married to the mob

NYCtalk

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im definitly not feeling these designs, either way it doesent matter i dont wear womens tees, however the topics and shirts are really laim. They seem as if there the same girls who would design a shirt that says "von biatch". I dont understand that supreme biatch shirt either? its not made by supreme, might as well put it on ebay, seems kinda bootleg! icon_smile_tongue.gif im all for women making money and supplying heat, but bring something that has appeal to everyone!

goon - A thug hired to intimidate or harm opponents

Quote:

Wow lots of women hating going on here. Y'all are using a magnifying glass to find a flaw them. I like the fact that this is a women made line. I also like the humor. It's only a t shirt.

--- Original message by corrosion o conformity on Jan 10, 2005 01:16 PM

Is it so impossible for people to be able to base their opinons on simply the strength of the work? Why is everyone so quick to flip the word "hater" or "sexist" out on someone when they say "I don't like it" and then back it up with legit argument as to why?

This really just a general statement, since it happens a lot and not meant solely for the above quote.

Quote: Wow lots of women hating going on here. Y'all are using a magnifying glass to find a flaw them. I like the fact that this is a women made line. I also like the humor. It's only a t shirt.

There may be an element of hating to the "they're only getting recognition because they're hot" point of view, but I don't see how holding a group of female designers to the same standards as their male counterparts is a problem. It may be tougher for women to break into this particular niche of the clothing market, but that shouldn't mean they can get away with putting out tired product.

Edited by Yakboy Equals Nurturer on Jan 10, 2005 at 02:10 PM

Quote:

Wow lots of women hating going on here. Y'all are using a magnifying glass to find a flaw them. I like the fact that this is a women made line. I also like the humor. It's only a t shirt.

--- Original message by corrosion o conformity on Jan 10, 2005 01:16 PM

what i said about the line has ZERO to do with 'women (sic) hating' in fact, if anything i'm being merciful. if these were DUDES who came from the same clique as the other mainstay designers we've spoken of in this thread (mostly male), and came with shirt designs like these, then that entire label/line would, without question, have the wackest approach and feel to them, can anyone deny that? further, it's not 'hating' at all, a term that is inherently overused. to say i think shit is wack doesn't mean i 'hate' it, nor am i 'hating on it'.

It's only a t-shirt? no. hanes 3-packs are 'only t-shirts' because it is serving the most basic function (comfort, warmth etc.) without any adulteration. when you're charging so much for shit because it's 'limited' (not because it's necessarily worth the money) then you at least owe it to the customer to come with something new and fresh. sure, opinions are all different and we're all allowed to feel whatever. but everyone in here knows, if they were going to be on the rack at some touristy spot on St. Marks, no one would care...it's the fact that we have come to know and expect a certain something from the designers/labels we know.

usually, outgrowths or extended fam of those designers often do come with ill shit. so is it so wrong to say "this shit is simply NOT ill" ??? of course not. it's not hating, if i actively 'hated' it i wouldn't be writing about it at all (it's the same phenomenon of music critics, when they have a 2 page story on how disappointing an album is...if it was that bad it wouldn't have made the editor's cut! but they're complaining usually, that it COULD be better, that's it.)

this little collective of ny designers has acheived the notoriety and cult following because not only does it have worldwide appeal to different people in different scenes, but no matter how original or bitten it is, the final execution has always been tight. if it hadn't been, ssur and supreme cats etc. wouldn't be able to eat off of it---but they do. all i'm saying is that i expect a certain caliber, and i don't see it here.

Quote: to say i think shit is wack doesn't mean i 'hate' it, nor am i 'hating on it'.

you reciting common now.

But it is true, disliking something nowadays means "hating" and thats just lame. I think everyone here applauds that fact that girls are trying to get involved in a male-dominated market/scene, however, being female they should definately be held to the same standards as everyone else (I believe someone else said this above). The designs are very sub-par and boring. I see them more at urban outfitters or even hot topic (dare I say) that union and ssur.

However, Im anxious to see there newer stuff, I'm sure everyone on here who designs has put out wack shit. So best of luck to them.

Quote: Don't buy it then. I thought people were hating because they were taking the time to write elaborate dissertations explaining the faults of the line. Supreme, ssur, Recon, Irak, Nom De Guerre et al have all produced or sold bullshit designs; in comparison I find MTTM no worse. Grow up fellas.

I thought the point of this board was to promote discussion, positive or negative. Most people on here have specific tastes and enjoy design/art to some extent, which is exactly why we critique. I'd be willing to bet that those designs would be critiqued the same way if supreme, stussy, abercrombie and fitch, maharishi or even prada put them out.

Quote:

Don't buy it then. I thought people were hating because they were taking the time to write elaborate dissertations explaining the faults of the line. Supreme, ssur, Recon, Irak, Nom De Guerre et al have all produced or sold bullshit designs; in comparison I find MTTM no worse. Grow up fellas.

--- Original message by corrosion o conformity on Jan 10, 2005 05:29 PM

so because i take some time to DISCUSS something at length, be it the good or bad aspects of a brand for example, it means i'm hating?

If what you say is true, and all of those lines have put out shit, and anyone ever called them on it, that would be hating? No way. I once told russ flat out that i didn't like some of the new (at the time) stuff, and he was like word, i appreciate it. (it was some bad lieutenant thing, circa 2002). see it's good for these people to know that it's not just a one-way street, i.e. i make product, you consume product (without question!). as purchasers of what they produce, it is our privilege...nay, it is our DUTY to say nah fuk dat. that's all i'm doing. once someone like myself voices his or her opinion, then it's on them, deciding whether to keep rocking that style or change it up.

feedback is one of the most sought after marketing tools, and they can get it here for free. what you're saying is the only way i get the right to diss(ent) on them is to buy first. ("Don't buy it then") well if i had a less discerning taste (like you) i might buy it. but i don't.

~multiflavored RodLavers~

Look I feel like everyone can have there own opinion on what they like and dislike. But for me as a woman the mttm line rocks all my t-shirts. They are sexy plus cute. Most of you guys have such a strong opinion about ladies tees its pretty suprising. But for real most of you just seem angry this line is doing so well. P.S. Just to let you know these shirts are flying off the shelves. When i went to supreme they were completly out.

thank you wild whisky! jeez.

and btw, i don't think anyone is actively pissed if it's doing well, as most heads on this site knew it would. it's just a funny, predictable (if not sad) trend and we're calling it out on such grounds.

women's tees by women design teams should come just as correct as men in the same scene, doing the same thing. that's the bottom line...irrespective of gender, if you come with wack shit, you're gonna catch heat.

'Supreme Bitch'...ooh! you're a bitch! AND you're down with the Supreme camp?!?!? holy fuck, you just went from skanky downtown groupie to irresistable runway model! how can i be down?

i would never hate on ladies for blessing other ladies (whether you're foyne or not) with ill gear. props to all who come with stuff, and that includes MTTM. props to you, MTTM!...not for coming with dope shit (sorry) but because you just nailed a niche that will be yours for about 4 months and you're capitalizing on the connections you have, the people you know, and the nyc sensibility to make it all come together for people to enjoy.

JUST REMEMBER, PEOPLE...JUST BECAUSE YOU DON'T LIKE SOMETHING DOESN'T MAKE YOU SEXIST OR A HATER.

~multiflavored RodLavers~

Holy Shit you men are so fucking funny. All this shit you are talking about is completly personal. All you must know the girls behind mttm and be hatin on them for obviously reason beyond the desighns of the shirts. And I will tell you I am no freakin brooklyn guidette rocking this tee. C'mon boys take it from a lady these shirts are down. Can't wait for Mttm's next season.

It doesn't matter these girls are out there doing there thing, creating some heat - having fun and making money while exploiting their lifestyle - good for them! and for all the men who dont like their stuff - well guess what you aren't even going to wear it so DO NOT COMPLAIN! Shhhh ... I do not want to hear it! I don't hear dudes commenting on the lastest Chloe line or whatever - oh that is horrible blah blah blah - it isn't about you - has nothing to do with you - and I also feel like these ladies are getting a bad wrap because they are ladies .... as for them not knowing who Barbara Kruger is - well no comment ... it isn't a big deal - you live and learn ...

I dunno, I've only seen those tees in union, and in my opinion that store sucks. It's like a hipster supply shop with lame tees. I returned a pair of rogans there almost two years ago and got store credit. To give you an idea of how hard it is to find something good in that place, it took me till last thanksgiving to spend the 300 bucks. Of course they have some cool gdeh and neighborhood stuff and thats why I still frequent them, but besides that its the same old shit all the time. Overpriced tee shirts that u could buy at urban outfitters or Canal street.

As for the married to the mob, I only really saw the supreme bitch tee when I was in union in the fall. That design is especially lame cus its not a crossover with supreme. Anybody who pays attention to this scene knows that its about collaborations and community. Thats why supreme does crossovers with bape or larry clark etc. But this tee wasn;t a crossover, it was printed on a cheap white tee and lacked any real details that you find in the good brands. Plus, i'm not a sexist, I get excite dover innovation and creativity, this line shows neither. I'm just not impressed by t-shirts based on puns and visual ironies.

ALSO, IF IT GIVES ME ANYMORE CREDIBILITY, i WASNT EVEN AWARE UP UNTIL THIS POST THAT THE LABEL WAS OWNED BY WOMEN, I COMMENTED TO MY FREIND IN THE SHOP THAT IT WAS LAME THINKING IT WAS FOR GUYS.

You thought a shirt that said supreme bitch was for a guy!!! You fucking faggot ass. I'm sure the girls of MTTM would glady make one for you in a guys size. By the way Union is owned by the same owner as Supreme,,,you fucking moron. So of course he saw it and approved. The girls even said that in their rthq interview. Keep sweating bape and the obvious you corny upstate loser. "it's all about collaborations and community" you don't know shit you hick. I hate when people talk and don't even know what they are saying.

freekyyyy

getting tough on a message board...real cool man...The shirt wasn't a collaboration between supreme and MTTM, thats what I was trying to say....also, union usually stocks guys stuff, the shirt wasnt that big so i just assumed....didn;t really give it much thought.....and as far as you knowing shit...it seems that if you were in the "scene" you wouldnt be wasting your time on superfuture or rifttrooper....again, i offered an opinion and you didnt like it......Im not sure how im sweating bape in anyway or how i dont know what im talking about....all of the brands discussed on this messageboard are about collaborations....