Freewheelers, Bootleggers Reunion, Bubo, etc.

rnrswitch

bananafish is another good stockist of the freewheelers stuff.

Actually, bananafish is on rakuten borderless. I have had them ship to me before.

I don't think they ship to the states anymore though, due to that whole shipping fiasco a month or so ago.

Here is a link to Porky's website. They do freewheelers as well.

http://search.borderless.rakuten.com/borderless/search.action?sid=porkys&l=en

• 2 weeks later...
Stop tempting me. I have almost had john from speedwayshop special order the size 16 for me multiple times. I just never hit the send button for the email.

I have almost picked these babies up as well.

1022011-7.jpg?_ex=300x300&s=2&r=1

i thought that you already owned these, or something incredibly similar

i thought that you already owned these, or something incredibly similar

I only own the pants posted on the first page of the thread. Similar, but just a bit different.

It may all stem back to the buffalo head nickels as well. Not positive though.

I've seen those reprod EWMI jackets before in Japanese mags... had no idea who made them.

I think there are several companies reproducing EW jackets, like Jelado for example. And when it comes to pricing, I think originals are rarely more expensive than Japanese reproductions, though some models will definitely go for big bucks.

Huh, I wonder is there any trademark issues in reproducing the EWMIs, or if it's just a case of Japan having less (or no) enforcement?

Does anyone here have any experience with the Hipster Reunion jackets? The 'Barnstormer' model looks pretty awesome.

EWMI is a bit like Buco...the brand itself seems to be in limbo. The guy behind it now lives in Hawaii and is out of the clothing business ( in fact he is retired), although I believe he has a pretty nice archive. I think he may be pleased to see the designs still being produced and thus doesn't litigate ...it could also be that he's licensing some of these Japanese remakes, although I haven't seen any that use the actual EWMI branding.

I've handled a couple Freewheelers/ Hipsters etc. leathers. They're all made to the same standard. They are absolutely.....sick ( I hate that word but what are you going to do).

The hides are unbelievable. They are all hand finished and they don't put protective coatings on them so they are not as stiff as the Aero product or a lot of the other Japanese jackets. They also have a lot more grain and colour variation from the get go. They alternate panels of more grainy hide with smoother ones through the jackets. All the details- buttons, linings,pockets etc. are beautiful in their own right....they use stuff like check shirting flannel, indigo wabash, really nice wool twill,etc. All pretty next level.

They fit true to size. I am a 40 inch chest and tried on a 40 and it was perfect. A 38 (which, when they make it, is actually only half a size down...1cm less in the shoulder and chest usually) would have been a little bit too small.

I'm pretty sure I will be blowing this years ( and next years ) clothing budget on a Brakeman in Canyon Brown. Having seen and handled one, I don't care if I'm never able to buy another jacket, so long as I can have this one.

The Brakeman.

Really fantastic looking, as is this EWMI 'Barnstormer' remake:

5411529731_edbbe37e68_z.jpg

I hear you about the budget, Lits, this would be a whole years clothes budget and then some for me. And I don't relish saying the name "Hipster Reunion" if anyone were to ask me what it was.

Where did you handle this stuff, btw?

@rnr: the Brakeman is this one:

da1b15b6.jpg

A good link for detail shots (in fact a good stockist for Freewheelers stuff in general) is:

http://www.genco-clothing.com/SHOP/831004-CBRN.html

The guy they have modeling it has it buttoned strangely and possibly sized wrong which makes it look a bit weird. If it's sized correctly it looks much more like it does on the mannequin in the first shot I posted.

It really needs to be seen in person though. The cut is really nice....great taper in from the shoulders to the waist and the armholes are cut high. There are gussets under the armpits so it's still easy to move around. The bottom is scalloped like a shirt, only shallower, and it's longer at the front than at the back. The body is made up of only four panels-two in the front and two in the back-so really it's all about the cut and the quality of the hide for that particular model. They seem to break in really nicely too. Here's a couple of pics of a black one that's seen some wear:

front:

brkemanblkfrnt.jpg

back:

brkemanblkbk.jpg

@roy6: A friend of my sisters who goes to Japan a lot had a model called "Little Wing" which is made from bullhide which I got to check out in Hong Kong when i visited her over the summer. I tried the Brakeman on in Porky's in Kyoto. They only had the black in stock though, so even if I hadn't been suffering near fatal sticker shock on that occasion I wouldn't have bought. As for the name.....you could tell them it's by Freewheelers,

which it is.....or just tell them it's called "3rd Stone" . They seem to name the 60's jackets after Hendrix songs. I think we can all get behind that. :)

Edit: btw the linings on the 60's ones are wild!

I'm pretty sure I will be blowing this years ( and next years ) clothing budget on a Brakeman in Canyon Brown. Having seen and handled one, I don't care if I'm never able to buy another jacket, so long as I can have this one.

I sometimes think that it would be nice to have one leather jacket, one denim, jacket, one pair of jeans and one pair of boots.

But what would we talk about here?

Something amusing I found while trying to find pictures of the '60s repro linings:

Do a Google image search for "bootleggers reunion barnstormer hipster".

Does anyone know where I can get a size 1930's style 6 7/8 Warp and Woof S&P Casquette that recently came out. I asked my wife to purchase it as soon as it came out late last year and she totally forgot. Now The Wild One is sold out on them and other Japanese sites just don't offer anything that small.

Cheers!

^^Ha ha...obviously from this point the conversation is doomed to start going round in circles.....:D

I agree with you on the one pair of denims, one leather thing....I have way too much shit, a lot of which I hardly ever wear. I'm going on a consumption hiatus (errr.....sometime soon...probably).

At the least the Roy x Cones mean I am no longer scouring the internet for pants, though.

Sorry marineabilly, that was at roy6.

I haven't seen the Warp and Woof casquette. I'm not actually sure they are part of Freewheelers. Did you try Genco?

If you're sure they are a Freewheelers sub brand and are willing to use a proxy, I have a txt document somewhere with a bunch of stockists who aren't on rakuten on it. Lemme know if you want it and I'll pm it to ya.