The Android Cell Phone Thread

herpsky

• 2 weeks later...

have had the N4 for a week now, seems excellent so far.

battery life seems decent to me, I charge it at night and for example now at 1:30am I have 50% with average use throughout the day. Usually its between 30-50% after a full day. about the same as on my HTC One S.

build quality feels great, my One S was chipping paint after a week, this one looks brand new. the glass seems very tough. I want to get something like a gelaskin for the back though, it can be a bit slippery if your hands are dry as the surface is like 90% glass.

Jellybean seems to have some nice features, for example the more complex notifications, gesture typing works incredibly and unexpectedly well. The camera is cool as well with the controls all available by pushing anywhere on the screen. photo editing is also pretty next level, lots of features, effects etc.

overall very impressed.

Flashed a Note II (ROM) port on my S3. I had no idea Note II users could browse the internet through a pop-up window and navigate the home pages at the same time. O.O

Google Now has got to be one of the best features on any Android device running 4.1 and up. Very useful.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with the note 1 when I had it (I have a iphone5now). Very easy fix. Try

settings-wireless and network- USB utils and click turn on USB storage, it'll then ask you to plug in your lead and you'll have to click the turn on mass storage button.

Edited by Phongables

I recently picked up an HTC One S Us-Tmobile version and although i actually dig the phone, the reception and data connectivity on this thing sucks so bad (for me at least)

reading through the pages, I've noticed some of you guys have had similar issues and others haven't. I'm thinking of swapping it out for a GSII which would be my only option if i wanted an even exchange.

Right now the phone is completely stock and I'm wondering if its worth swapping out or if theres an rom that will fix connectivity issues with this thing or if i should just try another one s and see if that helps?

I recently picked up an HTC One S Us-Tmobile version and although i actually dig the phone, the reception and data connectivity on this thing sucks so bad (for me at least)

reading through the pages, I've noticed some of you guys have had similar issues and others haven't. I'm thinking of swapping it out for a GSII which would be my only option if i wanted an even exchange.

Right now the phone is completely stock and I'm wondering if its worth swapping out or if theres an rom that will fix connectivity issues with this thing or if i should just try another one s and see if that helps?

I really don't know what my problem with it was, sometime it would work fine for a while, but then I would have really shitty data connectivity for several days with phone jumping between H and 3G in areas I know have excellent HSDPA coverage. it was also strange as sometimes it at least felt like switching between software could help, for example I couldn't access facebook or download e-mail, but could access websites with the browser. rebooting usually helped for a little while. I resetted the phone several times but still had problems.

What I do know is that the N4 works like a charm, no connection issues whatsoever. I have 4 bars on H at home, where the one S would jump between networks.

actually, scratch not having any problems at all.. The call volume on my nexus 4 is insanely loud, I've set it as low as possible and people across the room can literally hear what I'm hearing. wondering if this is a bug of some sort...

I'm getting the LG Optimus G today. I'll tell you guys how I like it. Its running 4.0 not jelly bean, but there is an update expected to roll out by January. I think the bootloader is locked, but people are developing work arounds so I'm thinking of maybe flashing roms onto this bad boy.

Even though that's just a render, that seriously looks awesome. If those specs are correct, that thing will be a fucking powerhouse. There is a rumor that LG is dropping the Optimus G2 in may and its gonna have a 1080p screen like the GS4. Its also looking like it will have the 2.0ghz quadcore, run on 5.0 key lime pie, 13 megapixel camera, and atleast 2 gb of ram. Phone tech is getting crazy man.

• 1 month later...

Long shot question, can i get my gs2 unlocked from an australian service provider, take it to the us, buy a us sim, and have everything work (internet, calls (new number obviously) etc

Yes ! you can unlock your gs2 (Samsung galaxy 2) from an australian service by using unlock code. Nowadays, many of the unlocking providers found online to render code . To unlock your gs2 from an australian service visit the site Theunlockspot.com . Here, they ask you to provide your network provider to get the unlock code from them. After unlocking it, you can use your gs2 with US sim for internet,calls etc.

Edited by swapnakarna

this looks cool. Anyone tried Miracast / screen sharing? I assume so far this is on the Nexus 4 only, at least the N10 was missing the support at some point..

based on this discussion on xda-dev, its still in very early stages in terms of functionality, from what I gathered it only works with a couple of devices (the Netgear one and some other), and requires updating to some beta firmware etc.

i have a nexus 4. just loaded cyanogenmod 10.1 (4.2.2 JB).

besides the crappy battery life, i have nothing to complain about. it is a solid phone.

Edited by herpsky

thought the nexus 4 was being praised for its battery life?

It's kind of relative. I had an iPhone 5 for a while. I could get at least 2x the amount of screen time with iPhone 5 than I did with nexus.

I just rewrote the kernel and switched the firmware from cyanogenmod to liquidsmooth, which apparently consumes a lot less battery. I seems the combination is less snappy than cyanogenmod with stock kernel but I'd rather have a slightly slower phone and have a longer battery life.

The last android I owned was Samsung's original galaxy S so I can't really speak about the battery/performance of SG2 or SG3.

Edited by herpsky

• 3 weeks later...

this looks cool. Anyone tried Miracast / screen sharing? I assume so far this is on the Nexus 4 only, at least the N10 was missing the support at some point..

based on this discussion on xda-dev, its still in very early stages in terms of functionality, from what I gathered it only works with a couple of devices (the Netgear one and some other), and requires updating to some beta firmware etc.

HTC has had a media link accessory that does the same thing for the EVO LTE, and i assume it works with the other similar One series phones, since it was released. Been meaning to get it.

Edited by Rob060