The Android Cell Phone Thread

herpsky

• 3 weeks later...

Well as of now with the current ota update att sent out it did away with the only exploit that bypassed the locked bootloader that allowed you to flash a recovery and rom. The guys at xda found a way to get root access but it still can't flash any kind of recovery or rom. 

• 4 months later...

^ one of my clients is on that, was telling me all about it before the launch..was a good sale but I'm too attached to OS of apple

the phone is pretty cool, can do things much like Siri but it actually can answer you when u call..let's say you can't find it cos it's under a pile of clothes somewhere in ur room..u can call out and it'll recognize ur voice and then respond

that's what stuck when he described all the stuff it does cos I am constantly misplacing phone

the customization of colors is pretty cool too, actual phone and not having to purchase the case in x color

I had a Nexus 5 for about a week and have a Moto-X now.  Both great phones the Nexus is just too big - I cant comfortably carry it in the summer in most of my jeans. Also, the Moto-X's active display with previews is awesome as is (too a lesser extent) the always listening voice function.  Got a coupon code to get it for 350 as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Just switched my Verizon Droid Razr to a T-Mobile Google Nexus 5.  Going from 4g LTE that was frequently slower than late-90s dial-up speeds to a steady 20mbps is great, but even more amazing is that the phone actually functions, doesn't crash all the time, and just does what I want it to do.

just did a quick search on the play store and installed one called nononsense notes. looks nice and simple, has good reviews too.

yeah google keep is awful, i only make a note of when to pay off my credit card, and even then i hated using it. didn't like evernote either.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yeah, i've noticed that too, although the "stock" (bloated) camera app is pretty shit, i've had better quality using an external application.

super stoked to get rid of this shitty broken galaxy s2 and probably going to switch to a new carrier and get the galaxy s5! 

Really liking the looks of the HTC One M8. The fact that it takes Nano SIM is what almost had me sold. I can switch between my iPhone 5 and the M8 freely (shouldn't have to do that, tho) I want the unlocked Google Play Edition, but $699.00...

• 1 month later...

Galaxy S3 Mini has been treating me well. Not using it for anything too crazy. Calls, text, directions, movie times, browsing, tumblr, insta, etc. but everything works nicely and I like the interface a great deal. Easy to find things in the Google Play store, and the widgets remind me of the mini game from the mega-man handheld games, where your "deck" of bonuses was composed of how many individual shapes you could puzzle piece together.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a Moto G? I'm thinking about picking one up because they're so cheap and the battery life is supposed to be really good - the main selling point for me (average 6 hours SOT compared to 4 hours SOT for N5, plus crazy good standby time)

Have a N5 now and everything is fine, except the battery isn't so great. Dunno if I could really switch to the Moto G with the lack of LTE, but given the price it seems like a decent second phone if nothing else

Edit: hmm http://m.androidcentral.com/moto-g-4g-support-officially-announced

Edited by jayrock

• 3 weeks later...
Just swooped on the LTE model that also has a SD card slot

Pretty fed up with the abysmal battery life on the Nexus 5, so if all goes well with this Moto G I'll just flip the N5 and pocket the difference. Hopefully soon before the Nexus 6 drops (if it does at all)

Edited by jayrock

Moto G showed up yesterday and it seems pretty legit. Haven't had a chance to move over from the N5 completely because I wanna unlock the bootloader first, but the size and ergonomics are pretty great and if the battery life is anywhere near as good as advertised I'll dump this N5 in a hot minute

I'm really into the idea of treating your smartphone as the disposable tech that it is too, $200 for a functional unlocked Android? Yes please, if I break or lose it, oh well

Edit: been using the G for the past day or so and the battery is way better, GPS is better, and the step down in daily performance from the snapdragon 800 to the 400 is practically negligible. The N5 is a beast no doubt, but a thirsty one at that

Edited by jayrock

• 2 weeks later...

YO sorry to do this but can anyone point me in the right direction.  I've got an upgrade and I'm kind of jonesing for a new phone.  Was going to be a piece of shit and wait for the iPhone 6 since i'm already locked into the ecosystem, etc, etc... but honestly there is no appeal to that shit anymore.  I don't really NEED to upgrade right now so should I be waiting for some cool android phone on the horizon or is it already out there and I should pick it up tomorrow.  Verizon, by the way.