The Android Cell Phone Thread

herpsky

I have a samsung galaxy S fascinate for verizon. I think I rooted it but still only have 2.1 and not too much going on. anyone have any suggestions to get the most out of my phone?

Get "voodoo lagfix" and flash it to your phone, so much faster and MUCH better sound quality.

• 2 weeks later...

just a quick question. i have recently bought an android phone for the first time and noticed when trying to install apps that they all ask for permission of some kind, from accessing phone calls to contacts or whatever. wtf is this? i dont want some random company or person being able to do what they like with my phone and information.

any help would be great because im seriously thinking of sending it back because of this. thanks.

i think it's more just to let you know what services an application will be using, and it's your choice to decide if that is justified or not. if you're downloading a "credible" application (enough reviews, high ratings, etc.), you're probably pretty safe. but if you're downloading some bootleg version of doodle jump that requires GPS info and messaging capabilities, it might not be a good choice. when you're using an app, there are certain directories on the phone that need to be accessed, it's kinda your own decision to decide if they requested permissions are reasonable.

^ how do you like it so far? Pros and cons?

I was considering waiting for the Galaxy Nexus but in the meanwhile I played with a Droid Razr and was impressed with the design and solid feel of it.

When I was comparing specs I realized the Razr had a few things that I felt were important to me. Good feel and finish, Motorola radio, and mass storage mode. My original Droid was leaking oil and dropping screws everywhere, so I decided to go with the Razr. Happy with it so far, I had forgotten what a responsive phone is like.

Edited by tangerine

google japanese IME came out today. it's the best JP input system i've used on android.

i've been on atok, go keyboard, and simeji but this thing is far superior to any of these

I've had a nexus for a few weeks now and these are my thoughts...

Pros:

• ICS is a really nice, smooth IOS.
  • Super fast
  • Awesome screen
  • Face unlock is cool
  • Being able to resize widgets is awesome.

Cons:

• This is hard to explain but I'll try...If I've written out a text to someone but don't send it, it gets saved as a draft. If I later delete the draft, it's removed from the message thread but if I go back to my list of texts, the deleted draft still shows up. Not a huge glitch but it annoys me.
  • Camera isn't great

Overall it beats the shit out of my old 3Gs. It's my first android so I can't compare it to previous models but so far I'm really pleased. I don't regret switching from Apple at all.

Edited by stazy

I was considering waiting for the Galaxy Nexus but in the meanwhile I played with a Droid Razr and was impressed with the design and solid feel of it.

When I was comparing specs I realized the Razr had a few things that I felt were important to me. Good feel and finish, Motorola radio, and mass storage mode. My original Droid was leaking oil and dropping screws everywhere, so I decided to go with the Razr. Happy with it so far, I had forgotten what a responsive phone is like.

haven't used face unlock, but i agree with stazy's pro's. the screen size and speed are such an improvement from the OG Droid, it's incredible. task management has been one of my favorite improvements from the OG droid.

i'm also very impressed by the audio out (if you remember the OG droid headphone jack woes). it's really clear, and the jack on the bottom is very convenient when using the phone, i think.

one thing that i really liked about the nexus over the other current top vzw phones was how nice it feels when you're using it. from the curved screen to the rounded edges and even the textured back plate (though the razr kevlar back is pretty awesome), it's a very well designed phone.

ICS is great so far, but there are some downsides since it's so new. quite a few programs are incompatible at the moment, apparently, but that'll pass in time.

the speaker could be a little louder. the OG droid was a great alarm - piercingly loud in the mornings. the nexus is a bit too soft with some of the same tones i had on the droid, but i may just need to optimize sound settings as it's a different phone.

don't know if it's just my device, but the phone tends to get pretty hot. sometimes i'll leave it sitting on the desk for a while, pick it up and it'll feel like it's been running intense processes for some time. not a big deal yet, but i'm curious to see how hot it gets when the tasks get more involved.

camera is whatever, but it's a lot better than the OG droid. i still don't use a phone camera as a primary, so it doesn't bother me.

hopefully that helps a little bit. i've only been playing with it for a day, really, so the list of good/bad will likely change dramatically over the next couple weeks. so far, though, i really dig it. anything in particular you're curious to compare?

Just got my nexus galaxy today. I forgot how pleasant it is to have such a snappy phone, not to mention how incredibly fast lte is (yay unlimited data) My old droid eris was on its last limb. Definitely gonna give it a couple days to get used to. My only real gripe so far is the way the battery door attaches to the body.

Can anyone suggest me some must have apps? My last phone's hardware sucked so hard i was never really able to run anything. Ive already added a twitter app, lookout, netflix, and yelp so far.

apps on my home screen

1) twicca

2) gReader

3) readitlater

4) map

5) jorte (calendar)

6) wunderlist (to do list)

7) evernote

8) fast reboot

ADW extended (or whatever it's called) is my home screen manager.

others:

ezPDF reader pro, beautiful widgets, doubletwist, juicedefender, gasbuddy, shush (timed silent mode - awesome if you are in a meeting or whatever), soundhound infinity (kinda like shazam but able to ID really obscure stuff e.g. japanese punk songs),

Another annoyance: I hate how my texts are right aligned. Anyone know what to change that?

Can anyone suggest me some must have apps? My last phone's hardware sucked so hard i was never really able to run anything. Ive already added a twitter app, lookout, netflix, and yelp so far.

Epicurious

Mixology

OpenTable

Slacker Radio

SoundHound

Evernote

Flight Track

Paper Camera

Score Mobile

Reddit is Fun

IMDB

Got a verizon upgrade and trying to decide whether to get the Nexus or iPhone 4GS. Live in NYC if that matters but can anyone comment which one to get?

A couple of my friends have been trying to get the the Nexus in NYC, but a bunch of places are sold out so far. Idk if that'll make an impact on your decision at all.