The Android Cell Phone Thread

herpsky

nice.

i succesfully paired the phone with the bluetooth unit in the mac. i can't see the files in the phone, however.

how do i move a .ttf (font) file from /sdcard to /system/fonts????

i have root access and used a root explorer. is this a permission problem involving chmod?

i b good at computers but not a hax0r

nice.

i succesfully paired the phone with the bluetooth unit in the mac. i can't see the files in the phone, however.

how do i move a .ttf (font) file from /sdcard to /system/fonts????

i have root access and used a root explorer. is this a permission problem involving chmod?

i b good at computers but not a hax0r

Install adb on your Mac. Google it. Shouldn't be hard to find. Make sure to read up on where to put the directories and the basic commands first. Link might help: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=694250

Then in a terminal window use adb push /sdcard/file /system/fonts

just wondering...I'm going to japan in nov and looking to get a phone with wifi capability and stoked on the samsung galaxyS, should I wait for something better (soonish?). any thing to keep in mind?

fyi I have verizon...

You should hold out for this. It's going to be a CDMA/GSM Worldphone.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/04/htcs-dual-mode-cdma-gsm-android-slider-hits-the-fcc-decked-out/

There are very very very few free wifi hotspots in the Japland.

You will have to rely on GSM roaming.

You could get a prepaid SIM from Nihon Tsushin (lets you use the docomo network).

I'm gonna bring my galaxy to tokyo this winter. I'll try to grab one of those SIMs.

BTW, It's not something you'd find at the airport...

• 2 weeks later...

I have a strange problem with my N1. the touch screen works perfectly in regular use, but after I've charged it with the wall charger and its still hooked up, the screen is non-responsive. I have to either unplug it or press the power button a few times, after which the screen reacts. I usually charge it over night, so I notice this when I'm trying to hit the alarm snooze button in the morning.

so in short, phone hooked on charger with battery full = screen responds poorly?

• 3 weeks later...

Woo, just got a galaxy s vibrant (I900 on Bell) Rooted it and installed a custom rom which fucked it up entirely. Couldn't access a network for calls or data. Had to restore to a backup which didn't work. Had to reflash to original firmware and then restore. Anyway, rooted it again and just added clockworkrecovery and lagfix and i'm very very happy with it. Also apps manager is the best thing i've installed on it yet. anyway, does anyone know of a full screen rss widget that i can sync to my google reader? i've tried a bunch but they are mostly tiny 4x1 widgets that open up full screen readers, which i think is pretty dumb since i'd rather just have 1 homescreen dedicated to rss.

who copped the full angry birds app for free?

lolz, I happened to browse the market for the first time in weeks, and it showed up. tried it for a few mins, quite fun.

I'm thinking about rooting my nexus one in order to be able to modify the desktop a bit more, is it worth it just for that reason?

to be honest I don't know much abotu rooting yet, is there a good guide + faq somewhere? is there a way to go back to factory settings?