Fashion Philosophy

jwsach

The purpose of this thread is to try to somehow make sense of fashion in a quantitative way. This will lead to a better understanding of fashion itself, and may be very insightful in many ways, in many areas of life.

Now, I understand that fashion cannot be ultimately right or wrong, and that personal style has a great number of influences such as region, time period, age, personality, culture, gender, and heritage among many other things. However, there is a way to analyze fashion just as music or art is. One can appreciate all kinds, but one still may have a favorite: why is that?

So, what do you prioritize when choosing clothing or a particular look regardless of general situation?

Is it:

- design ?

- exclusivity ?

- construction ?

- comfort ?

- fit ?

- uniqueness/ conformity ?

- fabric?

- origin/ brand ?

- heritage ?

- availability or lack of ?

- personality ?

- other ?????????

I understand that this much thought does not go into clothing by the general public, but it would be safe to say that superfuture generally puts a little more effort into our daily attire than most.

This thread may not totally make us understand why some people like supreme, dior, or brooks brothers, but it may refine our criticism and broaden our horizons. I have a feeling this thread is destined to fail, please prove me wrong.

Even though you're asking for how what we dress regardless of situation, I think that's a pretty big oversight. Environment (both cultural and physical) is the biggest determinant in how people dress and ignoring that would be a mistake.

I generally think of clothing as a mode of communication: what does will my outfit tell other people about me? How will other people interpret the relationship of signs made up by individual items as they're styled together? In this sense, I try to always "dress the part", I'm not going to be dressed the same for a night of barhopping as I am going to school.

As far as my tastes go, I favor simplicity. Fit and construction factor in the most, I'm not interested in crazy details or wearing something that I can be sure no one else will be wearing(although that does have appeal).

fit is sort of given as an important point, and beyond that i think of clothes the same way i think of all my consumer decisions: geopolitical

i don't mean political in the sense of conservative vs liberal, but more "who and what am i supporting when i buy this? where is this dollar going?"

supporting artisans also has the benefit of getting something that is relatively original, looks cool and is usually well-made, though at some point everyone is still using a sewing machine and cotton. and when looking at all these artisan brands, i find clothes that are streamlined and generic more appealing. its easier for me to put an outfit together and not think about it when the clothes have a more simple design.

Even though you're asking for how what we dress regardless of situation, I think that's a pretty big oversight. Environment (both cultural and physical) is the biggest determinant in how people dress and ignoring that would be a mistake.

I agree but I am not trying to be nitpicky about one specific event or the other, I am trying to see the large motivations that drive your clothing choice for every event and occasion, assuming that you choose clothing on the same criteria for almost every situation

I dunno, but fashion to me is just.. what it is. Fashion.

Shouldn't be taken too seriously, or else it just loses its point and becomes ridiculous and must i say, pretentious.

To me it should always be fun. If you're not having fun with it and not taking it too seriously then i wouldn't call it fashion (in my own sense) anymore.

Anyway, when i go shopping i just buy what i like really. I walk in the store, browse, and that's probably why im a quick shopper, some things just 'call' out to me. lol I think that's the nature of choosing really, in general, you buy what speaks to your soul hahaha

But yeah, i go for the idea. An idea/concept design i am specifically after, what i conjured in my brain wearing or something i see on the rack that interests me by someone else's brain. How i want to 'package' myself. It's all about that attitude you want to convey to people. Next is the fit, very important. but then again, you can alter everything.

Next will be the price- is it worth investing in? (Just because im not rich yet, so this is subject to change). Then everything else, quality, versatility, longeevity etc etc

I'll go as far as saying anyone who has a distinct "Fashion Philosophy" has no personal sense of style, and here's why.

A good costume designer (for a movie or a play) will create outfits for their characters that cater to their most strong and desirable Emotional and Physical characteristics. Which means that looking good is subjective depending on what person you're looking at.

That means that there is no such thing as a "Fashion Philosophy", you're clothing and attitude must reflect your Life Philosophy correctly.

</2 cents>

...A good costume designer (for a movie or a play) will create outfits for their characters that cater to their most strong and desirable Emotional and Physical characteristics....

...you're clothing and attitude must reflect your Life Philosophy correctly.

</2 cents>

sounds like the beginnings of a philosophy to me.... dressing around a certain physique or personality. I don't want to say theater and film clothing is fake, but it is not realistic to what most people wear everyday... certainly the designers on set have a personal style they dress to.

i just buy what i want and i wear what i want

ps don't ever call me mikey

who doesn't, what makes you want what you want?

The purpose of this thread is to try to somehow make sense of fashion in a quantitative way. This will lead to a better understanding of fashion itself, and may be very insightful in many ways, in many areas of life.

Now, I understand that fashion cannot be ultimately right or wrong, and that personal style has a great number of influences such as region, time period, age, personality, culture, gender, and heritage among many other things. However, there is a way to analyze fashion just as music or art is. One can appreciate all kinds, but one still may have a favorite: why is that?

So, what do you prioritize when choosing clothing or a particular look regardless of general situation?

Is it:

- design ?

- exclusivity ?

- construction ?

- comfort ?

- fit ?

- uniqueness/ conformity ?

- fabric?

- origin/ brand ?

- heritage ?

- availability or lack of ?

- personality ?

- other ?????????

I understand that this much thought does not go into clothing by the general public, but it would be safe to say that superfuture generally puts a little more effort into our daily attire than most.

This thread may not totally make us understand why some people like supreme, dior, or brooks brothers, but it may refine our criticism and broaden our horizons. I have a feeling this thread is destined to fail, please prove me wrong.

would u or somebody else post or link one of your (op of this thread's) fits?

would like to see that.