The Android Cell Phone Thread

herpsky

^^ Why not just use the Native GTalk (google talk) app?

messed around customizing the Evo again. I think I finally settled on a Home Dock that I like. Much better than the stock one.

5 home screens now instead of 7

2 Bottom Row Scrollable docks.

Clean Home Screen 1

IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0520-1.jpg

Home Screen 2

IMG_0526.jpg

Just Swapped the stock "call" & "messaging" icons for the traditional android green buttons

Make some custom icons and with that wallpaper it could start looking pretty nice.

Here's my setup on my Evo. Running CyanogenMod 6.0.0 with LauncherPro. I like to keep things simple and have everything available in my folders on the home screen.

4943698400_1d2a19b67d.jpg4943698338_45398899ae.jpg4943112599_3cbac4406f.jpg

Couldn't be happier moving from Blackberry to Android. So much more you can do with the phone. I love it.

I've been on the Evo since it's release date. I rooted the thing as soon as the method came out, since then I've been tested almost every mod out there and new things that come with rooting. It really opens up a whole new game to be played with your phone and is rather addicting.

Currently I'm on the latest CM6 rom based on 2.2 Froyo. With rooting you also get access to things like free hotspot and other root-only apps, custom kernels (you can literally put your phone on steroids with these), and overall MUCH more customization.

It's not confusing at all and if you need help send me a PM, I'll link you to one of the most helpful forums there is on this stuff.

My biggest complaint about droids are that they don't get good representation for app development like the iPhone does. The apps in the droid market seem lacking in variety in my opinion, only due to the fact that people rather develop for the iPhone first (compare the Facebook app on iPhone vs droid - droid's sucks ass).

Rumors of the CDMA iPhone 4 are growing though and if Sprint/Verizon does get the iPhone I will be leaving my droid for one. Droids are really starting to grow big but I still have to give it to the iPhone when it comes to screen (biggest reason i want it) and support. Hopefully Apple will get their shit fixed by then.

^^ Why not just use the Native GTalk (google talk) app?

Because outside of the US, hardly anyone uses it yet unfotunately. Furthermore, WhatsApp can be installed on Androids (beta), iPhone, BB and Symbian S60 (Nokia).

Rumors of the CDMA iPhone 4 are growing though and if Sprint/Verizon does get the iPhone I will be leaving my droid for one. Droids are really starting to grow big but I still have to give it to the iPhone when it comes to screen (biggest reason i want it) and support. Hopefully Apple will get their shit fixed by then.

Screen? The AMOLED (or whatever it's called) screen on my galaxy is hella good.

Screen? The AMOLED (or whatever it's called) screen on my galaxy is hella good.

I haven't seen the screen on the Galaxy yet but I have heard very good things about it, and yeah its an AMOLED.

But... it's a Samsung phone, and that bothers me. They're rather notorious for producing phones that fall apart. :(. I've owned two Samsung phones in the past and that was enough to call quits. I'm not sure how much warranty costs for you but I highly recommend it. Especially with a phone that's a slider, those are always prone to becoming flimsy very quickly.

i have to say i think its the opposite... the one thing samsung phones have is durability

if anything lg has the bad durability (countless number of phones ive gone through)

it may be that u got the made in china phones instead of some other places

i noticed even w same model the marking can be different (along w quality)

I haven't seen the screen on the Galaxy yet but I have heard very good things about it, and yeah its an AMOLED.

But... it's a Samsung phone, and that bothers me. They're rather notorious for producing phones that fall apart. :(. I've owned two Samsung phones in the past and that was enough to call quits. I'm not sure how much warranty costs for you but I highly recommend it. Especially with a phone that's a slider, those are always prone to becoming flimsy very quickly.

btw i want to get galaxy s when it shows for verizon and tether an ipad and mac... do u guys do this??

Does it have to be the official release? Because you can upgrade to Froyo now if you wanted.

Verizon public testing should start within the next couple of days. I'd see the official release late this month/early October.

yeah i heard. im just completely a n00b when it comes to technology and this new phone (even though it isnt the most integrated droid phone) has needed quite some time to get adjusted to.

I know downloading it is done through tethering(?). I think thats what the term was called. Would anyone be down to give a tutorial? :D

Woke up to the Froyo update on my incredible. :)

Just did this update, added a bunch of verizon bloatware that always runs and eats my battery. Ugh. Why would i want to pay 10 bucks a month for verizon navigator if i already have google navigation.