Levi's Made & Crafted

Paul T

Great job, PaulT. Appreciate all the pics and inside info.

I wasn't too keen on M&C after seeing their jeans at Barney's here in NYC. But my perception has totally changed after seeing this thread. That waistcoat and chinos are simply sublime.

Here's to Levi's not F-ing it up wih XX. *knock*on*wood*

Great job, PaulT. Appreciate all the pics and inside info.

I wasn't too keen on M&C after seeing their jeans at Barney's here in NYC. But my perception has totally changed after seeing this thread. That waistcoat and chinos are simply sublime.

Here's to Levi's not F-ing it up wih XX. *knock*on*wood*

I had exactly the same feeling seeing the jeans at Barney's COOP, they looked aimed at the Hollywood target group which is very different from the rest of the range.

I didn't have time to look at the jeans for more than a couple of seconds; there is perhaps a vaguely preppy vibe to them - very different from your traditional 5-pocket jean, which I guess is LVC's province.

What I did see was far more interesting than on-line items I've come across; subtle fabrics, but they didn't catch my eye in the same way, say, the chinos did.

I noted this nice selvage twill:

moreselvagetwill.jpg

But whether or not you like the cuts, my thoughts were that the denim itself - the fabrics - mostly looked great. But not gnarly. In a way, the Chinos exemplify this - up close, the denim looks rather ordinary. But look at this shot from a couple of feet away. You can hardly see the twill line at all - instead, there's this subtle cross hatching (I had to lower the sharpening below what I'd normally use to avoid it looking exaggerated). So the differences don't shout out.

morechinos.jpg

One detail I should have mentioned is how that 'V' section you can see inside the pants, the open back centre seam, comes from the Spring bottom, and is an old tailoring feature - it allows a tailor to adjust the waist, or the seat, independently of each other, so you can effectively reshape the whole top block. I don't know if it's anything the mass market will want to do, but I can see a few SuFu geeks having fun with their sewing machines.

• 4 weeks later...

Couple more shots of the Chinos. I did see more interesting stuff today when I dropped briefly into the showroom, but I have to wait for an official walk-thru on them, maybe early in the New Year.

I corrected the white balance, but something's funny with my imageshack load. COlour is much more accurate in the earlier batch of photos. (London is dark and foggy today)

chinosfront.jpg

chinofront.jpg

chinosback.jpg

chinosbum.jpg

• 1 month later...

This is my favorite page on the site...

http://levismadeandcrafted.com/stockists

I hope this hasn't been posted on the last few pages, but I noticed that Levi's Made & Crafted now has its own website:

http://levismadeandcrafted.com/

(Rather 'minimalistic' I must say

edit: I see, you just have to dig a bit deeper and you'll find t least some information on a few items.)

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a pair of M&C black, L09 tapereds for $69 from Bloomingdales, as I needed a pair of black, less-fading denims to interchange with dressier trousers at evening events in overly-casual LA. They were cheap and the fit is about as perfect as any is in any brand; US or JP. Highish rise (albeit w/ a too short zipper), trim but full leg thru the knee, and a SHARP taper from the calf down:

LEVI-MJ11_V1.jpg

The pre-whiskering varies from pair to pair, it seems, and I was certain to get a pair where it was minimal. The black color actually seems to be overdyed over a blue denim. I expect they're made in the same Turkish factory as rinsed and distressed LVC's, from denim just as good, so I won't begrudge them quality. I'd have never bought them for even %30 off, but I'm surprisingly pleased for how cheaply I did. Rancor welcomed, of course.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw something about the next FW collection at the last Bread and Butter in Berlin,and it seems to be the most interesting product made by Levi's in the last years!

Top quality and top design, very clean, insipired to the old working goods restyled with a modern cut.

Up thupbs for Maurizio Donadi and his guys!

what you think about Made&Crafted???

• 3 years later...

So Vente Privee had a Levi's Made & Crafted sale last week and I got a couple T-Shirts and two shirts. While the shirts do seem slightly above normal Levi's quality, the t-shirt fabric seems overly thin. If I had paid the full price for those t-shirts I'd be pretty upset, but for €15 a piece it's ok. But my question is, is the whole Made & Crafted collection still made with those insane design and quality thoughts in mind, or is it just another cashcow for Levi's to rake in the $$$?

Since both M&C and LVC are available through the normal Levi's webshop now, and production for LVC has been shifted to China for some pieces - is there any real quality left at Levi's?

is there any real quality left at Levi's?

Eh, some items are nice and some are absolute junk.  All are wildly over priced (especially the LVC jeans).  I wouldn't touch either line unless 50 to 70% off, and even then you might be getting a turd.  Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed, right?      

Eh, some items are nice and some are absolute junk.  All are wildly over priced (especially the LVC jeans).  I wouldn't touch either line unless 50 to 70% off, and even then you might be getting a turd.  Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed, right?

Right, that's how I treat Levi's anyways. Normal red or white tab shirts for example are decent enough if you snag them up on eBay or on sale.

I just found this thread today and wondered if the praise applies to all of made & crafted - but yeah, why even expect that considering LVC...