The Android Cell Phone Thread

herpsky

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting ready to upgrade my phone. I'm either gonna get the Motorola Atrix HD or the HTC One X (AT&T LTE). Leaning towards the One X because I'm used to HTC Sense and the camera is fuckin' off da charts for a cell camera. The Atrix looks supppperrrr sexy though.

well, firstly, apparently I have some "sunday" version and the finish scrapes of insanely easily. I had it in my jeans pocket without anything else for two weeks, and every corner had chips coming off. my friend has the same black one, and after several months his still looks like new.

otherwise, just issues with data connectivity, keeps losing it, especially with the latest os update after which it seemingly jumps between 3g and HSDPA, the icon in the status bar blinks back and forth, and the data connection is poor, can't connect to e-mail or facebook but browser works.. restarting fixes it for a while, but then the same thing again. will have to factory reset again but its getting a bit annoying.

that said, my friend doesn't have any of these problems, so maybe mine is just fucked up. I got it second hand so there isn't much to do about it.

you running stock or are those consistent across all roms?

stock

first issue was losing data/3g altogether, sometimes needed several restarts before it started working. factory reset helped for a while, but soon I got it again. went over APN settings several times, in the end picking up a new sim card seemed to have helped for a while. but now after the latest update I got this new issue with 3g/hsdpa fluctuation, which seems to come and go. I'll have to try a factory reset...

general consensus is LG makes good hardware, but the software sucks.

the Optimus G, their latest phone, got great reviews though. this is from engadget:

"The Optimus G is a phenomenal piece of hardware that combines refined design, superb build quality and specs to die for. Qualcomm's quad-core Snapdragon S4 Pro provides gobs of performance without sacrificing battery life. While LG's 4.7-inch True HD IPS PLUS panel is beautiful, it still ranks behind HTC's gorgeous Super LCD 2 display on the One X. Despite that pesky continuous autofocus, both 13 and 8-megapixel cameras are capable of capturing top-notch photos and usable videos. Where the Optimus G falls short is in the software department -- LG's UI 3.0 skin is mediocre and Ice Cream Sandwich is somewhat disappointing on such a great handset. Apparently, there's an Optimus G-based Nexus phone running Jelly Bean in the works -- problem solved, then."

http://www.engadget....exus-aspiratio/

Edited by Jokez

• 2 weeks later...

Been messing about with NFC. Unfortunately due to some weird bug, I can't get it to work with tasker, but I now have stickers by my bed that dim my screen, silence all notifications, turn my lock screen off, and each set alarms for different times. I've also got a sticker on my business card case that directs to my website, and a sticker for work that turns on a bunch of alarms I need.

actually i'm good with hspa+

still shitty batt life doe :sleep:

http://www.anandtech...exus-4-review/2

Some recent sites are reporting 15 hrs after heavy use which is pretty good. The early findings were probably because of pre-release firmware.

In any case, I just happened to go on Google play at the right time and bought one before they sold out. On a whim I put it on ebay to see what it sold for, and got $600 BIN within a few hours. Today was a good day.