The Android Cell Phone Thread

herpsky

^^

the 1BG of RAM was the eventual deal breaker for me. for a budget phone you can't really complain all that much, but i was getting sick of it constantly having to reload all the apps all the time, because Motorola kills background processes so aggressively. again tho, for the price you can't really complain all that much

been running Android 5.0 Lollipop on my 2013 Nexus 7 since yesterday, and after a few hurdles of getting everything setup correctly I'm really liking it. Really enjoying the material design, in so much that every action makes sense when it comes to movements and touching stuff, instead of just having app drawers flying in out of nowhere for instance

word of advice i learned the hard way, Lollipop has a setup option that allow you to use NFC/Bluetooth to simply tap another device to link your Google account/settings. DO NOT DO THIS, unless you want whatever the new device is setup exactly like the old one. i setup my N7 by linking my Moto X, and it started downloading the exact same setup from the X to the 7, not cool. if you just login to your google account like normal you'll have to do the 2-step authentication (if active) but then you'll at least get the option to restore a backup from whichever device you select (also, titanium backup hasn't updated yet, so restoring from Google backup is probably your best bet)

ANYWAY, seems like a great update so far. only a few minor grips that will hopefully get ironed out, but hopefully Motorola starts rolling out OTAs to the 1st gen Moto X soon (2nd gen X and G are already getting them)

Edit: looks like titanium had been updated to support 5.0 now

Edited by jayrock

• 2 weeks later...

Overall 5.0 seems good, but I really hate the new ringer adjustment, seems like there is no way to simply switch between silent - vibrate - audible..? I have to use these "interruption" settings which really blow when I want to quickly adjust it, before I was able to do it without even looking at the phone.

yeah, the new system is really dumb. "None" should still allow alarms through at least, it's overly complicated to get to just a standard "silent" setting. i mean, i guess that's what the "priority" setting does if you don't have any actual contacts starred, but still, way to overthink things guys

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So I guess my 1st gen Moto X is basically never gonna get Lollipop because of the crappy X8 cpu architecture... been taking forever at least. Oh well, no biggie I guess. have Lollipop on my N7 and it's not game changing or anything

Oddly enough I've been looking at some Windows Phone entries lately... Mostly the Lumia 635 because it's so damn cheap, and its eventual successor the 640 which is supposed to release this spring. The 635 is pretty bare-bones entry level status, but for $50 unlocked through Amazon that's to be expected. The 640 bumps up the specs to a little more respectable level with 1gb RAM and the 720p 5" screen, but will likely cost close to $200 for an LTE variation.

Am still satisfied with Android and my Moto X, and given I'm so embedded in Google's ecosystem I probably won't completely switch from Android, but the latest Lumia phones have caught my eye and the WP space will be interesting to watch leading up to the Windows 10 release later this year

Edited by jayrock

• 2 weeks later...

If I was gonna swoop on any android tomorrow, it would def be the Z3C

Check out out the Yahoo Aviate launcher, been rocking it for awhile now and it's alright. Like the app drawer, but it's not the smoothest ever (aka android across the board)

Edited by jayrock

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody pickup the m9 or s6 yet? Thinking about getting the s6 this month since the reviews have been very positive. Historically ive had problems with samsung quality in the past and htc has always exceeded my expectations, but it looks to be different this time around?

Edited by Fycus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If I was gonna swoop on any android tomorrow, it would def be the Z3C

Check out out the Yahoo Aviate launcher, been rocking it for awhile now and it's alright. Like the app drawer, but it's not the smoothest ever (aka android across the board)

The z3 c is nice I've had 2 the dust proof is REALLY helpful. My only complaint about it is the way group texts work. It sends each one individually when using regular SMS. I then switched it to google hangouts which sorta fixed the problem but I was receiving texts late or not at all. Not only that but I wasn't receiving a lot of picture texts it said I had to do it but you can't. The reg SMS has problems too aside from the group texts

The z3 c is nice I've had 2 the dust proof is REALLY helpful. My only complaint about it is the way group texts work. It sends each one individually when using regular SMS. I then switched it to google hangouts which sorta fixed the problem but I was receiving texts late or not at all. Not only that but I wasn't receiving a lot of picture texts it said I had to do it but you can't. The reg SMS has problems too aside from the group texts

textra is the best sms app for android ainec, totally worth the $0.99 they just started charging

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.textra&hl=en

i've been using it forever and all my group texts work just fine, with iphones, mms pics, all that jazz

hangouts is terrible

Edited by jayrock

This is what I'm talking about.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sony-xperia-z3/447647-why-my-sms-delaying-my-z3-compact.html

If you google around plenty of other people have the same issues. When I had textra I had volte off and the correct apn settings as well as textra being on during stamina mode. I got a second z3c and same thing is happening. I've just learned to live with it though annoying I really like the phone.

• 3 weeks later...

been trying out the s6 for a week now and im surprised at how solid the handset is. Never really been into the galaxy series but this has completely changed my mind about them. only caveat is the battery life, but even then its not too bad.

I was originally planning on switching to the lg g4 next month but the longer i use the s6 the more i want to keep it. plus samsung pay looks kinda cool. :P

• 4 months later...

wish they didn't increase the size on the 5... :mad:

the original N5 is just the perfect size, even a few mm larger and it wont fit in my back pocket and less comfortable to hold

I can definitely see that. I have been using the 5 since release and love the size, but honestly the aluminum body is what I have wanted from a nexus phone since so I'm glad that its happening.

Also, in regards to smaller phones.. I wish there was still a market for 4.5 inch phones.

been using the n5 as my daily driver for a while. tempted to switch to a 6p but the form factory scares me.

Also, in regards to smaller phones.. I wish there was still a market for 4.5 inch phones.

sony xperia z5c might be what you're looking for