The Android Cell Phone Thread

herpsky

so funny how high the standard is on these new devices though when you think about it it's - "fuck this 720p shit, so 2011 - gonna wait on that 180i at 60fps" when four years ago a blackberry was the height of tech. I guess phones have to slow down eventually like TVs and everything but it's still funny.

i tried to go back to a Nokia E61i because I finally got around to repair it after a couple of years. The low screen resolution, the non-ergonomic menus, lack of customization option, the general sluggishness and poor camera made me realise that today's phone are really way better.

i tried to go back to a Nokia E61i because I finally got around to repair it after a couple of years. The low screen resolution, the non-ergonomic menus, lack of customization option, the general sluggishness and poor camera made me realise that today's phone are really way better.

yeah, then nhd res is lame, but i'm a big fan of symbian

have yet to find a good gmail widget for android (lpp's sucks, pure messenger kinda sucks)

Just want to give a mini-review comparing the HTC Sensation vs. LG G2x.

*Note: I am not biased towards any company. I am more for HTC, but this LG phone is incredible.

IMG_3318.jpg

Well initial impression on the G2x was WOW this thing is fast. Comparing the speed to the sensation is like comparing an olympic runner to an amateur jogger. The processor isn't 1.2 GHz like the sensation, but a mere 1.0 GHz yet because it doesn't have any preloaded software (ex: sense), it is a lot faster.

Now onto the design. Both phones are different, the LG feels cheaper and the HTC feels more expensive. That is to say that the LG doesn't feel cheap at all just when compared to the HTC. One thing I hate about the HTC is that when you have to get the battery you have to literally remove the whole phone with the exception of the screen. The LG is just a snap back.

IMG_3323.jpg

The Buttons are pretty much the same. The far right is the search, the 3rd to the right is the back button, the 2nd to the left is the menu, and the far left is to return to the menu, but the first 2 are switched on the HTC.

IMG_3319.jpg

Now thats it for pictures, onto the stone cold facts. Ok, starting with battery life, the HTC Sensation is great, well--it lasted me a full day of moderate-heavy usage, with 4G turned on and sometimes with airplane mode turned on. Either way it lasted me, but personally I would rather see that there is still 50% at the end of the day rather than 25%, but thats just me. I can't say too much about the G2x considering I haven't had it for that long (about a day and a half), but so far it has only had 1 charge since last night and it has lasted me all day so far.

Display- Well personally I don't think there is enough of a difference for the display to be compared between the 2. IMO I think that the G2x is the better screen, but it isn't a noticeable enough of a difference to compare with each other, but if it was a samsung AMOLED screen than I couldn't really compare. You can look up the specs on the screens if you really want to get technical.

Now onto the camera, it is a pretty damn good camera. Unfortunately I decided to update the software to gingerbread 2.3.3, and I am pissed off since I can't find a way to root this device now and it changed some camera settings. The HTC Sensations camera is OK, it tends to give a bit of a blurry picture and it isn't as sharp as the G2x, but they are both cell-phone pictures so they aren't as great as you would think.

Both are very fast (like I said earlier), but not just in loading apps and the like, but in the sense that it literally downloads apps in a matter of seconds. Also the 4G (HSPA) for t-mobile is amazingly fast. I mean it is probably AS fast as Wi-Fi if not faster.

I don't know if this will help anyone, but hopefully it will for someone who is debating on switching to t-mobile and debating between these 2 phones.

having strange problems with my Nexus S. people are telling me that when they call me it goes straight to voicemail. happened just today, and apparently messages are not coming through either, I was sent an sms that didn't hit my phone until 40 minutes later when I made a call. now I tried making a call and it took 3 tries for it to go through, first two gave a beep as if the network would be busy / not available, even though I had full reception. problem with phone or carrier?

Probably with the phone. I would take it to the carrier and ask for a replacement as I find that when they try and fix it it usually doesn't help and can only make problems worse.

Also, my phone is glitching as well, the internet has a mind of its own and likes to just randomly freeze then exit. I am starting to think I should have just stuck with the HTC now. Also I left my phone off the charger overnight and woke up at 2 and for whatever reason checked the phone it lost 20% of the battery on STANDBY! That was 2 hours after it was off the charger and on airplane mode... WTF.

Ready to upgrade my HTC Incredible. It's been great, but I've been fiending for a physical keyboard ever since I got rid of my BlackBerry. Digging the Droid3, but I'm a bit hesitant since it doesn't have 4g and I'd have to sign a 2 year contract this time around. Reviews look good tho and it's easily the best qwerty Android phone on VZW right now. If 4g kills the battery as much as I expect, perhaps I can do without it. WiFi is abundant anyway.

if you need a diff battery, check out chichitec (htcexpress.com). I've used their 1800mah in my t-mobile G2 and now the 1900mah my htc sensation 4g. they're fucking amazing. compared to stock, i get a full half day extra, or if i forgot to charge my phone the night before, i can get through another day with minimal use.

Probably with the phone. I would take it to the carrier and ask for a replacement as I find that when they try and fix it it usually doesn't help and can only make problems worse.

I'm in europe and bought it from the US, so no carrier will be able to help out as the nexus phones are not sold here. the closest thing is a Samsung Galaxy.

I suppose I could try it with a different sim card, but the problems occur so irregularly that it would be quite difficult.

if that's a case, as far as G2 cases go, get the otterbox. i used an otterbox on mine while i had it and it was great. you should also root that shit and install cyanogen mod. the phone really comes alive when you're able to overclock that badboy to 1500mhz.

Ready to upgrade my HTC Incredible. It's been great, but I've been fiending for a physical keyboard ever since I got rid of my BlackBerry. Digging the Droid3, but I'm a bit hesitant since it doesn't have 4g and I'd have to sign a 2 year contract this time around. Reviews look good tho and it's easily the best qwerty Android phone on VZW right now. If 4g kills the battery as much as I expect, perhaps I can do without it. WiFi is abundant anyway.

Just do without the keyboard and wait for the Galaxy S II in August. Droid 3 is apparently really laggy and just as bulky.

Just upgraded to my first "good" phone i guess, GS 2, i had a look around the market but nothing really struck me, anyone gimme some usefull basic/must have "widgets" recomendations? I'd kill for a good calendar/organiser kind of thing.

the more i play with my HTC evo 3d, the more i wish i had waited for the new iphizzle... its just so close to being great, but its not great. the pics are fun to show people, the 3d was not really the draw to me, but the fact its such a power house, but its buggy, power hungry and just not as easy going as my iphone was... no?

Bugging out waiting for the Galaxy S2 to hit AT&T.

Been pushing in iPhone 3GS for 2+ years now.

I'm going to cave and get the Atrix 4G if the Sammy doesn't hit soon.

Figure I'll root the Atrix and drop a new ROM on there if it comes down to it.

I need some dual-core phone action in my life.

Hey, can anyone tell me some features made available by rooting?I don't really care about theming or overclocking my device, and so far nothing I've seen has really influenced me to root my phone.