The Android Cell Phone Thread

herpsky

I really want the htc one. I switched from a galaxy s2 to a htc one x and i'll probably never buy a samsung phone again. There's something about the screen colors that I much prefer on the htc phones. Not to mention that all the samsungs I've handled felt a little flimsy (loose battery door, loose buttons, etc) whereas the htc phones are always very solid. I think HTC phones are lacking in certain areas like having exposed cameras, lock buttons on top of phone instead of side, but generally I have been VERY happy with my HTC device. I don't need to upgrade and I love my unlocked one x, so hopefully a mildly revised one will be released in the fall/winter.

A rep for HTC was selling food at the event, too. lol

But the S4's specs are nothing to laugh at. Just too bad about the plastic build.

There's a nice crack on my S3 (my first plastic phone) near the volume button on the bezel.

Only dropped it once...

I am looking forward to the reviews of both S4 and One. But build quality and better look will probably make me swtich to HTC.

Do you like custom roms at all? or rooting/unlocking bootloader? From someone who's used HTC phones in the past while doing hacking, Samsung's the way to go. Fucking hated HTC. Plus development on Samsung products usually go for a lot longer than any other brand.

I have had an s2 and a htc one x and the rom support for my one x has been leaps and bounds better than my s2, I think it all depends on which community. The htc one and s4 will both have fantastic support because they are flagship devices.

I've never owned an HTC phone but the development on Samsung phones is huge, judging by the xda forums. Not sure if any phone development tops the Nexus phones though.

About the One vs the S4, IMO it all comes down to battery life. I'd rather have the S4 and its shitty plastic housing over the One and its great build quality if the S4's battery life was significantly better. I'd be upgrading from a Note 2 too, which has insane battery life (I never have to worry about the battery % at all during the day) because of its monster 3100 mAh battery, so yeah, battery life is really important to me.

hey funkdoobi, you still using the first galaxy note? i was the dude that sold it to you :)

Edited by Jokez

Do you like custom roms at all? or rooting/unlocking bootloader? From someone who's used HTC phones in the past while doing hacking, Samsung's the way to go. Fucking hated HTC. Plus development on Samsung products usually go for a lot longer than any other brand.

I do like custom roms and all. My SGS3 runs Foxhound and my SGS2 was on some roms as well.

The gf has a HTC Sensation and it's a pain in the ass to even root it.

We'll see, but something tells me that a) HTC already aknowledged that opened devices sell better b ) the scene on it will be big.

I have just read that it has been delayed due to low supplier trust though :/

Edited by freecat

Another review: http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/htc-one-review-50010439/

"Good: Metal frame is sturdy and luxurious, Attractive interface, extemely powerful, etc."

"Bad: Black paintwork picks up scuffs incredibly easily, Camera doesn't impress, no extendable memory or removeable battery, etc."

I'm just saying tho.

I hope HTC doesn't ship their aluminum phones with scratches and dings like the iPhone 5 does

the fragile surface was my second biggest issue with the one s. first problem was of course that the phone had hardware issues, but I suppose I just got a shitty unit. but the matte black finish got scuffs very easily if kept in the pocket, if thats an issue with the new One as well, its definitely a deal breaker for me.

^ Agree with the article. It is a nice phone, with some quirks such as that unecessary Beats Audio logo. But the author just basically said that every other Android phone that has ever came out has been ugly, even the Nexus 4...

I'm sure the author is getting too much of a hard-on with aluminum.

Anyway, Does the One take Nano-SIM?

Edited by PRC.

But the author just basically said that every other Android phone that has ever came out has been ugly, even the Nexus 4...

yea its a bit over the top..

this is probably my favourite phone design wise, but the One S and X were nice as well. I liked the Nexus S, even though it had a slightly plasticy feel typical to samsung, but the curved design was very cool. The Galaxy Nexus felt much sturdier and was also nice, and the Nexus 4 is a very well designed phone.

Of course android phones have come a long way, just like iPhones or any other phones for that matter. I just found my broken 3G in a drawer and it felt like a toy after everything that has come out in recent years.

• 2 weeks later...

HTC One (unlocked, dev. edition) up for pre-order on their site. $650.00 for the 64 gb. Limited!

Bloatware-free! Ships on April 18th.

I want it but I have other things I want to kop. :^(

Thinking of biting the bullet right now...

The Dev Edition means it is "custom ROM ready" amongst other things "modable", i assume. This is right up an Android fan's/tinkerer's alley.

Handled the One today in SF because HTC has a demo booth near embarcadero center. I'm in love. The phone is freaking amazing. I can't wait until custom roms are made available. My only concern is that with the new rear camera, I feel like it is a huge target for scratches. Hopefully HTC puts out "screen" protectors or something for the camera, which would be a shame to scratch to hell within a few months.

My only concern is that with the new rear camera, I feel like it is a huge target for scratches. Hopefully HTC puts out "screen" protectors or something for the camera, which would be a shame to scratch to hell within a few months.

I didn't even think about this since the lens on my nexus 4 is behind the gorilla glass...

I'm even more concerned about the body though, if preliminary reviews already said its prone to scratching, I'm scared how it'll look after a few months. at least on the black one.

The black one is a lost cause, theres no way I'm even going to try. Even the iphone5 in black loses its color. It's the nature of the material and the coating, there really is no way it can be bulletproof. If you really are that worried get the plain silver, I think its a safer bet.