Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

rnrswitch

43 minutes ago, srudy said:

Might just keep the pokey, sharp rivets for now too. They don’t seem to be causing too much trouble just yet. But I am thinking about getting these hemmed. How are you all wearing the length?

As I’ve told others - you should be wearing these with the hem sitting on the ankle touching your shoe. Cuffs weren’t allowed as per the War Production Board via Executive Order 9024 signed by FDR in 1942

Hi all, have a question regarding the differences between the 1947’s and the 1951’s.  

I originally thought the difference was in fit only but I’ve recently heard the denim is slightly different between the two despite both being “601xx”. I’ve also seen the 47’s being typically priced a bit higher. Anyone know what the specific differences in the denim or details are, if any? Thanks.

Just spent a week in New Orleans wearing my S601XXs, first thing I did when I got home was throw them in the washer.
Denim is breaking in nicely, I'm still trying to decide if I should hem them. They look okay with a double cuff but are a little long with just a single.
hIAEarz.jpg
52o5lVI.jpg
tQEd0Ia.jpg
KVZMOPn.jpg
WZiYZ3d.jpg
Zwhrcwv.jpg
MDqGtf6.jpg
7N1jE6j.jpg
ZfWHG6N.jpg
IS1xY9a.jpg

5 hours ago, JohnnyUtah247 said:

Hi all, have a question regarding the differences between the 1947’s and the 1951’s.  

I originally thought the difference was in fit only but I’ve recently heard the denim is slightly different between the two despite both being “601xx”. I’ve also seen the 47’s being typically priced a bit higher. Anyone know what the specific differences in the denim or details are, if any? Thanks.

Same denim - different dying and thread types.

Frankly if anyone can tell the difference between any of the 601 (excluding war denim) without closely inspecting them side by side is doing amazingly well

18 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Same denim - different dying and thread types.

Frankly if anyone can tell the difference between any of the 601 (excluding war denim) without closely inspecting them side by side is doing amazingly well

Thanks for the knowledge duke. I’ve been eyeing freewheelers for a while and don’t really have any tapered jeans in the case closet now, might grab the 51’s. 

Found this jacket for a pretty good price.  Did any of you get one?  Can you let me know if you sized up, how it fits and how you are liking it?

Screen Shot 2021-07-22 at 2.51.04 PM.png

I can’t answer a ‘sized up’ query based on not knowing what size you are - but the jacket fits true to FW norm, it’s not a slim cut nor is it oversized for layering purposes. I’m a 40 in most and that’s what I’d order (I have the original version from some years back)

Ok then. It’ll be too big for me. Was worried with the P2P being a bit bigger than usual, but really liked this one and didn’t want to miss out. Thanks @Duke Mantee

On 7/22/2021 at 10:52 PM, srudy said:

Found this jacket for a pretty good price.  Did any of you get one?  Can you let me know if you sized up, how it fits and how you are liking it?

I bought this in a 42 - its a tad roomy but fine with a sweater -  a 40 would have been too narrow in the shoulder.

I have an Eastman Navy deck jacket in a 42 as well and a McCoys Zeilinski in a 42 as well for ref. Its supposed to fit as it does - go usual size.

5 hours ago, persco_ said:

Nice frames. They look like Molinos? Torinos? (Can never tell those two apart). I just picked up a pair of Scarpas...

Molino - I bought them long before the current JMM tidal wave, that’s the 3rd prescription lens (with reacto-lite or whatever the sun blocking gizmo is called)

4 hours ago, JDelage said:

Dealan Argyle?

See above, but all nice frames - I think the designs generally are top notch, but I think they’re a little overpriced. They sell on ‘specifications’ the way Mister Freedom does - nicely written but actually quite meaningless.

4 hours ago, Broark said:

General consensus on the Longshoreman trousers?
Found a pair from 2017 I’m interested in, navy duck canvas. 
Only photos I found on here were from @JDelage with his denim version. 
I’m sure you have a pair tucked away somewhere @Duke Mantee?

Longshoreman is an ancient design, but read that as a classic for FW. It’s been done in many different fabrics I’ve a couple of pairs but not the canvas you mention. Quite slim in the top block and straight through the leg - they look good on most if you get the fit right. The canvas I’d expect to be quite heavy.

49 minutes ago, Double 0 Soul said:

You've got a nice head Mike :blush:.. after all these years, i think it's the first time ive seen it.

One of my mates has the same steeze, bald head, greying beard, he's 49 and honestly you don't look much older than he does.

There’s a few pics of my dome dotted about mate - it is what it is, I think generally if you’re bald then your head suits it - mostly by familiarity (the way even Steve Buscemi looks handsome)- but thank god I don’t look much older than 49 … I’m only 34

5 hours ago, Broark said:

General consensus on the Longshoreman trousers?
Found a pair from 2017 I’m interested in, navy duck canvas. 
Only photos I found on here were from @JDelage with his denim version. 
I’m sure you have a pair tucked away somewhere @Duke Mantee?

I have a pair of the classic wabash twill (correct me if I am using the wrong terminology here). I absolutely love it. It's a bit loud because of the wabash stripes, but the fit is flattering. Pretty straight like the Duke said, but enough room for me to work in or even do some climbing in. I prefer the fit of the Longshoreman over the Trackwalker Overalls that I also have.

Thanks Duke/cungster. 
I've been after a pair of pants from FW that's different without being too wild, think these could be it.
They haven't made too many versions of the Longshoreman recently.
Not too many excessive pockets. :D

4 hours ago, Broark said:

That's the one thing that puts me off on a lot of FWs trousers, a lot of them just have too much going on.
Here are the ones in question.
PRT_6285_20170919.jpg
PRT_6438_20171030.jpg
PRT_6439_20171030.jpg

LSM can get a bit busy with the pockets but this particular iteration has plain fabric (i.e. no patterns, or at least obvious ones), so the pockets will blend a bit better. On the wabash LSM, the wabash fabric on the side pocket on the right is sewn horizontally rather than vertically, as are the pockets!

I am not sure how easy it is to find them but I know FW has done plainer looking trousers in the past. 

The whole Freewheelers only makes trousers with dozens of pockets is just faulty generalization. I think this is because some of their more distinctive (or blatant) designs are what people remember. 

Here’s a few from the first couple of collections alone that have ‘only’ 4 pockets - there are many more:

Williamsburg Overalls - 2 front slant side x 2 rear welted

Canal Overalls - 2 front slant side x 2 rear patch

Steeler Overalls - 2 rect. front patch x 2 rear patch

Brakeman Overalls - 2 front round x 2 rear patch

Mohawk Trousers - 2 front patch x 2 rear patch

Hudson Trousers - 2 front slant side x 2 welted with flap

I have a couple of pairs of the El Capitan climbing pants which are quite understated – they do have a small patch pocket at the lower thigh, which I find useful for keeping my phone on school sport days. They're my uniform for any day at school where there will be any physical activity affording an excuse to wear something other than workshop/kitchen-appropriate attire. If only I had an outlet for my predilection for vintage workwear-inspired garments..:rolleyes: