Us Versus Demon Slayer shirt + art show

Im not necessarily posting this shirt up here to hype it up online cuz we dont have a webstore. I just wanted to give some people who are in our area a heads up as to what were doing. The art show was set up first and the shirt was something that came about after i saw the back of the flyer that Dan did. i do like hearing peoples opinions, so feel free to comment...if youre just going to bash tho, please try to have some sort of intelligent reason for doing so.. anyways- For our next art show we designed a tshirt with Demon Slayer (Dan Nguyen and Mailan Pham) and are also making prints. So you know how much effort we are putting into these shirts- the shirts started off as white blanks, i personally detagged them (became pro overnight!) were hand dyed by Dan, then were hand screenprinted with a waterbased tint ink for the allover print, then we are doing a 2 color plastisol hit down in the bottom corner. All production is being done in-house. Finally we are getting the back of the shirt below the collar embroidered with US VERSUS DEMON SLAYER in a dope script (us versus them is our clothing line btw). Only reason i dont have pics of the finished shirt to post is they are waiting to be embroidered, and im kind of lazy so i havent uploaded any pics yet. We're releasing 30 the night of the event, and in the subsequent month the remaining amount of the full 75 shirts will be sold. With the amount of work we're putting into the shirts we could charge well over 80 bucks for the shirt if we were trying to sell at some bougie store in LA but we are only going to sell it for 40 cuz we'd rather see our friends wearing the shirts rather than some dude wearing studded jeans. Anyways, too much build up, not enough finish. The image was an illustrator mockup. the teal will not be that bright...it will look lighter and there is multiple colors, green, purple, tan, grey, etc. The mace print will always be a darker shade of the shirt color.

141321856.jpg

demon slayer front.jpg

demon slayer back.jpg

I like the maces.. i wasnt really feeling the art. Its like a little messy mash up of some sort.

The maces could survive on their own and so could the corner art but together it kinda OD's. (just my opinion) But im sure they will sell good $40 for that kinda of print and detail is a bargin.

^ yeah i know kids would probably jump on it if it was just the print by itself, but there is just too many tees out there with just a pattern printed all over...IMO. point of the matter, dan made the flyer first, i saw it, liked it and wanted to make it into a shirt. really no other thought process involved. we didnt sit around and think...hmmm what would kids flip over? you know what i mean?

good to see your not just out looking to score on the latest all over print trend, although this shirt certainly does that...its one of the best ive seen yet. maybe tone down the print a bit, a single color would make it a little less busy but still show you can do more than the same all over print that everyone is doing. hreat idea though ,and i think even as is, its killer.

BALDERDASH.

the print is just one color. when i was referring to the colors i was talking about the dyed blank shirts. those are the colors that they are dyed....but not tiedye style, just one color per shirt. the allover print is done with a translucent waterbased ink so it just darkens the existing color of the shirt where the pattern is printed. believe me im not trying to make a bapeish shirt here. haha if you meant something else, let me know so i can understand what you meant. thanks for the compliments tho.

^actually i meant the large screenprint on the bottom. the all over print is completely perfect, and the translucent ink idea is great...im always afraid to wash my shirts in fear that the print will crack or peel. but a little less going on down the bottom and itll be perfect. maybe instead of usuing the white or black, leave it blank and let the shirt show through. just an idea, great work man.

BALDERDASH.

Edited by 350poundhotcakes on May 7, 2006 at 01:48 PM

well the pic above is a bit off in terms of sizing. the plastisol hit is going to be 8 x 8 inches roughly, so it will not take up half the shirt, rather on a medium it will take up a third, a large a quarter, and so on. thanks for the input, im gonna stick to how i have it tho, only cuz i think if i left the white out and left only the outline it would be too murky and to me the focal point of the shirt is the drawing, leaving the print to be the background. that isnt what alot of people are used to but i have to follow my vision haha.

"well id assume its for the fabric and hes cutting and sewing the shirts. if not then theres no reason to have a screen that big."

not so. the screen is 4 ft. wide, and 3 ft high. measure an xl or xxl blank from tip of the sleeves. an xl when stretched to accomidate printing, is 40 inches accross. the height is around 30 inches. we arent making the blanks, just printing the whole front and the whole back at once. no smaller screens and multiple hits. just one big squeeege and its off to drying. Foney knows whats up.

Quote:

"well id assume its for the fabric and hes cutting and sewing the shirts. if not then theres no reason to have a screen that big."

not so. the screen is 4 ft. wide, and 3 ft high. measure an xl or xxl blank from tip of the sleeves. an xl when stretched to accomidate printing, is 40 inches accross. the height is around 30 inches. we arent making the blanks, just printing the whole front and the whole back at once. no smaller screens and multiple hits. just one big squeeege and its off to drying. Foney knows whats up.

--- Original message by UsVersusThem on May 9, 2006 02:12 PM

i guess i overestimated the size. looks a lot bigger than an xl tee size to me.

"HOW WOULD YOU GO ABOUT DOING THE PRINT?"

like i said before, you lay the shirt out and print it. literally laying the shirts out, laying the screen on top, securing it down and running the squeegee over it. Its that simple. after the print dries, the girls are getting printed with seperate screens.

usually when companies get fabric printed (at least on a semi pro level) they will print the fabric with a belt or cylinder press in long rolls like they do for wallpaper. but yeah, if we were going to print fabric we'd do it bigger than that...it woudnt be time effective.

Quote:

usually when companies get fabric printed (at least on a semi pro level) they will print the fabric with a belt or cylinder press in long rolls like they do for wallpaper. but yeah, if we were going to print fabric we'd do it bigger than that...it woudnt be time effective.

--- Original message by UsVersusThem on May 10, 2006 02:03 PM

word. i guess im underestimating the size of shirts.

i was gonna say.. burning something like that in the sun would be so unpredictable.

i've been having a hell of a time finding a flash or UV unit or a reliable DIY setup to pull off a screen that big for allover prints, but even the screen shops here don't have anything that big.