Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

rnrswitch

3 hours ago, Dr_Heech said:

Thanks for the education mate.

:laugh2:

Actually FW are notoriously vague in dating the ‘model’ they issue. It’s either 30’s or 40s as above - they have issued a 43 and the 27 but in the case of the 43 it seemed more of an excuse to jump on the wonky stitch bandwagon and IMO it was just a mash-up. The intent of the 27 might be a bit more about accuracy but again there’s probably some details that could be debated. The 30s and 40s models are anyone’s guess as to the actual model.

8 minutes ago, Flash said:

I’m not really one for leather jackets but that really is a stunner 

Was thinking the same thing, I've given up finding my "perfect" leather jacket but this is pretty damn close. Now if I could track down a 46.

3 minutes ago, persco_ said:

@Duke Mantee Which model jacket is that?

I believe it's the Mulholland from FW.

Yep, that’s the Mulholland. 

This used to belong to @dudewuttheheck - I swapped mine (size 40) for his (size 42). I think it fits just a touch too big, although that might just be memory, compared to how I usually buy/wear but I have a dodgy shoulder and this gives me a bit of comfort. There’s actually very little difference between sizes - more like sizing up a half size.

27 minutes ago, SallyKolchine said:

Those pants aren't the infamous "gloom" colorway are they, Duke? Always wish Freewheelers would pull that one out of the archives.

They are, but the colour is quite different in that pic because of the setting sun. Really hard to describe but really lovely

I reached out to Desolation Row to see if they had a Mulholland in 46 and they do...but they won't ship to the US right now with EMS still shut down.
The measurements seem perfect too. :wacko:

Edited by Broark

55 minutes ago, Broark said:

I reached out to Desolation Row to see if they had a Mulholland in 46 and they do...but they won't ship to the US right now with EMS still shut down.
The measurements seem perfect too. :wacko:

EMS is shipping to Canada. I've just ordered from Celluloid and UES, both used EMS. Let me know if you want me to ship it to you from here. It'll take longer, but at least you get what you want.

1 hour ago, Duke Mantee said:

How much is shipping normally?

I'd imagine it's somewhere between $50-80 USD, I'd imagine the jacket is fairly heavy.
But I have no experience buying leather jackets, let alone from Japan directly...I'm sure @dudewuttheheck has a better idea.

1 hour ago, persco_ said:

EMS is shipping to Canada. I've just ordered from Celluloid and UES, both used EMS. Let me know if you want me to ship it to you from here. It'll take longer, but at least you get what you want.

Thanks for the offer, that'd be quite the world tour for a jacket. :D 
I still need to convince myself that I should be spending ¥250,000 on a leather jacket...Desolation Row also said it'd be that price plus Japanese taxes!
I'd likely get hit by customs too, so we're talking about a lot of cash. Maybe I'll just go to Desolation Row next year and try it on in person...

5 hours ago, Broark said:

Now you want to talk about a world tour, that jacket would go from Japan to Scotland to Duke then to England to MJF9 to try on and then to the US unless it gets lost on the way :)!

You need one extra leg on that world tour mate!

11 hours ago, Broark said:

I'd imagine it's somewhere between $50-80 USD, I'd imagine the jacket is fairly heavy.
But I have no experience buying leather jackets, let alone from Japan directly...I'm sure @dudewuttheheck has a better idea.

Thanks for the offer, that'd be quite the world tour for a jacket. :D 
I still need to convince myself that I should be spending ¥250,000 on a leather jacket...Desolation Row also said it'd be that price plus Japanese taxes!
I'd likely get hit by customs too, so we're talking about a lot of cash. Maybe I'll just go to Desolation Row next year and try it on in person...

Yeah you're just about spot on. I usually get charged around $80 in shipping from Japan. It could be more now with them not using EMS. For example, my latest pre-order from Mushmans for a leather jacket was 9,400 JPY for shipping which is more than I usually pay. 

IMO if you're going to spend $2k plus on a leather jacket, Freewheelers is the one to buy from.

Edited by dudewuttheheck

I hope that’s an extra 0 on your shipping quote, or it comes with a flight to Japan. :D I guess my hang up with spending that much cash is not being able to try something on before buying it. The measurements look good, plenty of room in the chest. I just don’t know enough about leather jackets yet I guess.

13 minutes ago, Broark said:

I hope that’s an extra 0 on your shipping quote, or it comes with a flight to Japan. :D I guess my hang up with spending that much cash is not being able to try something on before buying it. The measurements look good, plenty of room in the chest. I just don’t know enough about leather jackets yet I guess.

lol yeah I fixed that haha. Divide by 100 for yen, not 1k d'oh. That's fair. I certainly size my leather jackets differently than I size other jackets in general.

Edited by dudewuttheheck

Just now, Broark said:

The only leather jacket I’ve actually tried on is from Fine Creek and it was way too small. But there’s a big difference in the measurements too.

I have had very good luck buying leather jackets online without trying them on. In fact, the only leather jacket I bought online that did not fit well was my custom Aero from last year which was just way too loose in the body. 

For me, the biggest difference is I feel like I need a little more room in the chest and shoulder with a leather jacket than with a cotton jacket.