Jump to content
LFC4ever

The Flat Head

Recommended Posts

Great fades on those. The pointy pockets are so weird though, no idea what they were thinking with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking the same about those back pockets. Nicely worn in jeans+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, i_denim said:

Does anybody have post soak/wash measurements for FH 3012 https://rivetandhide.com/the-flat-head-3012-straight-tapered-jean.html?___store=defaultFlat Head 3012 Straight Tapered

I seem to gather Flat Head shrinks more than anything else so upsizing is recommended.

I have the FH3002, but they are made of the same fabric. Maybe you can use mine as reference:

Before shrinkage: Waist 30, Rise 9.75, Back rise 13.5, Thigh 11, Knee 8, Hem 7, Inseam 37

After shrinkage: Waist 28, Rise 9, Back rise 12.5, Thigh 10.5, Knee 7.25, Hem 6.5, Inseam 34.5

Machine wash at 60 celcius for half an hour

Edited by keybladehero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, keybladehero said:

I have the FH3002, but they are made of the same fabric. Maybe you can use mine as reference:

Before shrinkage: Waist 30, Rise 9.75, Back rise 13.5, Thigh 11, Knee 8, Hem 7, Inseam 37

After shrinkage: Waist 28, Rise 9, Back rise 12.5, Thigh 10.5, Knee 7.25, Hem 6.5, Inseam 34.5

Machine wash at 60 celcius for half an hour

Thanks, that's very helpful and that is an awful amount of shrinkage on the waistband. Did they stretch back an inch after wearing them?

I need 37 after shrinkage so I should buy what is labelled as 39 I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Double post

Edited by tigerstrom
...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, i_denim said:

Thanks, that's very helpful and that is an awful amount of shrinkage on the waistband. Did they stretch back an inch after wearing them?

I need 37 after shrinkage so I should buy what is labelled as 39 I guess.

I think a size 38 is the way to go then. Next size is 40 and that maybe too big? Have you measured your old pair and compared with the sizechart? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, i_denim said:

Thanks, that's very helpful and that is an awful amount of shrinkage on the waistband. Did they stretch back an inch after wearing them?

I need 37 after shrinkage so I should buy what is labelled as 39 I guess.

it stretched to 29 but I didn't notice it until now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking of picking up a FH card holder off Self Edge once they restock the black ones.... or getting another Wild Child but this time in black.

I already have the other color Wild Child and have used it for years. It's an awesome piece. But the black one looks awesome too with the red lining. Wonder what the aging would be like on the black leather. 

Decisions decisions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What does the name “The Flat Head” mean? I am sorry if it has already been discussed. I am kinda attracted to the name and wondering if it’s a slang or denim terminology I missed.

i can only drink so much bourbon while I wait for some Japanese pair to reach me. Sigh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, i_denim said:

What does the name “The Flat Head” mean? I am sorry if it has already been discussed. I am kinda attracted to the name and wondering if it’s a slang or denim terminology I missed.

i can only drink so much bourbon while I wait for some Japanese pair to reach me. Sigh!

Flat Head refers to engine technology and goes well with the motorist/Americana vibe the manufacturer wishes to evoke.

What did you end up ordering?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Critical Observer said:

Flat Head refers to engine technology and goes well with the motorist/Americana vibe the manufacturer wishes to evoke.

What did you end up ordering?

Oh that’s embarrassing for a self proclaimed car enthusiast.

okayamadenim is taking forever to source anything in my size and ship it. They are completely sold out on all high tapered options from pure blue Japan, Japan Blue. They don’t sell the Momotaro high tapered ones 0405 or 0605. They don’t sell Flat head either. I have store credit so trying to use that, will start buying from the manufacturers directly.

if nothing, they will ship the 20th anniversary PBJ XX-019 next week.

whether Flat Head 3012 gets ordered tonight will be a function of how inspirational is the bourbon. I can always wear two pair on alternate days to get the fades.

i think am gonna move to Japan soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bourbon followed by denim purchases,  we've all been there...

Check Rivet and Hide out, there shipping is great, good stock selection,  spot on measurements on the site. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Geeman said:

Bourbon followed by denim purchases,  we've all been there...

Check Rivet and Hide out, there shipping is great, good stock selection,  spot on measurements on the site. 

@i_denimYup, they are excellent. Plus this weekend they are having 15% sale on most of their stuff in store. Great opportunity to buy something. I know I will be making use of it

Edited by Niro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Niro said:

@i_denimYup, they are excellent. Plus this weekend they are having 15% sale on most of their stuff in store. Great opportunity to buy something. I know I will be making use of it

Oh I'm glad the Bourbon knocked me out last night else I would have hated to wake up to this.

Now I have the FH in my cart and an alarm on my cell phone for the sale to begin :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got some sweet stuff heading my way this week. Haven't been this excited for deliveries in awhile. 

May be finally time to learn how to post photos. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An old flannel 2nd happened to have in stock, from 2016 maybe?

The "3 tabs for breakfast" one Self Edge had awhile back. Always liked that pattern, hoping it works out. 

I also got a black Wild Child, pretty excited for that one. Was also thinking of getting a native check, but I'm going to wait a bit for that one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Flat Head F380 - 8,5 Months,3 Rainsoak.

 Jump to instagram for more updates ------->>>  @F380_Gif

26796277188_e397849e4a_z.jpg

26796276198_4769c7e87d_z.jpg

26796274998_5dbedd4123_z.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today is one of the most exciting days. Just opened the package from RivetandHide and tried the FlatHead 3012 W38L36. It was lose by one inch on waist and is known to shrink so decided to keep. The inseam is over 39 inches and two of me could fit in. I wear 30-32 inseam so I hope it shrinks and then I can get it hemmed to 34 and wear with a double cuff. Next time, will request chainstitch hemming as they don't have it in India.

10 minutes of cold soak and it shrank so much on the waist that I pulled it out. Just soaking lower legs now in hot water to maximize shrinkage.

I got tired of waiting so ripped the tags apart this time. If it shrinks too much, will buy another pair in size 40. Its it's lose, will wash it in hot water or buy a pair is size 36. I guess this is how it is done, one pair at a time.

Thanks everybody for your patience in dealing with my questions and thanks for recommending Danny at RivetandandHide. The overall buying experience was nothing short of incredible. He is very well informed and very helpful.

Edited by i_denim
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would do a proper soak or wash of the whole pair instead of a 10min + just the lower legs. You won't get all the shrinkage out that way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea just properly soak it, or if Danny at rivetandhide has given you advice, then follow that. 

It's potentially gonna be a very tight fit for first lot of wears, but the denim will stretch back out in the waist.

Also once you soak, you wouldn't be able to return even if it still has tags. Not sure if this is what you were implying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Niro said:

Yea just properly soak it, or if Danny at rivetandhide has given you advice, then follow that. 

It's potentially gonna be a very tight fit for first lot of wears, but the denim will stretch back out in the waist.

Also once you soak, you wouldn't be able to return even if it still has tags. Not sure if this is what you were implying.

Thanks. Not planning to return it. Keeping it. Will get in it somehow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^FWIW, my tag size 38 3002 lost two inches in the waist and half an inch through the thigh, knee, and hem so i would recommend doing an hour soak in got water to get all the shrinkage out because this denim will continue to shrink with subsequent washes. 

 

Btw, post fit pics

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can’t return the jeans once you soak it. Anyway recommend you to machine wash then 40 Celsius full cycle to get all the shrinkage out. Waist should shrink at most 2 inches. Colder climate countries tend to hot soak their jeans with hot running tap water... but since you are in India you probably don’t have hot tap water. You can try fill a bucket of hot water but the temperature will cool down and wouldn’t be as effective as continuous running hot tap water 

Edited by keybladehero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Luisa via Roma (US)
    Brand - 125 x 125