Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

rnrswitch

20 hours ago, JMS said:

Does FW make their own duck canvas? I almost like it more than their denim. 

Further to my previous response to you I know the Timber Beast and Yellowstone are the same fabric, but I thought the Colimbo Midas Trapper Gun Coat was the same duck too although both companies are saying they are original fabrics - I sold the gun coat a few years ago but there’s a pic of me wearing it in the unknown Japanese brand thread and I’ve added a few images below; the first being the Colimbo coat, then the Timber Beast then the Yellowstone 

18 hours ago, JDelage said:

I'd love to known more about how they develop their fabrics generally speaking. I suppose most are custom made for them by mills that they contract with, but in truth I have no idea... :blush2:

I’m a little bit limited here but although FW use the word ‘original’ quite frequently (habitually IMO) the majority of the fabrics aren’t FW specific. I think there are very few of the well known brands here that genuinely develop fabric from spinning/weaving through finishing to the garment. Original is quite hazy in its meaning - 601XX denim being custom to specifications set out by FW (yarn, dye etc), but most others being chosen from an available catalogue with perhaps a colour option being specified, or a particular finish applied. I guess the question is - what is ‘original’?

81A1199C-020A-49DE-8A3B-09E009B1C5BA.jpeg

B2A669C4-5F7D-416C-B374-ACDC729BB75F.jpeg

1B3542ED-25D0-48A0-B779-590D6FF3E772.jpeg

Edited by Duke Mantee

1 hour ago, lee porter said:

Is there anywhere that has the 601zxx in a w36 if not will they make again the 51s are borderline on the waist I presume I better size up to 36 if I can find some appreciate any help cheers lee

Not sure if this will help, but I find the denim in the 601xx '51s is quite stretchy. I sized up to 33 (from normally 32) and wish I had actually sized down. I love them (and wear them a lot) but they're a tiny bit sloppier than would be ideal for me.

The more I look at the Timber Beast the more I want it...but all the shops that have it currently won't ship to the US since EMS is still down.
Already checked with Seiichiro and no dice so maybe it's a sign. I', curious how warm it is.
00049024.JPG

Edited by Broark

3 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

Go on ...

Well, first I don't see the point of an all cotton jacket with a hood. Either a jacket is meant for dry weather and it needs no hood, or it's meant for (occasional) rain and it shouldn't be dry cotton, much less canvas. Second I think those weird placket pockets are an abomination. Third, I like some asymmetry, but that one's a bridge too far. Fourth, I suspect those back pockets are not going to be used by the vast majority of buyers in the vast majority of cases. And fifth, I've come to realize that I really like pockets I can (comfortably) put my hands in on a jacket, ideally hand-warmers.

Apart from the above, it's great. :tongue: I think the fabric is lovely and of course I love the attention to details.

2 hours ago, JDelage said:

Well, first I don't see the point of an all cotton jacket with a hood. Either a jacket is meant for dry weather and it needs no hood, or it's meant for (occasional) rain and it shouldn't be dry cotton, much less canvas. Second I think those weird placket pockets are an abomination. Third, I like some asymmetry, but that one's a bridge too far. Fourth, I suspect those back pockets are not going to be used by the vast majority of buyers in the vast majority of cases. And fifth, I've come to realize that I really like pockets I can (comfortably) put my hands in on a jacket, ideally hand-warmers.

Apart from the above, it's great. :tongue: I think the fabric is lovely and of course I love the attention to details.

17770D4F-FD9F-4EA7-9408-03E24364EA70.gif

4 hours ago, JDelage said:

Well, first I don't see the point of an all cotton jacket with a hood. Either a jacket is meant for dry weather and it needs no hood, or it's meant for (occasional) rain and it shouldn't be dry cotton, much less canvas. 

Lol. But you're in Seattle, right? I'm in Vancouver... We likely have very different expectations of rain-worthy gear from others.

I’m from Seattle and have only owned cotton and wool jackets... unless i was outside for hours I never got fully soaked through; at least up until the past few years it never rained hard enough to warrant anything more specialized! I do think there are a variety of opinions on the topic, but friends growing up used to joke you could tell whether someone was from out of town by whether they carried an umbrella :P

In London, however, I did get well and truly soaked as a result of inadequate rainwear - I get the sense there that cotton won’t fly; you’ve really got to be prepared!

On 1/16/2021 at 4:36 PM, Duke Mantee said:

comparisons to others (details, measurements etc) ... please?

Added a layman's features/details comparison of the FW 1927 type 1 to the CSF 1946 first half... in the denim jacket thread here....

What about Jeans Jackets .... - Page 109 - superdenim - superfuture – supertalk