The Android Cell Phone Thread

herpsky

I'd have to say that since you're not really in need for an upgrade, I would advise you to hold off until the holiday season of this year. I know you've shown disinterest to the Iphone since it's being released around that time, but the main reason to wait is to see what Samsung has in store in terms of their Note 4. If you can't wait, the LG G3 or the HTC One M8 will defo do you justice. Of course just make sure to watch reviews, compare specs, and generally find what's best for you but you already know all that. 

Also look out for Project Ara (If you're into the whole modular interface), but that's going to be for a long while. 

Edited by POLYGAMY

• 3 weeks later...

In the market for a new phone as well. If it were up to me I'd wait, but I'm moving and the company is paying for it so it looks like it'll be between the HTC One M8 and Galaxy S5 (I actually really like the Z2 but it's not on Verizon). I like the look/feel of the HTC One M8 a lot more than the S5, but I'm still partial to Samsung phones + software...but I'll probably end up installing Cyanogenmod regardless. Can't decide though.

but I'm still partial to Samsung phones + software....

Gross

If the company is picking up the bill I guess it doesn't really matter. I'd personally take HTC hardware over Samsung any day, and I've heard a few gripes from S5 owners (super slow camera)

Fwiw, having been using the Moto G for a month or so - I can totally vouch for it. Obv not an option for you because the company situation, but it's a legit replacement / second phone, and has been totally acceptable as a daily driver for someone coming from a N5. Battery life is amazing and about the only real gripe is that 1gb or ram is kinda limiting on today's devices

Edited by jayrock

Yeah that's another plus for the Moto G, nexus 5 was just slightly too big for me. All the nexus 6 rumors have me pretty much not interested at all as it's supposed to be even bigger

Not all about these mini-tablets. My buddy has a Note 3 and there's no way I could use that. I think 4.5-4.7 is the screen sweetspot

Was playing around with an S5 at Best Buy. I've been running CFW on my dying S2 for so long that I forgot how bad a lot that Samsung overlay is. Heavily leaning towards the M8 now (although gonna install CFW regardless)

• 2 weeks later...

sick, never seen a phone with so little bevel. front camera on bottom seems problematic though.

finally got my setup stable. flashed with twrp recovery, android revolution hd rom, with mods to bootscreen as well as harmon kardon audio. using zooper for widgets, novapro for launcher. this is someone else's theme that i recreated with small changes. still trying to figure out what to do with the lock screen though!

tumblr_nan02fXUHe1qeiyqio1_500.jpg

tumblr_nan02fXUHe1qeiyqio2_500.jpg

tumblr_nan02fXUHe1qeiyqio3_500.jpg

Edited by alexthephallus

• 2 weeks later...

got an m8 a while ago too, sick phone. mostly pleased with home screen (lock screen is same), this was the closest i could get to what i wanted with zooper

you have instagram now? browse it openly?

You'd be better off selling the X outright and picking up a cheap-o android if that's the plan

Flip X for $400,buy Moto E for $140 or whatever they go for

:( i cant, i got it as a gift but it was locked to the previous owner's account and we couldn't return it. been too lazy tho and the harmon kardon mod is pretty chill for spotify .. might just end up getting a large microsd or something instead.

• 3 weeks later...

I am using an old samsung galaxy s at the moment.

I cant update anything even when i connect with a usb and use the kies software provided.

The phone still has the android market instead of the google play store.

I am forced to use this particular phone for a while longer, is there anything i can do?

i just swooped on this deal, pretty good imo. that was my main beef when the moto x came out: too expensive. also, all the new android phones coming out are just too damn big for me, 4.7 really is a good sweet spot. i'm not all about these phablets. maybe i'll get burned and there will be a smaller nexus later this month, but you're probably looking at $350+ either way.

1st gen moto x unlocked (xt1053) for $249

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191358587492

Edited by jayrock

I am using an old samsung galaxy s at the moment.

I cant update anything even when i connect with a usb and use the kies software provided.

The phone still has the android market instead of the google play store.

I am forced to use this particular phone for a while longer, is there anything i can do?

flash an aosp rom

I spent some time on xda forums and taught myself a thing or two.

Solved my problems, learnt the basics, and had some fun.

• 2 weeks later...

So seems like Nexus 6 will be another phablet / taphoblet / dafuqlet. I kind wished they would've come up with another pocketable phone, at least for me N5 is the maximum size that comfortably fits both front and back pockets on jeans...

Android has come a long way over the years. I spent a great deal of time on it during the Froyo/Gingerbread years on an original Samsung Galaxy S. Kit Kat was quite refined, but I'm definitely looking forward to Lollipop. On the phone Kit Kat isn't so bad, but on tablets when moving between app and the homescreen everything is flying from all different directions with no rhyme or reason and I'm just really looking forward to the Material Design where all the onscreen movement has a place and purpose. (Part of the reason I hate iOS, all the unnecessary screen movements, like going in and out of folders, bleh.)

Edited by jayrock

I'd be interested to see what everyone else is using

when i had an HTC one i went through many launchers to try them out and found one called "Themer" that i really liked.

i wanted to get a minimalistic looking launcher with just basic time/date info and maybe music and camera shortcuts, but i'm not very tech-savvy so i appreciated the fact that you had a ton of different ready themes to choose from and doing some minor tweaking to the ready themes was really easy (drag and drop to change or remove stuff and it supported different fonts and different icon packs etc.)

i don't know if you've ever heard of it but for me Themer was probably the best launcher i've tried.

Still waiting for the factory images to be released so the folks over at XDA can whip up some flashible zips (N7 flo here, moto x has awhile)

Google kinda dragging their feet in that regard. There are preview versions of lollipop out, and a couple of custom builds but everyone is still waiting on 5.0 drivers I think

Thought they were supposed by to start pushing lollipop OTA to nexus devices on 11/12 (delayed for bug fixes) so hopefully next week...

Edit: another good android history

http://www.androidauthority.com/sweet-spot-visual-look-delicious-history-android-563596/

Edited by jayrock

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the Moto G. Been using it for the past few weeks.

Battery life is certainly amazing. no problems with processing power, etc.

Only gripe is the camera. Obviously didnt expect anything amazing, but the focal length is annoyingly long, and it doesn't have a focus function.