The Android Cell Phone Thread

herpsky

lolz, I happened to browse the market for the first time in weeks, and it showed up. tried it for a few mins, quite fun.

I'm thinking about rooting my nexus one in order to be able to modify the desktop a bit more, is it worth it just for that reason?

to be honest I don't know much about rooting yet, is there a good guide + faq somewhere? is there a way to go back to factory settings?

I rooted my phone through unrevoked.com which is a permanent root and can not be unrooted. Not too familiar with the Nexus One but I'm pretty sure theres a way to unroot although I heard from multiple sources that "HTC" doesn't really care and will honor the warranty .

BTW if your just looking to modify the look of your desktop ...you don't have to *root. All it is are basically widgets.

http://theunlockr.com/2010/01/02/how-to-root-the-nexus-one/

5c0-MvOSAII

Bookmark this

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=556

now that I looked into it, most of the things I wanted to do and assumed required rooting actually didn't. I installed SwitchPro and and LauncherPro which already helped quite a bit with the desktop appearance.

is there an easy way to customize/change the dock icons? what are the text ones you're using Phongables?

one thing I'm also missing is a good agenda widget. The N1 doesn't have a proper one, I think phones with Sense do. I have Smooth Calendar (looks like this), but its limited to 3 upcoming events, ideally I'd want to use two rows for it.

is there an easy way to customize/change the dock icons? what are the text ones you're using Phongables?

I use "MnmlText".

I try to keep things minimal. I have 5 home screens but I only use 3.

I uploaded whatever I had on my harddrive. Everything you need/want should be in that folder. Changing icons should be a breeze. Get familiar with L.P. I suggest you make create a folder on your sdcard for the icons or store it in the "dropbox" app.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4OXZVZ44

(The arrow icon you see on the right side is just a random icon i use for the "app drawer" from iconfinder.com.)

snap20101101_190211-1.png

snap20101101_190219.png

snap20101101_190228.png

looking good phongables

just rooted my incredible. lets see what we can see.

also, any places for good backgrounds other than zedge.net ?

tried to load redemption revolution rom with no luck, got cm 6.1.0 rc2 up just fine.

still trying to find all my apps and contacts. I think I forgot to copy them all to my comp, so I can copy them back to phone?

No worries, I backed up the stock sense ui with all apps and contacts

anyway, it's def quicker...and refreshing

looking good phongables

tried to load redemption revolution rom with no luck, got cm 6.1.0 rc2 up just fine.

still trying to find all my apps and contacts. I think I forgot to copy them all to my comp, so I can copy them back to phone?

No worries, I backed up the stock sense ui with all apps and contacts

anyway, it's def quicker...and refreshing

Before loading a new ROM. *Backup all user apps+system data via Titanium Backup . It should load all user settings,contacts, apps etc. Also after if you dont see all the apps that you downloaded on the dowload list in the MARKET. Just go to settings----applications---manage applications---all---market----- clear cache.... then repopen the market app.

@brokenglass. If you did "Backup all user apps+system data". Nothing should be lost. You might have to manually go in and restore each system data manually such as Contacts..bookmarks..etc by going to backup/restore in Titaniumbackup-----> scroll down all the way. if you see anything with a X mark--- then restore it one by one. I had to do that the first time around. No Big Deal.

And yes... all contacts should be synced to your Gmail address automatically anyway.

Thanks both, still struggling. on the incredible (maybe all sense ui?) It's called people rather than contacts. Anyway, still no luck. says:

Contacts 2.2.1

No backup yet

Even though I did click "backup all user apps+system data" They've got to be in there somewhere.

old stock

uglyoldsense.jpg

current cyanogen w/ launcher pro: work in progress, still need to customize some icons and make some folders and streamline the whole thing, still too cluttered

newhome1.jpgnewhome2.jpg

newhome3.jpgnewhome4.jpg

newhome5.jpg

I use "MnmlText".

I try to keep things minimal. I have 5 home screens but I only use 3.

I uploaded whatever I had on my harddrive. Everything you need/want should be in that folder. Changing icons should be a breeze. Get familiar with L.P. I suggest you make create a folder on your sdcard for the icons or store it in the "dropbox" app.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4OXZVZ44

(The arrow icon you see on the right side is just a random icon i use for the "app drawer" from iconfinder.com.)

thanks!

also, what are the agenda widgets used here and here? doesn't look familiar to me, the N1 lacks a proper one...

Downloading adroid 2.3 right now. We'll see how it goes.

Some of the updates:

* Bugfixes based upon its predecessor operating systems.

* Open source video codec that can replace flash.

* Enhanced advertising algorithm.

* Advanced Navigation System.

* HTML5 or higher standard specs.

* Native video embedding in web pages that will enable viewing of any video without acquiring specific codec.

* Enriched & more interactive User Interface.

^ lol. android 2.3 aka gingerbread hasn't been released yet. there's no way for you to download it. you're just downloading another OTA update. and the kernel is just the the version of the linux kernel.

the best way to know the version you're running on is by using the build number. something like "FRG83"

anyway here are some screens from my phone

23kajp1.jpg

9ftb4n.jpg

zirfuv.jpg

1zz0wox.jpg

I did a couple of things tonight

1) Pulled some fonts from Mac OSX and converted them to ttf files. I used ADB to push them to my phone. All the shitty stock fonts have now been replaced by the new fonts

2) Backed up everything from the phone to dropbox with titanium backup

I'll flash a new froyo rom (cognition 2.2) onto my captivate.

Samsung is too slow to release the official update.