Denim Shopping info Japan. Stores and More

beatle

Okay - there have been a bunch of new threads regarding shopping and store info in Japan.

If you have questions - or answers , are planning a trip to Japan , please post right here.

Will keep the forum a lot cleaner and all the information in one thread...

Thanks for understanding

Scoon0224

I'm on my way to Tokyo next Thursday. Not a vacation, but I'll have some time to myself to peruse some denim shops.

Rt now on my list of places to go:

Evisu, Fab Four, Warehouse, and Pure Blue Japan (have they changed their relaxed cut?) and probably 45rpm too.

#1 on my list of personal pick-ups is a pair of Evisu's, handpainted. Had a black-arc pair of 2000's I got in Osaka a few years ago... sold em as I wound up not liking the fit. Getting 2001's or something else more relaxed this time around.

Any other recommendations? Indigofans Osaka maps were essential to my enjoyment of Osaka. I was nerding out... but only had enough cash for those No1's that I wound up not even keeping, ouch... passed on too many things. But what of the things not included on his map? And where IS the Evisu store where I can actually get handpainted No1's? (not on Indigofans map! but its supposed to be close to Ebisu station...)

I'm also willing to make some pickups while I'm there (probably most convenient for North Americans, as I'll be able to ship cheaply once I return to Canada) Since Evisu is my No1 priority, pickups will be a no-brainer... so long as I can find it.

For those in the Toronto area, I live in Whitby and come downtown occasionally. So a personal pick-up could be arranged

Ahlvahroe

i cant find anything so im hoping others can help but there are lots of city denim guides for tokyo but what about other cities.

i am going to go to fukuoka fairly soon and well first i know nothing about fukuoka, and second i would like to know where the 'denim district area' is.

after quite a few hours of walking around osaka i was able to find good areas but i have a lot less time when i go to fukuoka. so any help would be appreciated.

also if you have buying guides for cities other than tokyo feel free to post here

Scoon0224

I'm on my way to Tokyo next Thursday. Not a vacation, but I'll have some time to myself to peruse some denim shops.

Rt now on my list of places to go:

Evisu, Fab Four, Warehouse, and Pure Blue Japan (have they changed their relaxed cut?) and probably 45rpm too.

#1 on my list of personal pick-ups is a pair of Evisu's, handpainted. Had a black-arc pair of 2000's I got in Osaka a few years ago... sold em as I wound up not liking the fit. Getting 2001's or something else more relaxed this time around.

Any other recommendations? Indigofans Osaka maps were essential to my enjoyment of Osaka. I was nerding out... but only had enough cash for those No1's that I wound up not even keeping, ouch... passed on too many things. But what of the things not included on his map? And where IS the Evisu store where I can actually get handpainted No1's? (not on Indigofans map! but its supposed to be close to Ebisu station...)

I'm also willing to make some pickups while I'm there (probably most convenient for North Americans, as I'll be able to ship cheaply once I return to Canada) Since Evisu is my No1 priority, pickups will be a no-brainer... so long as I can find it.

For those in the Toronto area, I live in Whitby and come downtown occasionally. So a personal pick-up could be arranged

I might be going to Tokyo this year also, found this thread to be very helpful.

http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk/showthread.php?t=25544

Hi beatle, if you are still in Osaka, the Evisu main store is very near to Ebisu station. Try to locate the big crab on the building, the street have many eateries and there is a Starbucks there. Evisu Osaka main store is just there. The "Big Crab" should help you to locate the store easily.

And if you are looking for apc, sda, denime and the real macoy, you have to go to Orange Street and explore the area. Real Macoy is located underground...

And for PBJ, you have to go to Shinsaibashi. There is a shopping mall located near to Macdonald that have shops like United Arrows, Rag Tag and a Denime Laboratory located B1 of the shopping mall. They have quite a few denim brands there but i have forgotten the rest. Full Count is near there too just ask around... hope that helps.

^ thanks alot man, but unfortunately i dont read japanese.

but also is it near like a huge amount of other stores. while i do want to check out the nylon/real mccoy stuff. i also want to check out other brands as well (not well known as well as 'mainstream' brands like edwin)

and yeah that orange street in osaka is a great place to look. (i was there like a year and a half ago, great stuff)

[edit]

oh i just checked google translate, and most of the other spots seem to be near this store (which makes sense) now i just need to figure out how to get there, but i think ill have time for that later.

• 1 month later...
Hi beatle, if you are still in Osaka, the Evisu main store is very near to Ebisu station. Try to locate the big crab on the building, the street have many eateries and there is a Starbucks there. Evisu Osaka main store is just there. The "Big Crab" should help you to locate the store easily.

And if you are looking for apc, sda, denime and the real macoy, you have to go to Orange Street and explore the area. Real Macoy is located underground...

And for PBJ, you have to go to Shinsaibashi. There is a shopping mall located near to Macdonald that have shops like United Arrows, Rag Tag and a Denime Laboratory located B1 of the shopping mall. They have quite a few denim brands there but i have forgotten the rest. Full Count is near there too just ask around... hope that helps.

Thanks for all of this information. Is there an Ebisu area in Tokyo AND Osaka? I ask because my Tokyo Guide book (Lonely Planet) says that there is an Evisu tailor store in the Ebisu area of Tokyo.

I'm in Kyoto right now and going to Osaka should not be a problem. Would it be better to go to the Evisu store there or hold off for the Tokyo store?

Thanks.

Remedial, there is also an Evisu store in Kyoto. It's on Kiyamachi street (the bar street) which runs parallel to Kawaramachi street.

Other denim stores in Kyoto:

There's a Denime store and a store that sells Momotaro Jeans quite close to each other in the shopping area enclosed by Shijo, Kawaramachi, Sanjo and Karasuma. As said the Evisu store is on Kiyamachi street. Teramachi street has the Levi's store with Japanese LVC and such, and across from the Levi's store is Loft/Loftman which stocks Warehouse, among other more unknown but quite nice Japanese brands. Also on Teramachi street is a store that stocks Samurai, it's at the beginning of the street at the shijo end (can't recall the name off the top of my head). There's 2 more stores that allegedly are worth visiting (one stocks Eternal, Flat Head, Full Count etc) but they're both a bit off the beaten path and not very easy for tourists to get to. I think one was called Porky's, which also does an inhouse denim line (for more info see the unknown Japanese brands topic). When I'm in Kyoto again this christmas I'll get a more comprehensive list with address and names though.

Now as for my question, where can I get some nice selvedge denim? Ideally I'm looking for 1-2 meters, just for some personal projects. I recall seeing a picture of the Momotaro store selling denim by the meter, is that correct? Or any other place where I can pick some up? I'd order on Ebay but a meter of Cone selvedge would run me 35 euro including shipping, due to ridiculous high shipping to Europe so I was hoping to pick some up in Japan this time around. Any tips/suggestions are highly appreciated!

Haha happy to oblige aho, got a little natsukashii myself thinking of/writing all the shops. Didn't know about the 45rpm store (not really interested in the brand though but I'll have a look inside next time I'm around). Maybe I'll make a little Google maps thingie next time, since most shops in Kyoto are rather hidden and hard to find.

Good tip ah_long, sounds like that's exactly what I need. Just the Edwin store in Harajuku or somewhere else?

• 1 year later...

ok guys, heading to tokyo from 3-18 april and need a guide for all the stores (eternal, sda, sugarcane, denime, samurai etc) as well as vintage shops or flea markets that are worth looking at.

even better, would love to meet up with any Tokyo denimheads to hang out and talk shop. pm me if you're interested for a meet-up :)

• 4 years later...

Since I'm going to Japan (both Tokyo and Kansai) in a week it is time to bump this one. 

I've already started marking down a couple of stores on Google maps but I figured a little extra help doesn't hurt.

What stores should I visit? Brand related, vintage or second hand is all of interest. Hit me with your best shots!

Berberjin, Fake Alpha, Palms Vintage (shizuoka though), Jantiques, and Marvins are all MUSTS for vintage

Aside from that, I enjoyed Desolation Row, Full Count, all of the stores around Hinoya, and RMC. Really, it just depends what brands you like and you'll be blown away no matter what!

Let me know if you find any gems, I'll be there myself at the beginning of September!

Edited by aho

I like America-ya in Ueno probably more than Hinoya. It's a pretty big complex of stores that seems to keep going and going. The Hinoya people also operate a store called Sun House that has branches in Ueno and Shibuya. It's the same basic concept as Hinoya but with a somewhat more diverse brand selection. Daikanyama has a few interesting places like ues and dry bones. I haven't been, but Pure Blue Japan is fairly close to Harajuku. Osaka also has a hinoya branch I guess, plus the samurai store. If you make it out to Kyoto Porky's is pretty good too.

If you're into real vintage, Nagoya (where I am) has a selection that can't be beat in my opinion. The Osu area probably has a hundred or so vintage shops, plus a good number of really good denim shops. If you've got a JR pass and a bit of time it's well worth stopping off, as it's nowhere near as picked over as Tokyo and Osaka.