Anyone have the Buzz Rickson Pattern Recognition MA-1?

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might find someone on http://cornellsurgery.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/index.php

that has one...although most of them are into vintage jackets or replicas.

Another thought....Have you seen the Replica Series by Alpha? There is a seller on ebay that has some old stock Alpha that is pretty nice. I got one of his B15 Replicas and I am really happy with the jacket. I think at the time they were made they were valued at more than the Buzz Ricksons according to a flight jacket value book put out in Japan. There is a good thread on them here:

http://cornellsurgery.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=982&start=0

The Buzz jackets are sweet but hard for me to justify the cost compared to the Alpha Replica Series.

Here is a link to the ebay seller and a Replica series jacket

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alpha-B15-Replica-Green-Modified-Flight-Jacket-Size-36_W0QQitemZ8366352733QQcategoryZ57988QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The 36 would probably fit more like a 38 or small 40. The B15 was the jacket that came before the MA-1.

thanks for the effort blackgrass. i've seen that seller's stuff before----didn't know anything about the replica series. i had a contemporary alpha parka that fell apart in a week and was surprised that the brand came so highly recommended. the replica series seems to be worth further investigation.

haven't registered for that cornell surgery yet, but will do right after i hit POST.

good looking.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wow. registering for that site was scary-----long delay before they send you authorization. must do a background check and check your references!!!

those guys are mad knowledgeable about military jacket repros.

Edited by denimdestroyedmylife on May 6, 2006 at 06:48 AM

I shamefully burnt a huge hole in my credit card to get an MA-1 from Rickson's just after christmas. The quality and feel of the thing is right up there. All the little things are in place- zip tags, brass pen tops on arm pocket, pocket lining. <u>http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/detailpop.php?uniqnum=59</u>

A premium was also paid because it came to the UK through History Preservation. Plus 'Her Majesty's' custom and excise felt the need to scam money off me for it.

*sigh*

But its here and I wear it. No pics at the moment because my camera battery is dead.

As for sizing, I am 5ft 8ish with 38 inch chest. After speaking to Charles at HP I ordered the jacket in a 40 long. This gave the sleeve a length that allowed the woolen cuff to fall across my hand rather than stop at my wrist. Glad it does too, because the cuffs ride up. This means the nylon arms stop at my wrist and not 3 inches above them as they might if I ordered a 'more fitted' 38!!

...and to think I actually used to iron denim.

Edited by punyfig on May 6, 2006 at 07:41 AM

Here are some picture of the jacket as requested!

br1.jpg

So this is the Rickson's MA-1 Size 40 long.

bitsnbobs.jpg

Thisis some ofthe labelling and booklets they supply. They include care instructions, authenticity labels and a small book detailing William Gibson's Pattern Recognition. All in Japanese.

label.jpg

The jacket label inside under the collar

cuffandunderarmclip.jpg

Cuff detail lined up just below the under arm cable clip thing

insidepocketandmainzip.jpg

This is the main zip on the front lined up with the inside pocket. The material patch on the right of the picture is a palce to fasten your oxygen mask I believe.

mainzipper.jpg

This is the main zipper. Reproduction enabled 10 years ago by Toyo-enterprises sinking $250k into machines to reproduce them correctly (Though I could've sourced that wrong).

leftarmpocket.jpg

The left arm pocket with the brass pen top guards hidden out of view in the pen holder sleeves.

Quote:

How much was it?

I guess it's going to fit fairly "puffy" no matter what, huh?

--- Original message by minya on May 7, 2006 06:22 PM

the link he posted said $470

worth every penny in my opinion. really nice, classic, clean looking jacket

The sizing would be interesting to check out. The fit of the jacket is comfortable but a size smaller might (for me) not be enough in terms of arm length. As for the padding and general bulk of the jacket, its heavy. I only remember 'bomber jackets' from UK street markets and chain stores. The kind that are loose, light olive green and have a dodgy polyester filling that comes out when you tear the jacket falling off your bike... This thing has the full inner lining and is very very warm hence the mass.

Not designed for summer. ;o)

military clothing is traditionally very fitted. the arms on your jacket are too long for a true military fit -- that's why the elastic tunnels into the sleeve -- and, judging by how the front of your jacket bunches together, your jacket is probably about 4 inches too big in the chest. if your chest measures 38, the jacket itslf should be no bigger than 40 inches around. looks like your jacket is at least 44 inches, if not 46 inches.

that said, if you prefer a loose fitting jacket go for it. most people don't wear military jackets as they were intended. but traditionally they are supposed to be very fitted.

WoW! This site is always a mine of information! Just measured the outside circumference of the jacket zipped up. 41.5-42 inches. Maybe I'm smaller than I thought! I did go through all the measurements with Charles at HP when I bought the MA-1 too.

Explains the whole wrist/cuff thing too.

Quote:

military clothing is traditionally very fitted. the arms on your jacket are too long for a true military fit -- that's why the elastic tunnels into the sleeve -- and, judging by how the front of your jacket bunches together, your jacket is probably about 4 inches too big in the chest. if your chest measures 38, the jacket itslf should be no bigger than 40 inches around. looks like your jacket is at least 44 inches, if not 46 inches.

that said, if you prefer a loose fitting jacket go for it. most people don't wear military jackets as they were intended. but traditionally they are supposed to be very fitted.

--- Original message by levistrauss on May 8, 2006 07:28 AM

Can you post some pictures of an MA-1 being worn fitted? I'd love to have a fitted jacket like that.

Quote:

WoW! This site is always a mine of information! Just measured the outside circumference of the jacket zipped up. 41.5-42 inches. Maybe I'm smaller than I thought! I did go through all the measurements with Charles at HP when I bought the MA-1 too.

Explains the whole wrist/cuff thing too.

--- Original message by punyfig on May 8, 2006 07:43 AM

Charles at HP is notorious for making suggestions to size up a la the Sugar Cane thread. I'd like to see this dude in person. Either he dresses like Jay-Z or he's built like Bibendum.

Using chain stitch, your train of jeans is fading wind.

i bought a couple of sweatshirts from History Preservation. My chest measures 44 inches, so I was a bit hesitant to buy a large since the site said they would only fit up to a 42 chest. When I got them, they measured about 48 inches across, and would easily fit someone with a 46 chest.

They're roomy and I wear them all the time. Fit great, but I think they'd be too loose on someone with a 42 chest (as HP recommends).

Nowadays, my rule of thumb is to size down. then, if it's too small, mail it back and get the next bigger size. Lately I've been buying size 40 since that means a size 46 chest for a lot of manufacturers.

this may be a tangent. but if you like 1940's-50s jackets these are pretty ill.

EBBETs

Quote: Our authentic American-made vintage baseball jackets represent the revival of craft in jacket-making. Although they may seem to superficially resemble modern award or school jackets, there are some key distinctions.

First, only the finest wool melton is used. We use no recycled fibers. Second, the leather we select is “naked†– that means it is naturally tanned instead of chemically treated. The texture is soft and supple. Our jackets are cut a little long in the waist, which is the true historic baseball style.

As in our flannels, decorations are what the team actually wore on the field – no more and no less – and vintage treatments include wool felt and chenille. Snaps, buttons or zippers match the original closures. Lining is rayon, and has inner “checkbook†pocket. Each jacket is hand-crafted, and made for a lifetime of wear.

http://www.ebbets.com/ebbets_flannel_browse.aspx

1946 Cleveland Buckeyes Jacket

cle46j.jpg

1955 San Francisco Seals Jacket

SFS55J.jpg

1935 Tokyo Kyojin (Giants) Jacket

tok35j.jpg

1943 Kansas City Monarchs Jacket

kcm43j.jpg

i just bought one and received it late last week.

it's beautiful. i got it in my size, which actually makes it a little large but i don't mind (in fact i quite like the look).

the weight and feel of the jacket is fantastic (it's heavier than i thought it'd be).

the weather in detroit's been less than stellar lately, so i've had many an excuse to wear it out.

Quote:

I shamefully burnt a huge hole in my credit card to get an MA-1 from Rickson's just after christmas. The quality and feel of the thing is right up there. All the little things are in place- zip tags, brass pen tops on arm pocket, pocket lining. <u>http://historypreservation.com/hpassociates/detailpop.php?uniqnum=59</u>

A premium was also paid because it came to the UK through History Preservation. Plus 'Her Majesty's' custom and excise felt the need to scam money off me for it.

*sigh*

But its here and I wear it. No pics at the moment because my camera battery is dead.

As for sizing, I am 5ft 8ish with 38 inch chest. After speaking to Charles at HP I ordered the jacket in a 40 long. This gave the sleeve a length that allowed the woolen cuff to fall across my hand rather than stop at my wrist. Glad it does too, because the cuffs ride up. This means the nylon arms stop at my wrist and not 3 inches above them as they might if I ordered a 'more fitted' 38!!

--- Original message by punyfig on May 6, 2006 07:35 AM

Thanks for the pics! That jacket is ill.

If you really want to be true to the spirit of Pattern Recognition, though, you are supposed to burn the hole in the jacket, not in your credit card. icon_smile_wink.gif

ask a cassowary

...and patch it with duct tape. Grind down the buttons on my 501s too. Though if the character goes to that extreme to get an MA-1, why not go to the same extreme for denim? (Asking a bit much of Gibson there)

Geek boy here ground the buttons off a pair of Uniqlos. Looks OK, but I've always dug unbranded stuff. Now I've just gotta start wearing them.

I want one of those jackets - not cos I'm buying into the Gibson book, as cool a story as it was - but because they're fantastic pieces. Implicit. Where did you pick yours up from? PM me with the details? Cheers.

• 2 months later...
Will be ordering this on MONDAY and then NO MORE SHOPPING IN 2006!!!

Also, I need a bit of advice. I'm a 37" chest, but these jackets seem to run a bit large, so I should order a 36 Long (i'm 6'0"), yeah?

TIA

Excellent choice sir! As for sizing... Hmm, Im a 38 wearing a 40. Maybe go with how it 'should' be sized and use back length and arm length to help guide you? Just thinking that the chest measurement alone might not be enough to swing the decision.

I may be the only one still thinking about this in the dog days of summer, but this thread on a WILLIAM GIBSON BOARD is fascinating as it predates and coincides with the release of the BUZZ RICKSON PATTERN RECOGNITION MA-1. A thrilling read for anyone still obsessing over this jacket. Interesting that it is sold out everywhere but HIS/PRES. Will be ordering this on MONDAY and then NO MORE SHOPPING IN 2006!!!

Also, I need a bit of advice. I'm a 37" chest, but these jackets seem to run a bit large, so I should order a 36 Long (i'm 6'0"), yeah?

TIA

it runs large, so if you want a more fitted, er, fit, go with the 36 long.

• 2 months later...

What's the price on the black MA-1 direct from Japan? And can one get the size 46? I'm loath to pay HP's premium (and shipping to Asia, anyway).

You going for 36 :eek: ?

Even I (170cm - 5' 6") am thinking about getting 36 (Small).

Please make sure before you order.

N.

P.S. I recently bought two Buzz's sweatshirts from Japan.

I'm glad I went for medium-sized ones. They're smaller than I expected.

If I had bought small-sized ones, I would have had to face the palaver

to exchange them.......

You going for 36 :eek: ?

Even I (170cm - 5' 6") am thinking about getting 36 (Small).

Please make sure before you order.

N.

P.S. I recently bought two Buzz's sweatshirts from Japan.

I'm glad I went for medium-sized ones. They're smaller than I expected.

If I had bought small-sized ones, I would have had to face the palaver

to exchange them.......

naoto - could you post pics of the buzz sweatshirts either here or in another thread -- very curious about the set-in sleeve sweats...

also, anyone have the wm gibson N-1 deck jacket? also considering...

diddy - what jacket did you get instead?