The Flat Head

LFC4ever

Regardless of any developments, I will be enjoying my clothes, that's one thing for sure! :)

I don't mean to moan and beg people to talk about flat head, that wouldn't be fun at all. And I agree that the other threads have more excitement to them, thanks to all the different members contributing.

Im really just genuinely curious as to the reason why some brands elicit so much excitement. But, different strokes yadda yadda. If you told me I couldn't read another thing about OOE, FC, WH, I really couldn't care less. Yet, after just one season I'd be super bummed about an FH freeze, even though I have almost everything I want so I don't feel the need to buy a bunch of stuff anymore.

Thankfully, ive made a couple friends online based on a mutual love of FH. And I've met kobayashi-San, so I'm a pretty happy guy!

Kyle, I'm still bummed you stopped working for them, that would've been awesome to meet you in person on one of their trips to the US! Thankfully, the "new guy" istvan is seriously awesome too and a great addition to the team!

"Im really just genuinely curious as to the reason why some brands elicit so much excitement. But, different strokes yadda yadda. "

I think you answered your own question Ben, the people who post in the other brands threads are as passionate about them as you are for TFH except they may not stick to one brand as fastidiously as you do.

I have TFH T's and sweats, hopefully a shirt by the end of the year, and their T's are hands down the best on the market. That doesn't mean I'm not interested in what other brands offer or would only buy a flathead t in the future, that would just be limiting my own experience and enjoyment of the type of clothing we all obsess over!

It's similar to when I was young, I was hip hop to the bone and would refuse to listen to or even acknowledge any music that wasn't in that genre. What I came to realise that by doing so I was limiting myself and missing out on a whole world of great music.

Also, brands do fall in and out of favor, but I wouldn't be surprised if the current interest stayed toward the current brands. It seems like the most experienced members are interested in brands like WH, FC, etc, and I can't see a random swing to flat head, it just doesn't make sense. 

It all goes in cycles.  Just about every brand has had some higher than average level of interest here at some point.  

The current situation is pretty simple.... most of the active posters here are older guys (30 and up) that like a regular fitting jean.  The brands you mentioned offer that.  Flat Head, other than a couple models like the 3009 and 3012, doesn't. 

Edited by setterman

Broark,

I wear a L or XL in MF, L or XL in IH, and 44 in TFH flannels and XL TGH T-shirts. The necks are a little snug on TFH T-shirts.

I think I just kind of got unlucky with the FH shirt I got. It was the long sleeve spring weight buffalo check flannel.

The 46 I ordered came out closer to 44 in. in the chest and tapers down a ton around the midsection.

I still have it and wear it open over t-shirts and it looks fine but it would look silly if I wore it buttoned.

It all goes in cycles.  Just about every brand has had some higher than average level of interest here at some point.  

The current situation is pretty simple.... most of the active posters here are older guys (30 and up) that like a regular fitting jean.  The brands you mentioned offer that.  Flat Head, other than a couple models like the 3009 and 3012, doesn't.

The 3012 is a super weird fitting jean, I'm not surprised that's not popular at all!

The 3009 is basically a '66 cut, the 3005 is a straight cut mid rise with very little taper, and the 3003 is basically like a 1947. I'd bet that out of those 3 most here could find something they liked, it's just instead preferred to go something more low key like the brands I've previously mentioned.

Hi, I would appreciate some advice on sizing the 2111. There are a lot of different measures depending on the websites. For a S30 it goes from 30" (which would be fine) to 33.5" (which wouldn't work at all). They're given 31" for the S30 on the T&Y website.

Most of my pairs are tagged S29 and stretched from usually 30" (being raw or one wash) to now 31".

I love my 3012's, but I do agree it's an odd/unique fitting pair of jeans (definitely a bit of a nut crusher at times).

Glad I haven't given them a shot.  I've been interested in FH since I first came to sufu, but it seems like all their models don't have enough rise.  From SE's measurements, I thought the 3012 might be something that could work for me.  

Glad I haven't given them a shot. I've been interested in FH since I first came to sufu, but it seems like all their models don't have enough rise. From SE's measurements, I thought the 3012 might be something that could work for me.

That's surprising. The 3012 is a super hard taper and I didn't see you as the sort looking for that.

Glad I haven't given them a shot.  I've been interested in FH since I first came to sufu, but it seems like all their models don't have enough rise.  From SE's measurements, I thought the 3012 might be something that could work for me.  

Don't get me wrong, great jeans - just a tad uncomfortable at times. I think more recently the issues have been on my end, the dreaded weight gain : ( 

The taper isn't as severe as most make out as 99% of people need them hemmed at least 2-3inches. Once that is done the leg opening ends up nearer 8inches so not so drastic.... that's my experience of them and I am over 6ft so ,y hemming wasn't too much.

The taper isn't as severe as most make out as 99% of people need them hemmed at least 2-3inches. Once that is done the leg opening ends up nearer 8inches so not so drastic.... that's my experience of them and I am over 6ft so ,y hemming wasn't too much.

Depends on the size you got. I would wear a 32 in 3012 which would have a small hem vs thigh. Where the 3009 and NF collab I wear a 34 which does have an 8" hem roughly each.

Claytonimus, where the HECK did you get those 3005s?! Those are some seriously rare NOS jeans right there.

Yahoo Japan Auctions. Won at about 24,000 yen, and was the only bidder. Do you know the time frame in which they were made with these specs?

I've gotta stay away from Yahoo japan auctions, I've bought too much camera gear and denim related stuff recently 

Last denim pickup was a Flat Head 7010w in size 46 which fits me absolutely amazingly, been wearing it 5 days a week for the past month and the combs on the arms are starting to take off fading wise. I'll probably give it a wash some time in the next two weeks 

Flat Head shirt sizing was the most difficult thing for me to nail, I'm still not convinced that a western flat head shrit will ever fit me properly unless i find a 44 WR, the 46 just looked too sloppy, the work shirt 46 looks great tho 

To get back to the popularity discussion: It’s definitely true that Flat Head produces a vast range of products and I also own 3 shirts of them (Denim, Chambray and Winter Flannel). But this is also true for Full Count, Warehouse or Sugar Cane. Those brands also offer shirts, shoes, whatever. Still the main topic on this entire forum is jeans and denim.

The only other brands I know of which have active discussion about the complete range they offer are: Ironheart on their own forum, Mister Freedom on most forums I know, Freewheelers on Denimbro.

I think it just happens that on Sufu Superdenim really only jeans are in the main focus with small discussion about other offerings of those brands which are in the current spotlight. But for example on Denimbro, Flat Head doesn’t have a strong group of followers.

Regarding Reddit RawDenim: I find the interest, talks and new topics slowed down recently. But this is just my subjective impression.

There's always peaks of interest for certain brands. Around 2009 it was Samurai and FH, then Momotaro got hyped for a while, then Roy, then IH got bigger and bigger, then Strike Gold, now it's the smaller brands like OOE & TCB.

Maybe it's because the standard items have been thoroughly discussed after a while. Everybody knows now how FH fades. They don't offer a broad variety of denim in their core Range (3...denim, 1...denim and maybe the 20 oz anniversary denim) so there's not much additional interest in their denim. And denim is still 90% of the Content here.

Another factor might be, that the Forum has shifted from liking super high contrast fades to vintage character, that brands like FC and WH offer at ist best.

But I agree with Ben that FH is on par with the best manufacturers in everything they do and they have such a broad range that it would be fun to see more of it.

(On a sidnote: Samurai also does crazy amounts of stuff that never gets discussed here. Motorclub, fishing gear, etc.etc. But that's very japanese...)

Edited by Max Power

Yahoo Japan Auctions. Won at about 24,000 yen, and was the only bidder. Do you know the time frame in which they were made with these specs?

If the patch was the old style (like on the fake on the last page or so), then I'd say 2007, but since it has the modern patch design I'd say 2008-2009-ish. It may be earlier than that though.

It's also worth pointing out in this discussion that there's not a huge variety to FH's denim, their 14.5, 16, 18, and 20 oz. denim all looks and fades pretty much the same, with little difference besides the weight; the 5000 series isn't that interesting, and nobody has the natural indigo blend models like 3005-A or 3001-A. I am really interested in seeing how the left-hand twill Zimbabwe denim in the D109FXR fades, but that's more of an RJB thing anyway.

Edited by Cold Summer

This forum may mostly be about denim, but it's actually thanks to this forum that I branched out into other items. It wasn't too long ago, that I would never think of spending more than £20 on a t-shirt or shirt, or more than £80 on boots, or more than £10 on accessories, but here I am now spending $80 on a cotton hat, £70 on a leather belt, etc

The more I have read people's comments and seen their pictures of clothing, my curiosity in things other than denim and why they are priced so highly compared to mass market stuff has increased. The more I read up on here and articles else where on the production processes, the more I have become a convert to investing my hard earned cash to awesome quality clothing and stuffs

Edited by Niro

I find it interesting that the jeans for all of these brands get the vast majority of attention. Don't get me wrong, the denim is definitely good, but many of these labels, even the smaller ones like TCB or Dry Bones, have really good apparel ranges. For Flat Head and Iron Heart, I actually find their jeans probably the most boring/typical of what they offer. Shirts, jackets, sweaters, work pants are all much more appealing to me. I'm not sure why the denim gets most of the focus actually. You can only have so many pairs of jeans, but we all need shirts and such too and those guys do it better than most (and for fairly reasonable prices)

True, jeans get the attention. Though shirts tend to be a bit more difficult to fit and therefore are stuck with a smaller slice of the population. Every company we talk about produces at least 2-4 different fits, each of which will suit different figure types and work better at different sizes/proportions. But they'll only produce one shirt fit... Maybe two.

This is what gets me with some of the beautiful flannels and other shirts made by a lot of these companies - they fit me like tents around the mid-section if anything fits the shoulders (with the sole exception of Flat Head's western cut, actually). I get most of my shirts tailored, but don't want to do that to beautifully cut and chainstitched shirts from a nice smaller Japanese brand.

So I can find jeans that fit from nearly everyone, but shirts that fit from nearly no one. It's way easier to talk about the jeans.

(Boots though, that's the next thing y'all are getting me to spend on.)

Agree about the sizing difficulties with TFH. I own a few different things by them and other than the jeans, which fit perfectly, all the shirts have some fit issues. I love everything about them otherwise and still wear all of them frequently, but I wish the fit was a bit better for my body. I do have to say that of all the brand stores I visited in Japan, the flat head store in nagano had by far the most amazing stuff. Anyways here is a crappy pic of all my flat head gear

QE7JaET.jpg

I love that short sleeve!

Feloniousmonk, they actually have 4 fits for every almost every shirt fabric, seems like a lot to me! Western and work shirt, and wide body versions for both. There are many options.

I almost agree that their denim is the least interesting in the range. And it's my favorite denim, so that says more of how highly I think of all the other amazing stuff they make. Mainly leather everything and shirts.

Instead of "banging on about why flat head doesn't get talked about", I think my more fundamental question is why people don't focus more on shirts and outerwear and accessories, and yes it's superdrnim but still. Because I'm confident that if more did flat head would be talked about more, because what they're doing in terms of fabrics is just really unparalleled.

And I'm telling you guys, the WR is a real option now that probably most in the west should be buying instead of the standard. It'll never be as loose as IH (not a bad thing) but it's still a big difference from their newer stuff.

I love that short sleeve!

Feloniousmonk, they actually have 4 fits for every almost every shirt fabric, seems like a lot to me! Western and work shirt, and wide body versions for both. There are many options.

I almost agree that their denim is the least interesting in the range. And it's my favorite denim, so that says more of how highly I think of all the other amazing stuff they make. Mainly leather everything and shirts.

Instead of "banging on about why flat head doesn't get talked about", I think my more fundamental question is why people don't focus more on shirts and outerwear and accessories, and yes it's superdrnim but still. Because I'm confident that if more did flat head would be talked about more, because what they're doing in terms of fabrics is just really unparalleled.

And I'm telling you guys, the WR is a real option now that probably most in the west should be buying instead of the standard. It'll never be as loose as IH (not a bad thing) but it's still a big difference from their newer stuff.

overall im not into that type of shirting (flannels , western shirts) so I just don't look into it.