The Android Cell Phone Thread

herpsky

am almost the same as you bryan. im in the uk on o2 and currently have a 3gs but fancy an android. was looking at either the galaxy s, the htc desire hd or maybe the nexus s.

anyone got any opinions? do you android users recommend the system?

i'm a little more than two weeks in on my galaxy s

so far so good. haven't gotten much time to flash a decent rom so i'm just running stock 2.1 for now but so far i can tell i'm much better suited to android than iphone... there's very little chance i'll ever go back. only gripe is that the gps is shit but it's a feature that i'd rather let my magellan handle in the car.

so, apparently the retard who developed Launcher Pro felt it was appropriate to make the version expire and freeze up the entire phone.

I'm travelling so I had all data switched off, and now I'm stuck between a screen saying the version has expired and the web browser attempting to access an update page. I have no idea how to get around this, and looking at the LauncherPro forums, several others seem to be stuck as well.

exactly.

cant go into settings or hardly anything. I'm stuck between the popup notice of the expiration, and the browser.

I tried this: http://androidforums.com/android-applications/253272-launcher-pro-has-expired-best-solution.html

but it didn't work.

So you can't access a specific url in your browser? Or you can, but accessing the apk through your browser doesn't work?

Need more details about what didn't work in that solution you posted.

so, apparently the retard who developed Launcher Pro felt it was appropriate to make the version expire and freeze up the entire phone.

I'm travelling so I had all data switched off, and now I'm stuck between a screen saying the version has expired and the web browser attempting to access an update page. I have no idea how to get around this, and looking at the LauncherPro forums, several others seem to be stuck as well.

Yes, my father had this bug on his samsung i5700, unfortunately I flashed his phone.

Did you put debugging mode in your phone?

Maybe you can replace the apk with your computer and the sdk tools.

for some reason the package wouldn't open from the browser, I don't remember what the exact error was.

I ended up installing the new version through SDK, was pain in the ass since I have no experience in using it... but now the phone is working and I've uninstalled Launcher Pro. what a fucking joke...

• 2 weeks later...

waiting for the iphone 5 to drop on verizon q3/q4, i plan on making the switch.

the original droid was my 1st smartphone and i was stoked about it during the first few months of ownership, but it freezes up way too often and is not very fast at all. maybe an android phone will release around the drop date of the iphone 5 and keep me on team google, but it doesn't look likely at this point. fragmentation is a bitch...