate companies - Bootleggers Reunion IS a completely different company from Freewheelers. Bootleggers had to close.

• 2 weeks later...

@shredwin_206 I'm no sir Duke but I'm happy to oblige.
S601XX (right) worn for about 6/7 months, compared with my 601xx 1943s (left) which haven't been worn much.
The 1943s were a more limited release, but I feel like the denim is more similar to the mainline 1947 and 1951.
rEgBSja.jpg
eOBR5yG.jpg
yZU7yju.jpg
x7Pdz7j.jpg
cYfrNE9.jpg
UAxrgul.jpg