Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

rnrswitch

@Duke Mantee would it be totally unreasonable to ask Seiichiro at Hoosier for a list of 17.5 shirts he has in stock?
Since he doesn't list stock online I'd be interested in seeing what shirts he has in my size. Once EMS is back up and running that is.

45 minutes ago, Broark said:

@Duke Mantee would it be totally unreasonable to ask Seiichiro at Hoosier for a list of 17.5 shirts he has in stock?
Since he doesn't list stock online I'd be interested in seeing what shirts he has in my size. Once EMS is back up and running that is.

No harm in asking ...

11 minutes ago, Broark said:

@Duke Mantee thanks! I've been clearing out my closet and selling so stuff so I'm looking to hopefully fill it with a few FW shirts.
I've found that the two I have fit me better than most other Japanese brands.

I think it’ll just depend on the shirt - is there anything you’re looking for in particular?

The few I was interested in off hand are recent Diamond Cracker in white or navy (I think you mentioned he was out of the white), wabash Ironall, Neal indigo windowpane 2013001.
That's just off the top of my head, just was interested to see what he might have on hand...

2 minutes ago, Broark said:

The few I was interested in off hand are recent Diamond Cracker in white or navy (I think you mentioned he was out of the white), wabash Ironall, Neal indigo windowpane 2013001.
That's just off the top of my head, just was interested to see what he might have on hand...

Well let’s see what he comes back with

The Diamond Cracker was available at DR tho’

It strikes me that more recent seasons have seen FW produce shirts that are slightly bigger than earlier years - it’s not an act towards winning the western market, it’s just the styles have been of a looser cut ... point I’m making is that you’re more likely to get a fit AND availability 

I think that's part of it too, I prefer a looser shirt to a fitted one.
Case in point being that I'm selling most of the IH shirts I've bought over the years. They're all slim cut compared to FW even if designed with the western market in mind.
And they're just too hot / uncomfortable to wear 75% of the year here.
My Neal chambray and Slingshot are much more comfortable.

I got the Cannabis Runoff one from that same batch, I imagine that I get looks for wearing it sometimes since I'm in Texas. Although Austin is pretty liberal.
Not a big fan of the ones they've done so far this summer.

Just now, Broark said:

I got the Cannabis Runoff one from that same batch, I imagine that I get looks for wearing it sometimes since I'm in Texas. Although Austin is pretty liberal.
Not a big fan of the ones they've done so far this summer.

Well it could be worse - you might’ve worn a Glass Brain Bucket :ohmy:

Some seasons I just don’t like the t-shirts, other seasons I’ll buy 2 or 3. I think that’s what’s good - something new or different every time.

Also, there’s a tremendous amount of time put into developing the print effect. I think it’s something many people don’t realise.

10 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

@Broark I was just chatting to him about some stuff anyway (FW taking the piss out of Nike) so I asked him the question 

I just saw his IG post. Did a quick search on the web and found this. No wonder none of the retailers are showing pictures of the "Smoke 'em" and "Dope Runner" tee shirt. FW's design is more of a pipe with smoke coming out instead of the Swoosh. 

49885095481_c8d0f4757d_z.jpg

"Great logos can make a company. When a logo becomes prominent, it can also slip into the murky waters between design and trademark law. No Nike mark fits this situation better than what is officially termed the "Sunburst" log. The Sunburst design was initially sketched out by Nike's first employee, Jeff Johnson, after he saw the logo 1972 Olympic logo. (1972 Munich Logo) Nike's Trademark team filed the Sunburst in 1976 the US and it was registered in 1978. In the early 1980s Nike decided to move away from using it all together. Because the mark was not being used on product for sale, Nike was unable to renew the US registration. But, as the saying goes, everything old is new again. A new generation of designers began playing with history, and wanted to involve the Sunburst. So in 2008, Nike again filed trademark application to register Sunburst and gave Nike Sportswear the permission to use it as a brand mark, with the understanding that they don't alter the classic Sunburst design in any way. "The Sunburst is really, truly, in its infancy, like the Swoosh was back in its infancy in the 1970s." said Sedler. "So because of that, we have to be more pristine in our use of the Sunburst because it hasn't gained its fame yet." Which, of course, begs the question: How can a logo created in the early 1970s be considered in its infancy? Its an answer better left to the lawyers"

9 hours ago, Duke Mantee said:

P1100554.jpg

P1100556.jpg

I met a fellow at Inspiration this year who was wearing an original of one of these. I have to say this FW version really captures the look of that original. 

3 hours ago, Snake said:

I just saw his IG post. Did a quick search on the web and found this. No wonder none of the retailers are showing pictures of the "Smoke 'em" and "Dope Runner" tee shirt. FW's design is more of a pipe with smoke coming out instead of the Swoosh. 

49885095481_c8d0f4757d_z.jpg

"Great logos can make a company. When a logo becomes prominent, it can also slip into the murky waters between design and trademark law. No Nike mark fits this situation better than what is officially termed the "Sunburst" log. The Sunburst design was initially sketched out by Nike's first employee, Jeff Johnson, after he saw the logo 1972 Olympic logo. (1972 Munich Logo) Nike's Trademark team filed the Sunburst in 1976 the US and it was registered in 1978. In the early 1980s Nike decided to move away from using it all together. Because the mark was not being used on product for sale, Nike was unable to renew the US registration. But, as the saying goes, everything old is new again. A new generation of designers began playing with history, and wanted to involve the Sunburst. So in 2008, Nike again filed trademark application to register Sunburst and gave Nike Sportswear the permission to use it as a brand mark, with the understanding that they don't alter the classic Sunburst design in any way. "The Sunburst is really, truly, in its infancy, like the Swoosh was back in its infancy in the 1970s." said Sedler. "So because of that, we have to be more pristine in our use of the Sunburst because it hasn't gained its fame yet." Which, of course, begs the question: How can a logo created in the early 1970s be considered in its infancy? Its an answer better left to the lawyers"

I had that logo on a Nike shirt i bought around 1979/80, one of the first things I bought with my own money when I was about 12 years old. I wore that shirt to rags. Recall that Nike was an upscale, niche brand then. They basically had two-three models, the waffle trainer, leather b-balls and the canvas tennies with the foam filled tongue. 

Edited by peter1

WRT graphic tees, I like their national park series ... but they're too bold for me to wear. My home base is in Seattle, and I've been tempted to buy that one, but it's not worth the drama I'd face. (Image courtesy of The Wild One.)

mtrainier-offwhite_a00101.jpg

2 hours ago, peter1 said:

I had that logo on a Nike shirt i bought around 1979/80, one of the first things I bought with my own money when I was about 12 years old. I wore that shirt to rags. Recall that Nike was an upscale, niche brand then. They basically had two-three models, the waffle trainer, leather b-balls and the canvas tennies with the foam filled tongue. 

Nike started life as Blue Ribbon Sport in 1962/3 as the US distributor of Onitsuka running shoes, selling them from the back of a van, after tinkering with the design to meet the needs of collage running students (its founders Bowerman/Knight were both middle distance runners at the university of Oregon) they designed the Boston, Marathon, Corsair (originally the Onitsuka Corsair which would be rebranded as the Nike Cortez) for the Japanese shoe company but in 1971 BRS split from Ontisuka and took the designs with them, re-naming the company Nike. The Waffles (as you mention) were released in 1974 after Bill Bowerman experimenting in his kitchen poured rubber into his waffle iron and cut out the shape of a sole...:D

By 79/80 Nike had quite a range with the intention of breakingb the Adidas dominated US running shoe market, you will find page after page of 70's era MiJ Nike runners in old copies of Boon.

The Swoosh was designed in 1971 by a graphic-design student for which she was paid $35, legend has it that in 1983 Bowerman/Knight took her out to dinner and gave her a diamond ring and an envelope full of Nike stock, the amount has never been disclosed but she is said to have been very well compensated for her design. B)