Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

rnrswitch

On 8/8/2020 at 12:18 PM, MJF9 said:

@owlofminerva Obviously Duke's your man for FW.... fwiw I like your fit and think it's in keeping with the intended style. The jacket fits well in the shoulders - therefore I can't see a smaller jacket size working. The sleeves are all I'd let the tailor loose on from what I can see. I personally like room in trousers when worn with suspenders and I think suspenders would bring this outfit to life. Why not put some good wear into the outfit first to see how it drapes to your body, before deciding on any intervention from a tailor which would likely be irreversible.

On 8/8/2020 at 2:04 PM, Duke Mantee said:

Said it better than me - sizing is very personal and it defines your style

On 8/8/2020 at 2:58 PM, MJF9 said:

You've demonstrated the spectrum here Duke which shows how a range of sizing can work well.

Tangential but related, I remember a post from Roy (maybe on his IG) where he wears his jeans in three sizes. One size down, his 'usual' size and one up. All three worked and worked well. All it came down to, as you say, and as did he, was personal preference.

I really appreciate your help thinking this through, MJF9 and Duke.

Just now, Duke Mantee said:

I think there’s still a few shirts kicking about

I'm going to do another round of searching. There was one yellow one in my size (16) at Genco, but I think that one is gone now unfortunately. I also just checked realmoon through your link and did not see it, but I'll go search some of the other sites.

11 minutes ago, dudewuttheheck said:

I'm going to do another round of searching. There was one yellow one in my size (16) at Genco, but I think that one is gone now unfortunately. I also just checked realmoon through your link and did not see it, but I'll go search some of the other sites.

Blue version

https://mcflystore.web.fc2.com/stock/freewheelers/fw_l_s_shirt/fw_l_s_shirt.html

7 minutes ago, dudewuttheheck said:

Thanks a lot! I'm going to keep looking for the yellow one (found a couple not in my size unfortunately), but I may end up "settling" for the blue one.

No problem and good luck (tbh I like both but the blue is more flexible in terms of color match)

1 minute ago, Duke Mantee said:

No problem and good luck (tbh I like both but the blue is more flexible in terms of color match)

Oh, without question the blue is more versatile and I quite like both as well. The yellow is just more unique IMO.

Edited by dudewuttheheck

1 hour ago, Broark said:

Nice, I saw the product reservation page go up on Mirror Ball but no photos yet.
Looking forward to some photos, those buttons look nice.

It’s the buttons that got my attention 

59 minutes ago, Dr_Heech said:

^Very nice indeed. First warehouse and now Freewheelers. Glad there is more interest in reproducing the 1920's Levis jeans and jackets. Looking forward to pics and discussion when it arrives Duke.

Me too doc - you know me though, I’m quite cynical about the authenticity of design ... their WW2 jacket was a fib off I think, and to choose 1927 I’m not sure is for real history or to simply allow more design license 

9 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

It’s the buttons that got my attention 

Me too doc - you know me though, I’m quite cynical about the authenticity of design ... their WW2 jacket was a fib off I think, and to choose 1927 I’m not sure is for real history or to simply allow more design license.

I think 1927 was when Levis added the pocket flap to the 506xx, plus a true 1920's would have a squarer collar and much thinner pleat box stitching than is found on later models. Branded buttons were also introduced around '27/28, but the jacket used the smaller, fly sized buttons until c.1934.

The FW jacket you posted seems to have all those traits.

Edited by Dr_Heech
Memory loss

3 hours ago, Dr_Heech said:

I think 1927 was when Levis added the pocket flap to the 506xx, plus a true 1920's would have a squarer collar and much thinner pleat box stitching than is found on later models. Branded buttons were also introduced around '27/28, but the jacket used the smaller, fly sized buttons until c.1934.

The FW jacket you posted seems to have all those traits.

Yep, the general details are there as you’ve described Doc (different denim for the cinch too). FW normally do one of two things:

1. Make a replica (with the general modern constraints inbuilt)

2. Invent something in a general approach from a found vintage piece

I’ve got a sneaking suspicion they’ve actually created a hybrid in their approach here. That said, I’m looking forward to seeing this for myself - it’ll be a few weeks though, I’m waiting on the jeans so they’re sent as one package 

On 8/13/2020 at 4:22 PM, MJF9 said:

@Duke Mantee that jacket looks very nice... buttons, curved pocket flap and squarer collar all stand out.  Is it also a bit shorter than the later type 1s FW have recently put out?

What jeans are you getting?  (apologies if this is up there somewhere)

It’s a little bit shorter - but be careful because recent Type 1s were specifically longer than the early FW models

I’m waiting on the 1922 Lot601XX, they should be issued in a week or so

Edited by Duke Mantee