LFC4ever

The Flat Head

11,830 posts in this topic

Yeah. 

is anybody rocking to 3012 model ?? seems like a rare one... I need the high rise though

^ Sure, I have a pair of the 3012, as do a couple other people on the forum. Though I don't think I've seen a worn-in pair anywhere yet. What would you like to know?

My method: turn inside out, let soak in water for 20 mins and make more pliable, stick in hot wash alone without detergent, heavy/spin cycle and all. Hasn't steered me wrong yet.

6 hours ago, FeloniousMonk said:

^ Sure, I have a pair of the 3012, as do a couple other people on the forum. Though I don't think I've seen a worn-in pair anywhere yet. What would you like to know?

Well I am curious as to if the taper is around the thigh/knee area or more around the hem... I am 6'3" and sometimes my knee protrudes into the lower section of the jeans so I would prefer the taper to end more towards the hem if ya see what i mean

I've had the 3012, for a size 33 (post wash) the knee measures about 9" across and the 34 about 9.5". That is BiG style 13" down from the crotch. HTH.

The 3012 has a really even taper through the entire leg below mid-thigh, with a lot below the knee. It's a very strong carrot shape with an almost billowy top block and steady taper from the thighs down to the small leg opening. I don't think you will necessarily have an issue with the knee being too narrow, as my pair does not feel tight around the knee at all. It's just a bit of an extreme look, so be sure you will be ok with that.

I have a front loader and no problems. I've always thought that the front loader is much more gentle than a top loader.. 

just got my F380,so what do you guys think about the fit?

fit 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

Once the butt area stretches a bit you'll be golden ;) Looks good! Just wore my F380s myself today, such a great cut.

2 hours ago, indigoslaves said:

just got my F380,so what do you guys think about the fit?

fit 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

What size is that ? Thanks looks fine to me 

3002 at 9 months. IPhone 7 pics. i need a real camera to capture all the contrast and colors...

IMG_3441.JPG

IMG_3442.JPG

IMG_3443.JPG

IMG_3444.JPG

I visited the Flat Head headquarters recently which was pretty fun.

We were met at the train station by J. Attila Antal (he’s the newest guy doing what Cold Summer on SuFu used to do) and his boss, Masaki Horiuchi. Considering that they and I were dressed completely in FH/RJB gear, it was easy to spot each other. They took our bags, despite us trying to refuse (I noticed that the Japanese are very insistent on carrying bags for you and they are much better at it than Americans) and drove us in a van to Chikuma, where the Flat Head headquarters are located. We met with Kobayashi-San, founder and owner of The Flat Head very briefly before going over to the Stockburg leather factory to see how their leather goods are made.

rSoSonO.jpg

gH85xFm.jpg

Jtox7vK.jpg

vHUOikC.jpg

OOvYVZW.jpg

This was quite impressive. ‘Factory’ is a bit of a misnomer here as the only machines in the whole building were the sewing machines they used for hemming and jean repairs. The closest thing to a machine they had that was used on the leather was a hand operated press to cut out the leather and press the logos into certain items. We met the man who runs the Stockburg facility and they gladly allowed us to film and take pictures the entire time, probably because they were happy to show off just how hand made everything is in the facility. I am a massive Flat Head/RJB fan, so the fact that I was beyond impressed should not surprise anyone. They do everything from the sewing, to the edge finishing, to even cutting the holes by hand with only the simplest tools. Downstairs was where the outer parts of the wallets and bags were done and the inner linings were done upstairs.

They also gave us a demonstration of how they do their denim repairs which was pretty cool. It was a lot of fun seeing how my wallet that I bought over a year ago was made and I must say I feel even more sure that I made the right choice buying a Flat Head wallet. They even had one of their sewers teach me how to sew for a bit! I was terrible, but it was quite fun and it gave me an appreciation for what they and other leather craftsmen do.

Kobayashi-San actually showed up while I was sewing and we then went to his house from there. Well, when I say house, I mean houses. He owns an entire block basically- 3 houses and 5 garages. His daily driver is a twin turbo Mercedes wagon (if I’m not mistaken, I saw the same car parked outside of Konaka-San’s workshop, but I can’t be sure) and he also owns a limited edition Fiat 500, a Datsun 50 Bluebird SSS, a Chevelle SS (’66 or ’67 I believe), a ’57 Bel Air convertible, a Harley, a Kharmann Gia, a VW bus, and a Porsche Gt4 with a manual transmission for extra cool points. He even had a large amount of vintage Snap-On tools including Bel Air edition and Harley Davidson edition sets. The coolest thing was the custom Flat Head logo on one of his driveways and the fact that every car’s license plate said 3005.

TM12n3L.jpg

bccD26A.jpg

ZjQPvzT.jpg

lgJFrGS.jpg

He had even more crazy stuff inside one of the houses which he uses as his design studio. He showed us a pair of $15k WWII levis which made my Conners WWIIs seem like a bargain and an actual brick from the Indianapolis motor speedway. I won’t bore you all with the rest of this and I’ll skip ahead to lunch. We went to the second floor of one of his Googie’s Café restaurants and were served the best meal we had during the entire trip. This included all locally sourced fruits and vegetables in the salad (the salad dressing was yogurt-based and made fresh daily), French fries dipped in maple syrup (it made no sense, but it actually tasted good), 2 different pizzas (one normal, one with apples, honey, and maple syrup), some fresh beef, their take on hamburger, and mushroom risotto. It was kind of American food, kind of not. The ingredients were so good that everything actually worked really well together. Apparently Nagano is famous for their apples so they even feed the cows with them and I will say it was some of the best beef I have ever eaten. For desert, we had their frozen yogurt which apparently won ‘best frozen yogurt in Japan’ one year. It was definitely the best I have ever had.

1RJwdoI.jpg

Pcm9p5e.jpg

AG09emN.jpg

Kn1krQE.jpg

9bh2Lea.jpg

Finally, we went to another Googie’s restaurant that also housed a sizeable Flat Head store. I purchased an RJB rayon shirt and two rings that I picked up at a store in Osaka. I also bought a necklace with dice pendants because I really don’t care for feather pendants that seem to be all you can find. MY brother walked out with an RJB loopwheel t shirt with felt letters and a stunning RJB seafoam green dress shirt (easily the coolest shirt he bought the whole trip). Finally, I bought him a wallet from stockburg as a thanks for bringing me on the trip. As it turns out, that wallet is only sold in Chiikuma which makes it even more special. We did the gift exchange here as well and we received signed Flat Head bandanas from Kobayashi-San and he received the bourbon. Apparently he does not drink much anymore, but he was thrilled nonetheless. We also offered to show them around and buy them dinner when they are in LA next. They were particularly interested in my brother’s offer to take them on a tour of his workplace (he works in aerospace.)

r9w5awE.jpg

QQyY1zR.jpg

zDbCEQB.jpg

A couple of shots of what I bought:

RJB rayon shirt:

5SrYX0g.jpg

RJB and Flat Head rings (usually worn on separate hands)

WyFc7vH.jpg

RJB/Flat Head necklace with Flat Head dice (I adore dice)

G8RyVui.jpg

^ jesus those are some awesome pics. Kobyashi is a baller. Flathead must be insanely profitable for him to afford all those cars and property.

1 hour ago, 1fookntitefd said:

^ jesus those are some awesome pics. Kobyashi is a baller. Flathead must be insanely profitable for him to afford all those cars and property.

Thanks! He definitely is. I'm not sure if it's all because of Flat Head. He does quite a lot of other things. He's even involved in beauty pageants even.

Wow. Cars, clothes, and hoes ... he is living the dream

Great write up dude, that must have been some experience. The rayon shirt looks really good too.

At one time, I'm pretty sure there was a Ferrari or two in that garage, as well. 

Looks like an amazing trip and experience. Thanks for taking  the time to share! K-san is definitely baller. 

13 hours ago, Maynard Friedman said:

Great write up dude, that must have been some experience. The rayon shirt looks really good too.

Thanks! I'm loving the shirt. The rayon is so perfect for summer.

@BAerts I wouldn't be surprised. There may have been one in his personal garage. It wasn't open.

@mpukas It was definitely fun and yeah he's a total baller. 

Great pics and writeup. The current Stockburg studio used to be the FH office, the area where you took pictures was the stock area until my last few months there. All the Stockburg people are super nice.

How'd you guys get the VIP treatment? This is the kind of thing that visitors from FH dealers usually experience, haha.

Man I miss Googies. Their food is great. Great pickups too, I love that rayon shirt.

51 minutes ago, Cold Summer said:

Great pics and writeup. The current Stockburg studio used to be the FH office, the area where you took pictures was the stock area until my last few months there. All the Stockburg people are super nice.

How'd you guys get the VIP treatment? This is the kind of thing that visitors from FH dealers usually experience, haha.

Man I miss Googies. Their food is great. Great pickups too, I love that rayon shirt.

Thanks! That's interesting. I did not know that when I was there. Yes, the Stockburg people are all super nice!

Honestly, I just met Kobayashi-San at Self Edge last year and talked with him and Istvan for a little over an hour while wearing nothing but Flat Head and RJB gear (I have a lot of it). He invited me to come to see Chikuma if I ever came to Japan and I took him up on the offer as soon as this trip was finalized. I can't believe the treatment I received either! Googie's was the best part. That food is unbelievable.

Guys need since advice. Been wearing my jeans for 9+ months and the crotch is wearing thin and threads are coming loose to the point that there is a small hole... Should I send this in for repair now for preventive maintenance or should I wait until the fabric really wears out?

IMG_3478.JPG

IMG_3479.JPG

IMG_3480.JPG

You can prevent that from growing for a while with a simple repair you can do at home. Get some (ideally poly-core cotton, but doesn't really matter) thread, which you can find at any drug store, dollar store, craft store, etc, and use a whip stitch to sew the front and back halves of the crotch seam together. Here's a quick diagram that maybe will help:

IMG_1769.thumb.JPG.e45ec4d845821a7d4d0c0e2c81827265.JPG

The premise is: cut about a foot of thread, thread a needle with one end and tie a knot at the other end. Start from the inside of the jeans and wrap the thread around the tearing seam as shown in the left side of the diagram. You will end up with something sort of like the right side at the end -- don't worry if it doesn't look exactly right. Then sew back through to the inside of the jeans, tie a knot and cut the excess thread, and you're good for at least another few months of wear!

Thanks guys! This is the first time I've seen this happen to me as none of my other pairs have had this issue yet...

That exact thing happened to me on my RJB jeans... I recommend what chicote says. I did that and it worked great. Basically, I would start to worry about repair when the actual denim gets a hole, not just the area around that stitching!

It looks to me like the stitching is still doing it's job but that the denim there is starting to split along where it's folded for the seam. I would say get that repaired while there's still material under there that the repair can be anchored to. I've heard a few repair people say that if you can see weft, it's time to get it repaired.

6 hours ago, itsbenhere said:

That exact thing happened to me on my RJB jeans... I recommend what chicote says. I did that and it worked great. Basically, I would start to worry about repair when the actual denim gets a hole, not just the area around that stitching!

I'll have to watch out for this on mine. I haven't seen anything like this yet...