New denim brand: CHIMALA (formed by 45rpm splinter group)...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

they're at the odin store? gotta check them out......

--- Original message by mizanation on May 4, 2006 09:24 PM

yeah...at the new location on Lafayette...haven't been to the east vill one in a while...so don't know if they're at that one...

Quote:
Quote:

at 18000 yen, the pure blues are not too bad... if they are made from ex-45rpm people, then quality should be outstanding...

--- Original message by mizanation on May 1, 2006 08:41 AM

It's kind of the other way around. Pure Blue used to make jeans for 45rpm. Some seriously denimnerdy people I know, rate the quality higher than the current 45rpm jeans.

Anyway, take it from me, the denim used is top class.

BTW, they fit true to size. Relatively low rise (for a Japanese 'repro') and slim fitting. The natural indigo style fits a little tighter in the waist and rise, but the difference is pretty insignificant.

--- Original message by ringring on May 1, 2006 09:46 AM

hey man,

it's been awhile.

so pureblue is before spotted horse?

anything new?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

at 18000 yen, the pure blues are not too bad... if they are made from ex-45rpm people, then quality should be outstanding...

It's kind of the other way around. Pure Blue used to make jeans for 45rpm. Some seriously denimnerdy people I know, rate the quality higher than the current 45rpm jeans.

BTW, they fit true to size. Relatively low rise (for a Japanese 'repro') and slim fitting. The natural indigo style fits a little tighter in the waist and rise, but the difference is pretty insignificant.

hey man,

it's been awhile.

anything new?

--- Original message by urban sprawl on May 5, 2006 12:06 PM

Hey friend

Pure Blue are nice. They are probably not for everyone - the natural indigo one has denim so 'bobbly' it looks quite odd LOL. It just depends where your tastes lie.

New?

For some reason, I've been drifting towards lefties in recent months. eg.

Studio D'artisan's X's2-6 LH, grey weft, 13.5oz Wrangler 11MW style

SD XXX-26, their latest natural indigo LH 14.5oz zipper jeans

Samurai S0110XJ - 150z, LH Lee repro.

You?

Edited by ringring on May 6, 2006 at 01:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

hey man,

it's been awhile.

anything new?

Hey friend

Pure Blue are nice. They are probably not for everyone - the natural indigo one has denim so 'bobbly' it looks quite odd LOL. It just depends where your tastes lie.

New?

You?

--- Original message by ringring on May 6, 2006 01:42 AM

wow lefthands.

well i forced myself to chill and wear only my own stuff...hehe. gotta spread the love. obviously i'm not gonna tell you the brand;) but it's nice fabric: kuroki, collect (via amhot), nishinbo. all selvedge, all done in okayama.

but i got some 501XX ww2, a pair kuroki gave me, and kapital. not much is catching my eye and soul.

it's good seeing you're still running this site.

hit me up now and then...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

hey man,

it's been awhile.

anything new?

Hey friend

New?

You?

--- Original message by ringring on May 6, 2006 01:42 AM

wow lefthands.

well i forced myself to chill and wear only my own stuff...hehe. gotta spread the love. obviously i'm not gonna tell you the brand;) but it's nice fabric: kuroki, collect (via amhot), nishinbo. all selvedge, all done in okayama.

but i got some 501XX ww2, a pair kuroki gave me, and kapital. not much is catching my eye and soul.

it's good seeing you're still running this site.

hit me up now and then...

• 3 weeks later...

i saw some of this denim today (chimala) at ships. they had three- one one wash and two distressed. none were selvedge. they had some interesting details like a rainbow colored chainstitch on the inside of the waist band... surprised they weren't selvedge as they're a 45rpm splinter group.

• 2 months later...
Anyone seen or have insight into Chamala jeans (ringring' date=' I’m looking in your direction)?

I'm a newbie in the game so I was looking for an experienced eye to check them out.

Was just in Odin in nyc...salesperson showed me Chamala denim and told me they were a new label formed by former 45rpm people. They only had two models on hand: one was a loose fitting one-wash (selvedge) that was truly BEAUTIFUL; crumpled deep indigo with some tasteful distressing and simple stitching on back pockets. The jeans seemed very well made but I don't trust my own eye yet. I would have been all over it but I like a slimmer fit.

The other model was a slimmer cut black wash with some fading on the thighs. They didn't have my size but I didn't love the wash to begin with...the fading on the thighs was too contrasted from the rest of the leg and stopped abruptly above the knee...like two light pools in a sea of black. It looked very manufactured, like a Diesel wash or some such.

Salesperson said they're expecting another big shipment soon with more cuts/washes. If there's anyone in nyc who knows their shit...check out Odin's new location at 199 Lafayette St and let us know. FYI, I do not work for Odin...cause I just realized this post makes it sound like I do.

thanks![/quote']

Do you have pictures?

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Picked up something a little different from Chimala over the weekend. It's a herringbone twill pant. They're not jeans, but they're definitely denim.

Because I'm roughly 15 Supersizes above most of SuFu, I should mention that these are a slim but not skinny, tapered fit. (Waist size 34, not the traditional 2).

1880199146_e134e46743.jpg

1879384703_841c6bbe36.jpg

1880202726_b7b17ed51a.jpg

1879386853_02689f0868.jpg

• 2 years later...

Bumping this Chimala thread from the dead.

I've been wearing mine for about 7 months. Fades really slow, but the construction is absolutely insane. Worn around 5 days a week since the start of the year and the crotch is still in perfect shape.

Surely some other people are wearing Chimala's